17 minute DVD of Cornwall.

Topical debate
Coady

Post by Coady » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:19 pm

Oh, thats a shame. What's wrong with it?
We live in interesting times!

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:02 pm

An Irish man visiting Cornwall and relating it to his celtic homeland.

He relates to Kernow as a 'lost nation' which it well may seem like to an Irishman. There's some interviews; one with an ex miner who still works at a mine but as a tourist guide. He also follows an MK member giving out his pre-election flyers and covers the results of the loal Penzance election. He interviews a few older people outside the polling station who, while supporting the idea of an independent Cornwall, can't really see a future for it.

All in all, it's quite a slow and relatively insignificant short film made by a young student who will probably go on to create better material.

One other point, the movie opens as he's coming over the Tamar on the train. On the Cornish side is a building, (can't tell if it's a house or a small commercial unit) with a Union Jack painted on the whole of one side of the building; the side which faces england. Neither he, nor a few others say they have never noticed this before. I certainly haven't, though it may be down to the fact that he's viewing from the rail bridge not the road.

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:40 pm

I found the film content totally depressing and never watched it an allocated second time

Me too. Maybe this is down to the fact that the film maker is Irish; compared to what the Irish have achieved as an independent nation, particularly their position as a 'nation of Europe', you could easily see that the Cornish position would have seemed depressing to him too. Having said that, there were only a handfull of Cornish people featured in the movie, a movie which could have had a completely different vibe about it if it had included some of the more optimistic Cornish nationalist types; people with a passion and belief for Corwall's cause and future. Colin Murley comes to mind as one, though there certainly wouldn't have been a shortage of such personalities.

It seems to me that the film maker was here on a short break which just happened to coincide with a Penzance local election. That's where he focused his movie... That's the movie he ended up with..

Anyway it gave me some good I.T. practice working with DVD and web video.. It also set me off on another project regarding DVD and web video but this time involving some Cornish music combined with imagery.

Watch this space..

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:55 pm

He not busy being born.. is a busy dying.

Coady

Post by Coady » Fri Dec 08, 2006 1:57 am

Oh dear...did I read this right, a bad time?
We live in interesting times!

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:31 am

Hiya Stroppy !

Nosdan

Post by Nosdan » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:40 am

Is there anybody on the board who would be able or willing to make a more optamistic video of Cornish nationalistic spirit?

Documenting all the things that are going on to keep Cornwall alive, there are so many groups around cornwall trying.

P.S. I know i keep coming out with ideas, but i havn't the time and i dont live in Cornwall to action alot of them out.

Hen

Post by Hen » Fri Dec 08, 2006 2:56 am

"GrahamHart" said:
Hiya Stroppy !

Graham, Strop doesn't post here anymore, but I will pass on your greeting to him. I am sure he would return it as well. So take it as read that Strop says "G'Day" as well. :)

Hen

Post by Hen » Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:22 am

Well I have had absolutely no joy with accessing the film either through my work's computer or at home.

My work computer will block the film entirely. (Which is what I suspected it would) My puter at home justs load the page where it should be showing and then .... nothing.

If I reload it, still nothing.

But from the above comments, I am not sure I actually missed anything by not seeing it. (Though I would prefer to see it and then decide that it wasn't worth it. :D )

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:37 am

I am sure the significance of the imagery connected with the Saltash building displaying the "Butcher's Apron" will not be missed by those people from Ulster. Such a scene is reminiscent of those all too often witnessed in right-wing, unionist, protestant, paramilitary controlled areas of the North of Ireland, even as I write.