Truro Football stadium plans approved

Topical debate
Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:43 pm

The team won the FA Vase in May at the new Wembley stadium
Plans for a new multi-million pound football ground in Cornwall have received initial consent, despite opposition from local residents.
The £6m development for FA Vase winners Truro City Football Club includes five new pitches and a sports hall on the outskirts of the city at Kenwyn.

Councillors at Carrick District Council went against recommendations to refuse the application.

Normally I might think yes great and if we could develop it as a multi-sport venue all the better, but I have a concern and that's around the longer term plans of Truro FC's millionaire owner. KH is a property developer who already has plans for big developments around Truro. I would want to know:
1. what's going to happen to the current Truro City FC site (is this now going to be freed up for a developer)?
2. can the greenfield land to be used for any new sports stadium have its status eventually changed (after the stadium has outgrown its use as a sports stadium) so that it becomes designated as brownfield land making it another prime target for developers and a site for 'unaffordable homes'?

edited by: porthia1947, Jun 28, 2007 - 12:43 PM

Lucy_ellis

Post by Lucy_ellis » Thu Jun 28, 2007 12:52 pm

If Kevin Heany cares so much about the people of Truro, why is his property company pricing people out of the city?

The football club development is for his ego, and to distract Truro people from his greedy aspirations.

He's made a fortune out of rising house prices, allowing locals to watch a group of people kicking a football around, rather than have somewhere affordable to live, is hardly 'putting something back into the community' from which he has profited from substantially.

Unless of course, Truro people prefer watching football to having a roof over their heads.

edited by: lucy_ellis, Jun 28, 2007 - 12:55 PM

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Thu Jun 28, 2007 1:09 pm

This DEAL is not yet done and dusted and should be resisted by all those with Truro's (and Cornwall's) best interests at heart.

The funding of this site depends on asset stripping and concreting the existing facility.

The number of pitches outlined would open up the possibility of all the other existing pitches within Truro being tarmacked and concreted.

(Perhaps Mr Heaney has first refusal offers in on those already.)

Truro is already overdeveloped and its infrastructure is gridlocked.

It's time for a complete development and house building embargo for Truro and the rational and full use of existing resources and assets for their primary and originally intended purpose.

Otherwise it'll be floods (& tears) all round.

edited by: TeamKernow, Sep 16, 2007 - 12:30 AM

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:12 pm

So a guy with money wants to bring high quality football and leisure facilities ( which are primarily green ) to Truro and you think thats a bad idea. It's also his fault alone that house prices are rising as they are and he's the only one in Cornwall doing that.

Lucy, TK, we agree on virtually everything but in this case you are wrong !
We are badly in need of quality sports stadia and the chance to give the aspiring footballer a higher level to attain in Cornwall, yet when someone pays out of his own pocket, you put it down to ego tripping. Bleddy 'ell !

It is my experience that politically minded people have very little or no knoweledge of sport and the positive impact it has on communities. The above posts confirms that.

The housing concern is a separate issue. Don't combine the two.

edited by: GrahamHart, Jun 28, 2007 - 05:32 PM

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Thu Jun 28, 2007 2:21 pm

Graham.

1.There are abundant football pitches in Truro.
With a little imagination they could all be used efficiently for training and for low key games.

2.At some point the infrastructure capacity and carrying capacity limitations of Truro for further development have to be recognised.The point of discomfort and impractical gridlock was reached some time ago.

3.House and other building and developments such as this are,sadly,inextricably intertwined as asset stripping and conversion to capital on one front is used to fund development on the other.

4.Heaney needs to be more imaginative and less predictably 1950sThink©2007TK destructive to Truro's green field surroundings.

This is not about NEED.
It's about WANT.

edited by: TeamKernow, Sep 16, 2007 - 12:31 AM

Joaniewillett

Post by Joaniewillett » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:12 pm

I wonder if they could incorporate a rugby ground for the Pirates?

And wouldn't it be nice if we could have a Cornish side in the League?

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:18 pm

1.There are abundant football pitches in Truro.
With a little imagination they could all be used efficiently for training and for low key games.

Quite. Now how about high key games ?

2.At some point the infrastructure capacity and carrying capacity limitations of Truro for further development have to be recognised.The point of discomfort and impractical gridlock was reached some time ago.

Like all cities. So where would you put the Stadium ? Or are you of the opinion that we don't need one ?

3.House and other building and developments such as this are,sadly,inextricably intertwined as asset stripping and conversion to capital on one front is used to fund development on the other

Then un-intertwine it by separating the issues and therefore stop denying opportunity for our youth to aspire to higher standards.

4. Heany needs to be more imaginative and less predictably 1950sThink destructive to Truro's green field surroundings

Again, where would you put it ?

This is not about NEED.
It's about WANT.

You are not speaking for the Cornish sporting public of either Cornwall or Truro.

Coady

Post by Coady » Thu Jun 28, 2007 3:46 pm

I have to agree with Graham Hart (!).
I am not a football fan, but many many thousands are, and it can be a big part of their life.

Modern Sports facilities are more than just pitches for a kick around, often providing facilities for a wide range of the population above and beyond the main sport catered for.
Sport is good for children and young people, it builds many of the qualities that make good citizens, it brings hope and self respect to the socially disadvantaged, and often to the disabled.

Truro IS cramped and overdeveloped, but the chosen location is sensible, being on he edge of the City with good access from within and without.

Good sports facilities are PART of an area's infrastructure, and its good news to see this aspect of infrastructure being upgraded.

Cornwall produces excellent sportspeople and teams out of proportion to its size and location, and the more good facilities there are, the better the chances of identifying encouraging and showcasing Cornish talent.

Well done Truro FC, well done planners!

Graham.
We live in interesting times!

Lucy_ellis

Post by Lucy_ellis » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:01 pm

So why not build the Stadium on the present site? The supporters and sporting public of Truro and Cornwall deserve a Stadium. But they shouldn't have to pay for it by being robbed of their countryside.

If extra space was needed at the present site, then a little expansion onto fields would be a small price to pay compared to the proposed site.

edited by: lucy_ellis, Jun 28, 2007 - 05:11 PM

Coady

Post by Coady » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:06 pm

As I understand it Lucy, the new facility will have a floodlit, all-weather football pitch, two other full-size pitches, two junior pitches, four indoor five-a-side pitches and a clubhouse.

A gym, conference rooms and bar and restaurant would be available for the local community.

Add to all this the necessary car parking and you see that the existing site is nowhere near large enough.

Graham.

Kenwyn

Post by Kenwyn » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:08 pm

Don't even get me started on this one. Cornwall's national sport is rugby and the Cornish Pirates had so many obstacles put in their way and were not allowed parking for spectator's near the ground in Kenwyn.

And now all of a sudden a football stadium is passed just across the road from where the Pirates wanted to call home.

I smell a rat here somewhere and I think it has to do with quid pro quo for development of housing. :-x

Coady

Post by Coady » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:23 pm

I don't know if its a "rat", Kenwyn...the Town and Country Planning Acts allow, even encourage "horse trading" over permissions for planning. As I understand it (and I'm a beginner), if a plan frees up other land in an area 'zoned for housing' that can be considered a planning gain and be a factor in whether or not the plans get passed.

So.. what some of you suspect may be absolutely right, but an actual part of the planning laws, rather than something underhand.

Have a chat with one of your local councillors, see what they have to say about it.

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:30 pm

I wonder if they could incorporate a rugby ground for the Pirates?

As I understand it Joanie, it's a non starter.
From a selfish point of view, I'm hoping the Pirates have a new stadium in Camborne. On match days, the town is bustling. Supporters pour off the trains and the local economy is the winner. Also the occasion itself is great entertainment.

So why not build the Stadium on the present site?

Sadly, the Treyew Road ground does not have the space to incorparate such a developement.

I have to agree with Graham Hart (!).

Thanks Coady, but I doubt if will happen regularly ! :-) :-) :-)

Lucy_ellis

Post by Lucy_ellis » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:04 pm

On google earth you can see a field southwest of Truro City Football club; a bit of that should be enough with the existing site.

edited by: lucy_ellis, Jun 28, 2007 - 06:08 PM

Coady

Post by Coady » Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:19 pm

Lucy, remember they want FIVE pitches....and the field you mean isn't even big enough for the car park.