Another flag argument - opinions ?

Topical debate
Nige999

Post by Nige999 » Sun Dec 03, 2006 9:48 am

Interesting. Anyone have any opinions either way ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/north_west/6201952.stm

Coady

Post by Coady » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:40 pm

Interesting. I think any local business owner WOULD BE SENSIBLE to take account of all opinions on an issue like this, and be prepared to compromise so as to cause the least offence.

The article doesn't say whether the owner Ms Barnett is Welsh or English. No doubt, if she only flew the Welsh flag, and she was English, someone would complain about that too.

...and maybe European visitors might complain at the lack of the EU flag...
We live in interesting times!

Tal-e-bot

Post by Tal-e-bot » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:38 pm

In Mannin the Union flag flies very rarely since the 1980s I believe.

Pfishwick

Post by Pfishwick » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:23 pm

I think that the community council are right-thinking on this issue. Position the flags immediately adjacent to the hotel so it's clear who's flying them.

Patrick

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:20 pm

People should be free to fly what ever flag they like as long as it is not offencive. We live in the UK as our state, people who support the union should be free to express that.

However the EU flag with the red cross through it flown by Traggos, in my opinion, is too much.

The flag represents Europe and its peoples not just the institutions.
You can dislike the EU, CoE etc, that's fine have a banner that says down with the European union, but that defaced flag says "we don't like Europe or Europeans" to me.

Typical UKIP two faced populist cr@p.

Imagine if in Cymru or Kernow someone flew a defaced Union Jack from their shop?

Tal-e-bot

Post by Tal-e-bot » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:22 pm

In Cardiff Uni a few years ago students were forbidden to fly the St George flag because they said it incited racial hatred.

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:30 pm

Maybe that welsh hotel should use one of those rotating billboard things you see outside supermarkets; it could show a differnet flag every few minutes..

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Mon Dec 04, 2006 2:54 pm

"Fulub-le-Breton" said:
The flag represents europe and its peoples not just the institutions.

You can dislike the EU, CoE etc, thats fine have a banner that says down with the european union, but that defaced flag says "we don't like europe or europeans" to me.

I disagree; the EU is purely and simply a political animal, portrayed as a way of bringing people together to hide the political agenda. Most of today's EU has been put together WITHOUT the agreement of the general public; in the UK, for example, we had a vote to join the Common Market, and that was all. All of the transfer of political power that has happened since has been done without consulting the public. The EU flag is, to me, totally a symbol of the EU as a political entity.

Imagin if in Cymru or Kernow someone flew a defaced Union Jack from their shop?

A Union Flag (it's only a Jack if flown on the Jack mast of a ship) with a red cross on it would look quite a lot like the original, so I probably wouldn't notice that it had been defaced... ;-)

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:02 pm

Wrong because the flag is not just for the EU it is a flag used for europe.

Pfishwick

Post by Pfishwick » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:27 am

"Fulub-le-Breton" said:
People should be free to fly what ever flag they like as long as it is not offencive. We live in the UK as our state, people who support the union should be free to express that.

However the EU flag with the red cross through it flown by Traggos, in my opinion, is too much.

The flag represents Europe and its peoples not just the institutions.
You can dislike the EU, CoE etc, that's fine have a banner that says down with the European union, but that defaced flag says "we don't like Europe or Europeans" to me.

Typical UKIP two faced populist cr@p.

Imagine if in Cymru or Kernow someone flew a defaced Union Jack from their shop?

That's an excellent post which I agree with entirely 8) 8)

I once made the mistake of driving into Trago Mills' Devon store. On seeing the Europhobic billboards, I turned round and left. Never touched the place since. Not that the EU doesn't have its problems, but there's no need for political propaganda being forced in people's faces.

The European flag represents all of Europe, not just the EU. Also you're right that folk in the UK, who support the Union, should be free to fly the Union flag.

Obviously there are more political complications with it in Northern Ireland than anywhere else. :(

Nos da,

Patrick

Coady

Post by Coady » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:39 am

Thousands of customers a day DON'T seem to see it as a problem........I think its 'inappropriate',, but whatever, the guy is saying what he thinks.
We live in interesting times!

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:52 am

At least his 'stuff' is cheap.

Tal-e-bot

Post by Tal-e-bot » Tue Dec 05, 2006 8:53 am

Someone pays for it in the end.

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Tue Dec 05, 2006 12:42 pm

Patrick, I don't see that flying a EU flag with a line through it is any more "pushing political propaganda in people's faces" than pro-Cornish people flying St Piran's cross is. Both represent someone's viewpoint; why is the latter OK but the former not?

Whatever views you have, somebody somewhere will disagree with you and take offense if you express your opinion.