Arch druid of Wales in call to reject Britishness

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall

Arch druid of Wales in call to reject Britishness

Postby kbcl1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 11:40 pm

Next year's Olympic Games in England may provide us all with an opportunity to show others that the UK as a created state is in decline and to work further to its eventual end:

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/wales ... -28941581/
kbcl1

Re: Arch druid of Wales in call to reject Britishness

Postby Marhak » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:40 am

I can see what the Arch-druid is getting at: rejecting the homogenisation effect, "we're all one people", being pushed by London (when. of course, we're not all one people at all) I don't think it's Britishness itself that's being rejected here - after all, the Welsh and Cornish are the true Britons, before we had the title stolen away from us in the 18th century (hence our readoption of the term Celts). The name Britain is itself Celtic: Br. Pretannike > Latin Britannia, etc. The original P initial is still found in Welsh Prydain; and in the Cornish place-name Predannack ('British one; British headland', probably originally referring to the entire Lizard peninsula as a mariners' landmark.). The P shows it to be a really ancient place-name.
Marhak

Postby Cymro » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:26 am

Because the word has become debased, I refuse the description "British" of myself. I am Welsh (of part-Cornish descent).

As for the olympic games - they have nothing to do with sport and everything to do with the further promotion of multi-national commercial enterprise. I have no interest in any flags flying there.
Cymro

Postby Marhak » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:50 am

I get tired of the "Britain's won three gold medals". No, Britain didn't. Britain puts bugger-all into sport. Sportsmen and women won those medals through their own talent and effort.
Marhak

Return to The Rest of the World