Romans in England?

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.

Postby Abednego » Sat Jun 18, 2005 3:51 pm

you will find that people are actually quite clever. You will also discover that lots of people actually belong to a minority of some sort as well. A Kurd will say Turk for an easy life but probably not when you get to know him or her a little better, beyond buying souvenirs that is.

flb, there is no easy way to say this.

I had better reluctantly reveal now that I have spent a lot of time with minorities and have actually taught numerous Kurdish refugee youngsters and heard their stories of why their families became refugees - and taught minorities in England, Vietnamese youngsters and Muslims, and West Africans, West Indians, Sikhs, Indians, and Ethiopians...and worked with adults from many of those groups, and lived among many of them in England, and worked in Africa, and experienced the genuine cleverness at first hand; so I am not entirely convinced that I need any lessons from you about minorities and the complexity of the world. But thank you for your advice.
Abednego

Postby CJenkin » Sat Jun 18, 2005 5:58 pm

Fulub-le-Breton:

You're a bit patronising at times, aren't you?

Come on, Masterclass - pot kettle black :wink:
CJenkin

Postby Morgarrow » Sun Jun 19, 2005 8:40 am

i have encountered English folk who have tried to deny my right to describe myself as Cornish instead of English

I have met the same people flb! For the flat earth people - it might have made their life less stressful and easy if those people that discovered the earth was round kept quiet about it and just went on agreeing it was flat. :wink:
Morgarrow

Postby Fulub-le-Breton » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:00 pm

how do you get rid of a post?
Fulub-le-Breton

Postby Fulub-le-Breton » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:54 pm

Masterclass, sorry you feel patronised perhaps you are right.

Abdenego, good on you, i am happy you have done such worthy work and sorry if i have rubbed you up the wrong way, perhaps it is my frustration at the ignorance of the true nature of the UK that pervades in popular consciousness.

I encounter it all the time in France and it is something that the UK establishment seems to do little to combat.

During the D day events held here last year the media often referred to the UK forces as "Les Anglais", i think you will agree an injustice for the brave service men and women from the other home nations.

Forgive me for getting the wrong end of the stick but i thought that you were revelling in the fact that a large part of the world mistakes England for the UK. I thought that this was something that made you content, i am to cynical at times i know.

My basic point was that there is a world of variety out there and that it is worth scratching the surface, worth challenging peoples preconceptions and digging a little deeper.

Thank you for your honest feedback and i will endeavour to improve my writing style.

FLB
Fulub-le-Breton

Postby Angofbew » Wed May 24, 2006 9:43 pm

Fulub might be patronising at times but i am sure that it a lot better than being of an imperialist mind. I happen to think he talks a lot of sense, a lot more than some on here. There is a distinct difference between believing so called English concocted history and the facts, it takes an open mind wanting to find the truth to see through the mist. Alas for most they are happy in their own little land of make believe. English history is like a Dan Brown novel, a little bit of fact mixed with a pinch of make believe but put together in a way that makes it feasable.
Angofbew

Postby FlammNew » Wed May 24, 2006 9:58 pm

English history is like a Dan Brown novel, a little bit of fact mixed with a pinch of make believe but put together in a way that makes it feasable.

LOL!
FlammNew

Postby Kattell » Thu May 25, 2006 12:57 pm

Using the term "England" is fine when it is England and only England that one is referring to. However I have noticed over the last few years that in the media especially the term "England" is often used interchangably with the terms "Britain" and "UK" .

I'm sure its not meant to be some kind of grand political gesture or that it is in any way intended to be offensive but the facts stand that it is offensive for other countries of the UK to be wrongly bundled in as being English in this way. Its sloppy and lazy and it perpetuates the myth that it is OK to use the term "England" to refer to the whole of the UK.
Kattell

Postby Kattell » Thu May 25, 2006 1:00 pm

Also (while I'm on the subject :)) It seems very common for National news readers, weather presenters etc to refer to the English sports teams as being "us" or "ours". Being Cornish I take exception to that as I'm sure must the Welsh and Scottish viewers.
Kattell

Postby Abieuan » Thu May 25, 2006 8:56 pm

They don't do it so much now where Scotland is concerned, (they can't get away with it anymore), but there is still an "EnglandandWales" thing.

When Kernow forms it's own international sporting teams, then the London media will not be able to think of Kernow as a periphery of England.
I think sport has a great influence on national identity, too many Cornish people support England teams as they have been told that that is the country they live in.
I understand that sportsmen/women wish to compete at the highest level, and that joining an England team is their only option, but much more young talent could emerge through a Kernow option.
Abieuan

Postby Abieuan » Thu May 25, 2006 9:13 pm

Teach your sons and daughters to play soccer (sorry) and produce a world-class household name in the world.
Abieuan

Postby Coady » Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:44 pm

Um...slight deviation from "Romans in England"..somehow we've come right down to soccer... that English ball game.
We live in interesting times!
Coady

PreviousNext

Return to Cornwall Questions