17 minute DVD of Cornwall.

Topical debate
Seaforth

Post by Seaforth » Tue Dec 12, 2006 12:10 pm

"Hen" said:
Here's a neat little bit of information on the pub's history, Seaforth.

Thanks for that Hen. It was most probably that piece I had read.
Of course, the thing that really did connect Drake to Saltash is that his wife was a Saltash lassie.

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Tue Dec 12, 2006 6:07 pm

I wanted this DVD to be seen by members of this forum as a reality check. As I expected, most saw it as depressing. I agree, but see it as an oportunity to turn negative, into positive.

James described MK as "Hobby Politics". He IMO is absolutely right .
If the party is to be taken seriously, then it must become professional.
It could start by appointing a leader as a full time position.
His salary could easily be paid by the hundreds ( according to C. Jenkin ) of members making small monthly or whatever contributions.
Just imagine; someone who would devote their time fully to the cause and nothing else. Huge strides could be made.

If that is not to be the case, then quit raising money to put up candidates for the General Election, and revert to campaigning on the big issues here in Cornwall like the Carlyon Bay development and that CPR Regeneration / Porthia shower.

The plain fact of the matter is that we are NOT getting our message to the masses here in Cornwall that we are a separate Nation.

I think we have a great chance to do that via the Commonwealth Games Campaign, whish is in hibernation at the moment ; DUE TO WORK COMMITTMENTS ! ! ! ( I rest my case MK ) but we will be "Up and At Them " again soon.

The truth sometimes hurts..........but it is the truth.

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Tue Dec 12, 2006 7:41 pm

With respect Mike, you have side-stepped everything I stated.

Stargazey

Post by Stargazey » Tue Dec 12, 2006 8:50 pm

I, too, am worried the message that Cornwall is a nation is getting lost. I have myself been involved in researching the constitution. Historically Cornwall always had a political framework that reflected the uniqueness of the constitutional position. Cornwall even had numerous MPs in the past. Far more than many places. Things really changed with the County Councils Act. How do we wake up people to the fact Cornwall/Kernow is a nation? Many find the nationalist connotations threatening. I am an incomer and when i talk to other incomers about the constitution they are usually very interested in it. Many English people are also extremely fed up with Westminster afterall! I think we need a platform that buys everyone in Cornwall, "onen hag ol", into a general enthusiasm for establishing the truth about the place we love and live in. We then need to translate this into a viable political, with a small p, movement for a system of governance that properly reflects the constitutional position. There was so much momentum after the petition was handed into Downing Street and all of a sudden it fizzed out. How do we recapture it? Many who move down come here think of it as an English county. History has been inaccurately protrayed, John Angarrack has made all those points. The media could help. It would be great if they could do some real investigative journalistic research into the past, present and various proposals for the future of Cornish governance. The information is out there. They could interview a wide range of interested parties and get a real feel for just how much interest and support there is here for a renewed and more united campaign for Cornish self determination. And for an end to the inaccurate historical portrayals of Kernow. In fact, this could even been done as posters on this board are proposing, as a short fim. I would be very happy to give a hand.

Seaforth

Post by Seaforth » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:14 pm

I posted the link to the "Duchy of Cornwall petiton to the PM" on a Cornish forum, the Hayle Eye. BTW I'm John.

Most of the results are not very encouraging as a quick glance through the replies will show.
http://www.hayleeye.co.uk/ and click on the Duchy of Cornwall petiton to the PM thread.

Seaforth

Post by Seaforth » Tue Dec 12, 2006 9:15 pm

delete

Kerrow

Post by Kerrow » Wed Dec 13, 2006 12:46 am

And as Mike says, Labour don't need support here when it gets all it wants through the SWRDA (and its 'even more shadowy brother' the South West Regional Assembly).

Coady

Post by Coady » Wed Dec 13, 2006 1:35 am

Seaforth, I saw, and replied to your post on Hayle Eye. Someone else listed the Cornish (Nationalist) Groups and asked words to the effect "Which of these represents the people of Cornwall".....and I posted a reply "None".

This is the unfortunate truth as I see it. None of the major Nationalist groups has managed to engage ordinary everyday Cornish people as supporters in any number.

I think this is because you all look inwards too much, and believe you should shape the people to your beliefs, when you should, perhaps, be tailoring your Nationalism to what the majority of people in Cornwall WANT.

Any meaningful advances will be in some sort of partnership with the actual PEOPLE you claim or seek to represent.

Graham.
We live in interesting times!