Topical debate

Postby Lyskerrys » Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:41 am

Thanks, Chris.

A couple of minor corrections to the phrases page:

silver = arghans
gold = owr

silvery = arghansek
golden = owrek

The -ek ending means something like 'abounding in', hence Hornek near Pz, '(land) abounding in iron'.
Lyskerrys

Postby Morgarrow » Wed Sep 07, 2005 5:13 pm

Then there's the stennack in St Ives and I think up St Austell way ie tin ground/ ground abounding in tin. What I was wondering was is there any placename suggesting the place is abounding in copper or other minerals?
Morgarrow

Postby Lyskerrys » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:05 pm

How about the Cober (copper) Valley below Helston? (Strictly I think this is named after the Cober River which runs through it).
Lyskerrys

Postby Lyskerrys » Mon Sep 12, 2005 2:19 pm

There's a new declaration here (CSWF) which allows Cornish speakers to show their support for the move towards a single written form. The website says:

This campaign aims to find a way to reduce disagreement between the various spelling systems of Cornish, and develop a positive environment in which to move towards one official form by an inclusive process. Our goal is to bring the whole language community together around a Standard Written Form of the language, harnessing all our individual talents, enthusiasm and resources for the good of the language.

This Standard Written Form is to be arrived at by consensus, that is, with the agreement of all orthographic groups. It is not about winners and losers, but a settled will within the language community.

I would urge all interested people to sign this form and show their support for the move to a single written form.
Lyskerrys

Postby Lyskerrys » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:26 am

Anyone else going to the meeting about promoting the Cornish language at Tremough on Saturday? The topics include: finding a way to move towards a single written form; Cornish signs and teaching Cornish.

Agas gweles ena!

PS - you're too late if you haven't already signed up...:(
Lyskerrys

Return to Cornwall24 Discussion Board