Another flag argument - opinions ?

Topical debate
TGG

Post by TGG » Sun Dec 17, 2006 2:17 pm

"Coady - Posted: Dec 17, 2006 - 12:06 AM" said:

A good first principle is not to be prejudiced about anyone, next is to make no assumptions, and (very important) is to listen to the answers to the question you asked, and to the answers to the questions that you didn't ask.Graham.

I wish that you had followed your own advice the last time that we exchanged words! :)

I agree with you re the free-thinkers, but how many people are truly of this ilk from a position of knowledge, having been brainwashed about Cornwall - probably all their lives? In addition to this misrepresentation, as Hunlef has also mentioned on another thread, the root cause of the Cornish problem is one of legal rights. When this is properly addressed, would you agree that there will be a need for some form of transitional accommodation.

TGG

http://www.kernowtgg.co.uk
STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE! -
They declare their Cornishness with pride
Whilst oblivious to our genocide
That England imposes
With smiles and Red Roses
Where the innocents, so gullibly, reside.

Coady

Post by Coady » Mon Dec 18, 2006 1:30 am

Sorry, its late as I type...explain what you mean in this instance by 'transitional accommodation' please?
We live in interesting times!

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:26 pm

Sorry, its late as I type...explain what you mean in this instance by 'transitional accommodation' please?

Like a half-way house Coad.. Somewhere everyone can sit down together to discuss what to do next.

Seaforth

Post by Seaforth » Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:55 pm

"Fulub-le-Breton" said:
Wrong because the flag is not just for the EU it is a flag used for europe.

I understand what you mean by that but as someone living in Switzerland I can assure you there are many people here who would disagree with your statement.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:43 pm

I can assure you there are many people here who would disagree with your statement.

Yea so? There are many people in the Duchy who are the same but that does not stop the flag being one for all Europeans irrespective of the institutions.

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:03 pm

Politicians may want the flag to be perceived that way to ease the move to integration, but it is certainly not perceived that way by many, many people.

Kerrow

Post by Kerrow » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:54 am

Greater integration into Europe would be brilliant for Cornwall and its status. Cornwall is recognised and supported as a specific region throughout Europe and many European countries have names in their own languages for Cornwall e.g.:-

Cornovaglia - Italy
Cornouailles -France
Cornualles - Spain
Kornwalia -Poland
Kernev Veur - Brittany
Cornualla - Catalonia
A Chorn - Ireland
Corn na Breataine - Gaelic
Cornoalha - Occitan
Cornualha - Portugal

Hen

Post by Hen » Wed Dec 20, 2006 4:14 am

I hear that the Welsh for Cornwall is Cernyw.

Kerrow

Post by Kerrow » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:02 am

The closest of all to Kernow.

Gerens

Post by Gerens » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:26 am

I'd call it more tha close - it is exaclty the same word. It only looks different because of standardisation of modern written Welsh, such as adoption of C instead of K, and the difference between yw and ow is almost nothing. Cernyw is name used for several places in Wales, such as in Llangernyw, Denbighshire. The pre-roman tribe of the Cornovii – (who’s territory was Shrops. parts of Staffordshire., Cheshire, Clwyd & E. Powys) – this is surely a latinised form of Cernyw/kernow. Corn means ‘horn’.