Gorgeous George

A more lighthearted forum where you can post amusing anecdotes, jokes and anything that tickles your fancy without the fear of serious dicussion!!

Postby Spiritinthesk » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:55 am

Do any of you know anything about a guy called Rob Harding from Penzance?

He's recorded a song all about Saint George.

I know lots of people think we should have a bank holiday on Saint George's day.

I read that Rob felt that we didn’t have a National song, (OK we have God Save The
Queen as an anthem, but the Anthem covers England, Ireland, Scotland and
Wales). So he spent his own money recoding this song 'Gorgeous George'.

You can hear a sample of the song on his web site.

http://www.robhardingproductions.com/
Spiritinthesk

Postby Zennorman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:36 am

I would be surprised if Rob Harding was Cornish. Many people in Cornwall do not regard themselves as English and do not celebrate St.George's day. Is he one of the many English eccentrics who have moved (or have been shipped) to Penzance to doss over the last 30 years?

I think he has wasted his money.
Zennorman

Postby Zennorman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 11:36 am

I would be surprised if Rob Harding was Cornish. Many people in Cornwall do not regard themselves as English and do not celebrate St.George's day. Is he one of the many English eccentrics who have moved (or have been shipped) to Penzance to doss over the last 30 years?

I think he has wasted his money.
Zennorman

Postby Spiritinthesk » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:05 pm

I don't know where he from, but its a free country, you can live anywhere. And I don't think he's wasted his money, good on him for having a go.

You don't call yourself English? The what do you call yourself?
Spiritinthesk

Postby Zennorman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:19 pm

You can live anywhere if you have the money to do so and can get a job there, so its not really a free country.

He has wasted his money if he wants a local market for this. This will not interest most Cornish people. Indeed, I doubt it will interest most people.

And for the record, I am Cornish lilke many thousands of others. You really should have done your research.
Zennorman

Postby Spiritinthesk » Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:49 pm

Yes but you still live in England. I'm Scottish but I choose to live where I live because of work and liking the area.

Spiritinthesk

Postby P_Trembath » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:11 pm

Whoi is "Cornwall Television"?

Why does this "Rob Harding" drawn to look like Rolf Harris?

Rob Harding who lives in Penzance Cornwall. A total eccentric, wears flared tartan trousers and carries a walking stick with a bicycle bell attached to it

(Note to self:- make appointment with "Specsavers", eyesight must be really bad if I have not noticed a tartan wearing Rolf Harris lookalike ringing a bell about town)

If your Scottish, why would you wish to promote an English "National" song?

You're not Gorden Brown by any chance?
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.
P_Trembath

Postby Spiritinthesk » Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:15 pm

I'm not promoting it, I read about it on another forum and I was interested in any of you guys new anything about it.

And just because I'm Scottish it doesn't make me 'not interested' in something.

Spiritinthesk

Postby Zennorman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Spiritinthesk said:

Yes but you still live in England. I'm Scottish but I choose to live where I live because of work and liking the area.

England claims the territory but ethnically and my identification is Cornish. I daresay as a Scotsman you would have been none too chuffed if your nation had been annexed and became part of England. The Scots have kicked up enough fuss over the arrangements of the last 300 years.

People do not always choose to live in an area, sometimes work takes them. Lets hope that you are not taking the work of a Cornish person.
Zennorman

Postby Zennorman » Sun Apr 11, 2010 6:12 pm

Spiritinthesk said:

England claims the territory but ethnically and my identification is Cornish. I daresay as a Scotsman you would have been none too chuffed if your nation had been annexed and became part of England. The Scots have kicked up enough fuss over the arrangements of the last 300 years.

People do not always choose to live in an area, sometimes work takes them. Lets hope that you are not taking the work of a Cornish person.
Zennorman

Postby truru » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:21 pm

Spiritinthesk said:

There's no automatic English nationality. Being born in England or Scotland makes us automatically and legally British, nothing else.

Scottish, English and Cornish are identities we choose, usually based on culture or upbringing.
truru

Postby Marhak » Mon Apr 12, 2010 12:01 pm

The Cornish existed as a people, and in this peninsula, long before the English ever moved out of their northern German bogs and crossed the North Sea.  In a nutshell, that's why we can never be "English".  England might claim Cornwall, but the legality of that is in serious doubt, as the Royal Commission on the Constitution pointed out in 1972.  That, I would suggest, is a non-Cornish source to be taken very seriously indeed.
Marhak

Postby Karesk » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:10 pm

It's worth remembering that St George (even in legend - he likely had no existence at all in reality) had no connection whatever with England. He was a popular figure of folklore in many countries (including Cornwall) which makes it the greater pity that he has come to be associated with English jingoism.
Karesk

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:56 pm

I met someone earlier in the year from Bulgaria. She told me that Saint George is a patron saint in her country. 
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...
Mark

Postby Zennorman » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:28 pm

This song this bloke is writing is even irrelevant for England, let alone Cornwall.

Good luck with thatConfused
Zennorman

Next

Return to Cornwall24 Lite