Sign the petitions please......

Topical debate
TGG

Post by TGG » Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:52 pm

"Petitions" sounds a good idea until they arrive like confetti and seemingly represent an alternative to a chain letter.

What is the point of having them unless there is a pro-active follow-up by the originator to ensure 10s, or 100s, of thousand of signatures?

At the moment they seem pitifully pointless and doomed to do the opposite of what they are - hopefully? - intended to do.

I am not suggesting that this is used as an excuse not to sign , because it is essential that we do, but there should be some serious thought before venturing out into the unknown with new ones! Much better to identify one [Census 2011?] that can be genuinely pushed without the 'overkill' factor. 8)

IMHO :( :( :(

see what I mean? http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/search?q=Cornwall

TGG
STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE! -
They declare their Cornishness with pride
Whilst oblivious to our genocide
That England imposes
With smiles and Red Roses
Where the innocents, so gullibly, reside.

K

Post by K » Fri Jan 19, 2007 6:58 pm

see what I mean? http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/search?q=Cornwall

....and the deadlines are not long enough !

# Recognize the authority of the Duchy of Cornwall as a separate state within the UK (225 signatures) Deadline to sign up by: 15 February 2007

# Recognise that Cornwall is the fourth nation of Great Britain. (70 signatures) Deadline to sign up by: 20 January 2007

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:47 pm

It is now apparent that both the District Councils and Cornwall County Council have taken different views of the local government structures, which would be most appropriate, were the existing structures to be modified or replaced.

We the undersigned feel that, in a situation where opinion among councils and councillors appears to be so divided, the government should recognise that the people of Cornwall should be consulted in a referendum before a final decision, involving any change to the existing structures, is made.

Please sign and circulate to all friends etc

http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/Cornlocalgov/

Freekernow

Post by Freekernow » Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:39 pm

The frightening thing is that one of these petitions calls for Cornwall to remain part of ENGLAND calling the CSP a bunch of busybodies and those signing it are recorded as people who I know are Cornish patriots and CSP members !

Seaforth

Post by Seaforth » Sat Feb 17, 2007 2:44 pm

The epetition "Recognize the authority of the Duchy of Cornwall as a separate state within the UK" has been turned down by the Prime Minister's office.

The Government's response was:
"The Government has no plans to change the constitutional or legal status of Cornwall."

http://www.number-10.gov.uk/output/Page11007.asp

:-x

edited by: Seaforth, Feb 17, 2007 - 02:45 PM

Hen

Post by Hen » Sun Feb 18, 2007 12:36 am

I received my notification of that decision as well Seaforth.

I was surprised they notify the supporters of the petition of their decisions. We don't down here. (Though we also don't do e-petitions.)

Ellery

Post by Ellery » Sun Feb 18, 2007 4:29 pm

It's not as if they can change the constitutional or legal status of Cornwall and we're not exactly asking that of them the petition was to Recognize the authority of the Duchy of Cornwall as a separate state within the UK. :-x

Starkie2005blue

Post by Starkie2005blue » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:41 pm

I like your idea about Cornwall's recognition, however, there are around 52 different counties in the whole of the british isles that make up the UK as we know it today and everyone of them has some claim for seperate recognition. Even Devon has a county flag!!!, which is thier county symbol and possibally sign of wanting to be recognized as an individual state. I don't personally think Cornwall's pledge to be recognized as a seperate state will ever happen, unfortunately. If it ever does, then every county in the country will also push to end up being recognized as a seperate state, and that's why I don't believe the government will budge on this idea, because It would be to probmatic for them from their point of view.
The only difference between Cornwall and, lets say for example, Yorkshire is that people in Yorkshire propably are not to bothered about it, where as people in Cornwall are possibally the only county in the country that are actually concerned about wanting to become a recognized seperate state. Good luck with it all anyway and I hope you acheive what your looking for.

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:27 pm

I have thought long and hard about signing those petitions, and I can't.

from an idealistic point of view, I thin they have great merit.

however, until implemtation for the plans can be shown, I won't as I do believe that the status quo is best for the moment.

Ellery

Post by Ellery » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:13 pm

I like your idea about Cornwall's recognition, however, there are around 52 different counties in the whole of the british isles that make up the UK as we know it today and everyone of them has some claim for seperate recognition. Even Devon has a county flag!!!, which is thier county symbol and possibally sign of wanting to be recognized as an individual state. I don't personally think Cornwall's pledge to be recognized as a seperate state will ever happen, unfortunately. If it ever does, then every county in the country will also push to end up being recognized as a seperate state, and that's why I don't believe the government will budge on this idea, because It would be to probmatic for them from their point of view.
The only difference between Cornwall and, lets say for example, Yorkshire is that people in Yorkshire propably are not to bothered about it, where as people in Cornwall are possibally the only county in the country that are actually concerned about wanting to become a recognized seperate state. Good luck with it all anyway and I hope you acheive what your looking for.

Everyone who's ever properly looked into the matter has found that Kernow/Cornwall is not a county and is instead a Duchy separate from england. However many of these people refuse to admit this! :-x

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Mon Feb 19, 2007 8:34 pm

Masterclass,

What petitions did you decide not to sign?

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:28 pm

Fulub-le-Breton said:
Masterclass,

What petitions did you decide not to sign?

All of them.