Sign the petitions please......

Topical debate
Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Fri Jan 12, 2007 6:23 pm

.....then e-mail all your friends to make sure they do as well!

Introduce legislation to replace the monarchy with a democratically elected head of state

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/republic/

Recognize the authority of the Duchy of Cornwall as a separate state within the UK

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/CornwallDuchy/

Recognise that Cornwall is the fourth nation of Great Britain.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Cornwall/

Proclaim St David's Day as a national holiday in Wales.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Bank-Holiday/

Grant Scotland and Wales full sovereignty

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Sovereignty/

Direct Parliment to repeal the 1707 Act of Union between the Kingdoms of Scotland and England with immediate effect.

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/freescotland/

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Sat Jan 13, 2007 6:11 pm

Fulub, if you want to replace the UK monarchy with an elected head of state, presumably the same goes for the Duchy of Cornwall? Remove the Duke and Cornwall is no longer a Duchy and one of its main claims for distinctiveness goes out of the window.

Having a monarch is in many ways a Good Thing. Would you really like a system where the Chief of Police and the heads of the Armed Forces swore loyalty to Tony Blair?

Since the power of government invested in the monarch is now only ceremonial, having a monarch is in no way undemocratic because they play no part in the democracy of this country. You may not like the automatic privileges of the Royal family but they are outside our democratic system (or what passes for it).

Vulcan567

Post by Vulcan567 » Sat Jan 13, 2007 8:24 pm

Keep the Queen, Anne and Charles. Get rid of all the other hangers on, particularly, Air Miles Andy(Mr Pompous twit), Nobbo Edward and his social climber wife. Send that ginger haired yob out to Iraq with his dopey brother, and let them earn their keep.

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:18 am

Fulub, if you want to replace the UK monarchy with an elected head of state, presumably the same goes for the Duchy of Cornwall? Remove the Duke and Cornwall is no longer a Duchy and one of its main claims for distinctiveness goes out of the window.

Nonsense, already dealt with all over this forum. No Dukey boy, Cornwall reverts to its customary Stannary traditions of fully devolved status pre-Duchy. Customs are, in law, of overriding importance. End of story. The Duchy merely serves to illustrate our national origins and has notthing whatsoever to do with our own peculiarisms or distinctivity. The Duchy is a discriminatory imposition upon the Cornish by the English Establishment - no more, no less.

Having a monarch is in many ways a Good Thing. Would you really like a system where the Chief of Police and the heads of the Armed Forces swore loyalty to Tony Blair?

Utter crap! What could be better than the head of state, the prime minister, MPs, the judiciary, the legal profession, police officers, public servants and the armed forces swearing loyalty to either a written constitution or to the people, or to both?? I cannot believe the nonsense some people are prepared to spout!

Since the power of government invested in the monarch is now only ceremonial,

Oh, really? I didn't know that?

having a monarch is in no way undemocratic because they play no part in the democracy of this country.

It goes from bad to worse - this brown-noser is setting himself up for a bloody OBE!! Too much BBC and I expect the Sun has been saying it so it must be right! F%^&*()%$£!!!!

If 'Mrs Windsor plays no part in the democratic process, why do all the groups of people above swear oaths of allegiance to her? Why does this monarch retain a Privy Council by her invitation, members of which have to swear to uphold everything she SAYS and does? If she is only ceremonial and for the tousists, why does the monarch still regularly exercise Orders in Council - a recent example being in the case of the Chagos islanders. In this case, Her Majesty's mere 'ceremmonial' power, was sufficient to overrule decisions of the parliament AND the bloody High Court! No power? What planet are you living on??

You may not like the automatic privileges of the Royal family but they are outside our democratic system (or what passes for it).

For God's sake, make up your bloody mind!!!! One minute, it's 'democracy', the next it's 'what passes for it'!

The fact that this country retains such feudal privileges defines it as being undemocratic man!

The very sad thing about this twaddle is that you profess to be Cornish - and yet you support the system, typified by its unelected (i.e. completely undemocratic!) head of state whose institution, the Duchy of Cornwall discriminates against you at will and there is nothing you can do about it. You have a peculiar view of paradise, my friend!.

From what is deposited on your nose, you must have a great deal of trouble getting off to sleep at night! God forgive you!

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sun Jan 14, 2007 11:37 am

Thank you Hunlef although i think i would have been a little more diplomatic about it, FlameNew i consider to be on our side.

Indeed if having a single unelected head of state with no power is so great then why don't we have that because what we have at the moment is far from that!

I say have an unelected head of state who really does have no power perhaps even unable to speak, a pumpkin with a face cut in it for example. Thinking about it perhaps Charles would be just what i am looking for.

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Sun Jan 14, 2007 12:24 pm

OK, Fulub, I take your point. It does, however, illustrate that a significant proportion of the Cornish public has swallowed government propaganda such as,

the power of government invested in the monarch is now only ceremonial,

How many times have I heard this and similar statements on the BBC, ITV or in the newspapers etc.? How many times have I see such things as "if we didn't have Queenie, we would be subject to Tony Blair!"

Well, at least you could vote the bugger out at the next election - Queenie is there for life (whether she is 'wonderful' or not) and her pumpkin son will duly follow without even the slightest hint of democracy.

Frankly, in this day and age, it is unbelievable that there are those who regurgitate such out-dated, establishment inspired, royalist nonsense without the slightest embarassment!

With such royalist opinions harboured by those supposedly associated with the struggle for Cornish recognition and rights, it is no wonder that the Cornish face a steep uphill struggle. Their philosophy, in which they have failed to recognise the problem, is akin to that of a sculptor who is convinced he can use a chocolate chisel to create a work of art.

Vulcan567

Post by Vulcan567 » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:07 pm

The Royal family are an expensive luxury which we could well do without. All the Royalists will say they only cost the taxpayer 62pence per year each, thats alot of money supplied by 59 million people, that would buy lots of hospitals, extra police. We need the Royals like we need a hole in the head.

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:31 pm

"Fulub-le-Breton" said:
Thank you Hunlef although i think i would have been a little more diplomatic about it, FlameNew i consider to be on our side.

It's OK Fulub, until Hunlef has written a PhD on constitutional affairs I'm taking all of her assertions with a bucket load of salt. ;-) :lol:

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Sun Jan 14, 2007 4:24 pm

It's OK Fulub, until Hunlef has written a PhD on constitutional affairs I'm taking all of her assertions with a bucket load of salt.

And on that basis, I suppose we should all join in with a lovely brown-nosing chorus of God Save the Queen!

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Sun Jan 14, 2007 7:07 pm

"Hunlef" said:
And on that basis, I suppose we should all join in with a lovely brown-nosing chorus of God Save the Queen!

If it makes you feel better dear, you go ahead.

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:40 pm

Like most royalists, this one is too busy brown nosing to have the time to bother with the inconvenience of explaining to the serfs why he so fervently supports the feudal system.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:06 pm

I think we can all agree on the fact that Cornwall is not a county and that it should be recognised as a Duchy.

Once that is achieved and we have some form of home rule the Royalists and Republicans can decide the issue.

I would also caution the idea that getting rid of the Duchy would mean Cornwall reverted to its national status with operational stannaries.

If the duchy was wrapped up it would be done with the least publicity and as quietly as possible.

They would probably say that a few old and outdated prerogatives of the Duke had been done away with to modernise the constitution and that it was Europe who had forced them to do it.

The would probably keep the title of Duke of Cornwall as purely a ceremonial title and act as if nothing much had changed.

They would obfuscate on the stannary issue for as long as possible and continue running Cornwall as a county.

I think there is a tendency to view the Cornish constitutional position as a neglected rusty old machine. Pour in some "human rights" oil and hit the right "court case" buttons and the whole thing will start to tick over again.

A belief in such a quick fix could be dangerous almost messianic. A belief in the promised land that all we have to do is put our faith in various court cases.

Maybe we will win and really hope we do but it is the SNP and their back breaking work in day to day Scottish politics that has got them where they are today.

K

Post by K » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:28 pm

Here's another one ! :lol:

Cornish Tick Box
http://www.pledgebank.com/Cornish-Tick-Box