Truro Football stadium plans approved

Topical debate
Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:27 pm

Good one, Mike. Looks like we've got another Anglo sheep in wolf's clothing showing his/her ignorance. The technique is beginning to get tiresome.

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:27 pm

A successful football club brings in revenue, puts a place on the map and gives the local population a way to bond

No Mike , but the above is correct.

DTresaw

Post by DTresaw » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:33 pm

heavens, ok, its a city, due to the cathedral, and St Austell is bigger, if you want to be pedantic, I apologise. I'm trying to make a valid point about a sporting issue and some of the fringe benefits it brings.

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:38 pm

.......and continue to do so DT. they're not very sports minded here. 8-)

Good grief. I have an ally ! ;-)

DTresaw

Post by DTresaw » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:41 pm

Thanks fella, if anything can bring a community together sport can. :)

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:41 pm

Mike said:
[quote=Hunlef]Good one, Mike. Looks like we've got another Anglo sheep in wolf's clothing showing his/her ignorance. The technique is beginning to get tiresome.

Reminds me of Trevorpen; he's from Cambridgeshire :roll: [/quote] Talk of the Devil, he's just logged on!

DTresaw

Post by DTresaw » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:24 am

Mike said:
[quote=Hunlef]Good one, Mike. Looks like we've got another Anglo sheep in wolf's clothing showing his/her ignorance. The technique is beginning to get tiresome.

I apologise if I say something you disagree with, I was under the impression this was a forum for debate!!

For the record I lived in Mevagissey until I was 16, then the old man moved us east when he got made redundant.

While I agree with alot of the sentiments on here, I consider myself a pragmatist, and don't necessarily think everything English is bad, and certainly don't like the sensationalist language used, 'oppressors' 'British Tibet' 'imperialist this and that' it just sounds juvenile and does little to further the development of the area.

Having worked in Zimbabwe for 3 years I can tell you what real oppression is believe me.

I'm just a regular bloke, like lots of others that love my place of origin, and if it had its own assembly then great, if it is actually good for the area, but only then, not just because it is Cornish, who knows, I might be able to afford to move back one day.

Maybe having lived in England for a few years I have turned soft, but funnily enough they are pretty much just like my Cornish friends and relatives, they like a pint and a game of footy.

Back to the matter at hand, I went to a few Truro City games when I was a kid, and it was always a good afternoon, even if the standard was a bit ropey, but seems they are doing pretty well in the Western League now so good on em, lets hope they can get into the league.

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Thu Jul 24, 2008 12:56 am

While I agree with alot of the sentiments on here, I consider myself a pragmatist, and don't necessarily think everything English is bad, and certainly don't like the sensationalist language used, 'oppressors' 'British Tibet' 'imperialist this and that' it just sounds juvenile and does little to further the development of the area.

Well, i consider myself to be a realist and, although I agree with you in that not all things English are bad, the 'sensationalist language used' reflects the seriousness of the situation here in Cornwall. If you have been looking at any of my postings, you will have realised that my areas of interest relate to the constitutional status of Cornwall, a status that has without doubt been gerrymandered and suppresed. You will also be aware that the Cornish have been the only group to have been specifically excluded from the FCPNM, the only group to have been refused access to an education that reflects its cultural background in the state system, the group to have been given limited recognition for the last 2001 Census, only to have it taken away in the next. Of course, one might mention many historical factors that have been removed from the general pool of knowledge but this thread is not the place to delve into this. All in all, I think those that use the term, 'oppressed' have good reason for doing so!

Oppression can take various forms such as that you have encountered in Zimbabwe and the more insidious variety that is currently encountered in Cornwall. Of course, historically the Cornish have suffered terribly under the hand of the English majority, just as the Zimbabweans are suffering now at the hands of ZANU PF. Please don't try to lessen the claim of the Cornish by forgetting about this brutal, but sanitised, aspect of history by mimicking the words of those who really do seek to oppress our identity. That notwithstanding, the fact remains that the Cornish minority has been singled out by government for special, less favourable treatment than others, with the result that their identity is seriously threatened and their culture is in danger of dying, simply to protect the 'rights, property and profits' of the heir to the throne.

You seem to have a problem with other expressions used by some forum members belies your lack of understanding of Cornish history and accepted international norms of human and minority rights. It is wholly unacceptable and not in the least sensationalist that one of the most powerful and influential 'democracies' in Europe has the effrontery to renege on its international agreements and treaties with respect to the Cornish people and it frankly beggars belief that people like yourself can come to a forum of this nature and expect to pontificate when you clearly are not in full knowledge and understanding of the facts. If you are Cornish, then you really ought to investigate these matters fully before you do your people a great disservice.

Finally, I wish you all the best of luck in getting back to Kernow one day - I only hope there will bhe something tangible left of our identity and culture when that day comes. I hope, too, that you will educate your thoroughly decent English friends into the Cornish past and present, just as I have done with mine. Once they have been brought up to speed and prized away from what is essentially their state-inspired torpor of beer, footie, soap and the Sun they, too, might become activists for a campaign to bring 'equality before the law' for ALL UK citizens!

But back to the football......

DTresaw

Post by DTresaw » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:25 am

I have a reasonable knowledge of Cornish history I think, I am well versed in the work of some Cornish scholars particularly Philip Payton.

I am also willing to admit that there are others that know far more than me about various constitutional issues that are many, varied and complex. I am an electrician, not a politician, nor do I wish to be.

I would consider myself a run of the mill bloke, much like a huge number of those that still live in Cornwall and those that have moved away like myself (albeit my parents that moved me away).

I fully agree that there are many issues current and past that have adversely affected the area, many directly influenced by westminster, I just find the terminology used by some posters a little uncomfortable.

The average man in the street here has no real knowledge of the issues that Cornwall face, they are too busy worrying about rising petrol prices and immigration from eastern europe to give it much thought, though it does generate a lot of interest when I actually give them a potted history of Cornwall.

The main reason of my original post however was a sporting one and in my opinion would have a lot of benefits to the area if a successful team were to emerge, both cultural and economic.

Keep it Kernow

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Thu Jul 24, 2008 8:42 am

I have a reasonable knowledge of Cornish history I think, I am well versed in the work of some Cornish scholars particularly Philip Payton.

Then you will be aware of Cornwall's suppressed constitutional status. You might also be aware that many 'scholars' refuse to acknowledge the evidence and completely ignore the facts relating to the Duchy of Cornwall and the validity of the Stannaries.
I just find the terminology used by some posters a little uncomfortable

You feel uncomfortable about the terminology because you, like most, are a product of an Anglo-centric education that has been moulded by the press and media. Uncomfortable you might be. However, the terminology applied is entirely consistent with and appropriate for the situation in which the Cornish minority finds itself.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:14 pm

DTresaw said:

I am also willing to admit that there are others that know far more than me about various constitutional issues that are many, varied and complex. I am an electrician, not a politician, nor do I wish to be.

I would consider myself a run of the mill bloke, much like a huge number of those that still live in Cornwall and those that have moved away like myself (albeit my parents that moved me away).

I fully agree that there are many issues current and past that have adversely affected the area, many directly influenced by westminster, I just find the terminology used by some posters a little uncomfortable.

The average man in the street here has no real knowledge of the issues that Cornwall face, they are too busy worrying about rising petrol prices and immigration from eastern europe to give it much thought, though it does generate a lot of interest when I actually give them a potted history of Cornwall.

The main reason of my original post however was a sporting one and in my opinion would have a lot of benefits to the area if a successful team were to emerge, both cultural and economic.

Keep it Kernow

Don’t worry about Hunleft, you’ll get used to his rants. If you don’t agree with him you’re a facish English imperialist. As you say average Joe in Cornwall doesn’t feel oppressed and is more concerned about everyday issues the same as anyone living in England, Wales or Scotland are. Just because you don’t agree with his view of Cornwall doesn’t make you any less Cornish, or any less proud to be Cornish.

A decent side in Truro would be interesting, as an Argo Season ticket holder I don’t think I’d be changing allegiance, and there are lots of Cornish Greens that make the trip to the theatre of Greens, so it would take time to get a fan base.

edited by: fancyabrew, Jul 24, 2008 - 01:44 PM

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:38 pm

Try some of the books by John Angarrack: http://johnangarrack.co.uk/

West Britons by Mark Stoyle, Cornwall a concise History by Bernard Deacon and this website all make for interesting reading: http://www.kernowtgg.co.uk/

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:39 pm

Oh and this one is a cracker: http://www.duchyofcornwall.eu/

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:34 pm

Don’t worry about Hunleft, you’ll get used to his rants

Do you, or do you not, accept that the Cornish should be included in the Council of Europe's Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities?

The reason old Fancy perceives me to be ranting is that I have posed this very simple, unequivocal question on numerous occasions and she still hasn't provided an answer. It's almost as if this question was, for her, tainted with a deadly contagion!

edited by: Hunlef, Jul 24, 2008 - 03:35 PM