Blewetts Bakery

Post memories, nostalgia and blasts from the past here. We\'re looking for tales of yesteryear and how it \"were much better in the good ol days!\"

Postby Miffy » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:07 pm

Hi... I have recently found out that a distant relative founded Blewetts Bakery in Truro, I would love to hear if anyone has any info or memories of the bakery. All I know is that they have been bought out by Warrens
Miffy

Postby Angofbew » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:16 pm

Blewtts Bakery was on the Road to Malpas, a little further down from where Radio Cornwall is now. They had Shops all over Truro. I knew a number of People who worked there, but that was years ago. Oooops showing my age now.
Angofbew

Postby Miffy » Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:11 pm

I know I have seen the buildings with "Blewetts Bakery " on them as I drive past Lemon Quay and seen the shop outside the cathedral. Winnie Hodge who I am told worked there all her life was an ancestor of mine. Mind, she was born well over 100 years ago!!!! so I doubt you knew her :lol:
Miffy

Postby cornishclive » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:08 pm

Hi

Don't know much more - but when I was growing up (70s + 80s) Blewetts had the bakery in Malpas Road - used walk past there every morning - wonderful smells. In those days there was shops in Victoria Square, Quay Street (both there still) one in King Street/Pydar Street (where Clinton Cards is more-or-less) and a second day shop in Lemon Street Market. Their present main branch in The Assembly Buildings (which only lost the Blewetts logo this year) was only moved into a few years ago - before it was an estate agents.

The Bakery closed a few years ago - Warrens now just have Bakeries at either end of the county. Shame, another Truro family business name lost.

Clive

cornishclive

Return to Memory Lane