Cornish Tartans Shop Redruth & Morton-Nance

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.

Re: Cornish Tartans Shop Redruth & Morton-Nance

Postby Marhak » Tue Jan 18, 2011 12:01 am

Careful, Tim - you're starting to agree with me!!!!! (Take two aspirins and see me in the morning).
Marhak

Postby Anselm » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:04 am

I'm feeling better already.

Trading Standards and the CAB can ber very helpful too.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates
Anselm

Postby Anselm » Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:05 am

To ber, or not to ber ...
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates
Anselm

Postby Anselm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:25 am

As I said, I and people I know have found both the CAB and Trading Standards very helpful in circumstances like this.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates
Anselm

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:42 am

I see Peter Morton Nance is the newest member so, (if not set up for ill! <trolls>) I look forward to his take on the above!
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...
Mark

Postby Mark » Wed Jan 19, 2011 12:46 am

Peter R.Morton-Nance rather.

Don't remember Morton Nance hyphenating his name...

But who am I?

Welcome, above member.
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...
Mark

Postby Anselm » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:04 am

Or who am-I?
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates
Anselm

Postby admin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:00 pm

I received this email yesterday. As Mr. Morton-Nance hasn't posted yet I thought I'd take the liberty....

I would like to reply to the criticism ASAP - I not sure who ANCIENTBRIT is but if he phones the shop it will be put through to my home number - within a week or so I will have my shop open in St Austell when the flooring is complete and the phone and internet is in situ - excruciating pain in my hip has meant it very difficult to travel to Redruth, I employed someone to look after the shop for a few months, November /December the sales appeared to drop considerable but stock had been dropping also, she wasn't turning up or keeping records properly - I honestly thought that no kilt orders were outstanding so I need to talk to him and the manufacturers urgently.

Because of the hip problem I we have been preparing to open a shop close to where I live. The orthopaedic surgeon is considering surgery so hopefully that will be quick and not interfere with the shop.

Until last weekend I understood someone was taking over the Redruth shop - that appears to have fallen through so I can now get an appropriate sign in the window.

Yes, my Dad, Ernest, designed the first Cornish Tartan and I have been involved in the sale of the tartan, with my Dad and Donald Rawe for 50 years

- originally "Cornish Tartan Productions". The family own the design rights on seven of the 18 Cornish Tartans, I have designed several, although my father claimed royalties on all sales we do not although my ambition is to enable the commercial production in Cornwall so maybe we should.

Peter R.. Morton-Nance
admin
Site Admin

Postby t2 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:05 pm

Well that's that sorted then?
t2

Postby Peter R.Morton-Nance » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:07 am

In to reply to the criticism - if ANCIENTBRIT phones the shop it will be put through to my home number until the new number is in situ.
This order would have been available about 21st December (the order, I see was dated 4th November). The company’s guidelines for orders say 6 weeks is what we aim for, but suppliers have long delays over Christmas and I believe for many top Scottish companies 11 weeks is an acceptable time for a bespoke garment as complicated and detailed as a full 8 yard kilt in full weight pure wool kilt cloth. We just try to do better than 12 weeks because it can generally be done and we’re Cornish.
Within a week or so when the flooring is complete and the phone and internet is set up I will have our new shop open in St Austell. Illness has meant it very difficult to travel to Redruth and although I have employed someone to look after the Redruth shop for 12 months, recently I have been unable to give enough supervision to the standard of the “customer experience” and consequently it appears this order was not collected for what ever reason but has now been delivered. Many of my customers know that because of my illness travelling to Redruth everyday became very painful, strong analgesics are not particularly compatible with driving, so since Christmas we have been moving the shop to St Austell. Until last weekend I understood someone was taking over the Redruth shop as an agent for Cornish Tartans - that appears to have fallen through for the moment so I can now get an appropriate sign in the window. However, Dream Day Bridal in Market Way Redruth will be acting as our agent.
The web site is currently being re-furbished by my nephew who has his own business in web design.
Yes, my Dad, Tony Morton-Nance – Gwas Gwethnoc, designed the first Cornish Tartan and I have been involved in the sale of the tartan for 50 years since I was 16, I was a partner at 17 along with my Dad (until some 25 years ago), Donald Rawe (until some 5 years ago) he designed the St Piran Dress Tartan, and Marie Prior a solicitors clerk also from Padstow - the original business was "Cornish Tartan Productions" and based in Padstow. During this time I have designed several family tartans and the Cornish Atlantic Blue and marketed the Black Cornish National. Dad was a nephew of Robert who was the second grand bard, founded the Old Cornwall Societies, and compiled the first Cornish English dictionary.
There are currently 18 Cornish Tartans; details of most of these are on our web site “cornishtartans.com”. My father maintained he never wanted “to make money out of the Cornish but to give back something of their heritage”, he tried hard to keep the prices to customers low he did this my charging royalties. The business still continues to try to keep to these principles. My ambition is to enable the proper Cornish commercial production of Cornish tartan in Cornwall, providing employment for Cornish folk, managed by Cornish “persons” – to ensure it is produced in the original shades and design, the “old gold” of the heavy weight kilt cloth and the ladies “saffron”. Perhaps the business should be chasing the other 37 or so websites and businesses selling Cornish Tartan for the 20% royalties instead of keeping the business viable with my NHS nurses pension.
Since circa 520AD, and King Cador, black and gold and the 15 gold bezants have distinguished the people of the Kingdom of Dumnomia the land we love and call Our Cornwall. Julius Caesar recorded in his “journal” that on his first landing on the mainland of Britain the warriors who met him and prevented him landing - the Brythonic Celts (the forebears of the Cornish, Welsh and Breton) - wore a short garment around the waist and a plaid pinned on both shoulders (Brythen – kilt or plaid and obviously where the name Britain originated - hail ANCIENTBRIT). The Scots at this time wore “the great kilt” – one large piece of cloth around the waist and pulled over one shoulder.
My apologies to my Redruth customers but because of the hip problem - I we have been preparing a new shop close to where I live where I can have more control over the business and deal with orders and hire. Despite some people wanting to force me out of being a purveyor of Cornish Kilts I don’t intend to go yet me ‘ansomes.
Peter R. Morton-Nance
Peter R.Morton-Nance

Postby Anselm » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:10 pm

Glad to see this is being resolved, and hope that Peter continues to recover.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates
Anselm

Previous

Return to Cornwall Questions