Cornwall coffee abuse - name and shame the b*****ds!

Topical debate
Lucy_ellis

Post by Lucy_ellis » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:19 pm

Before we try and get the big things sorted, like Cornish Assembly, high speed rail link, kicking the Gorsedh off a cliff etc.. lets try and get the little things right shall we?

So howabout a nice cup of coffee. Freshly made coffee. I don't mind paying a bit more if it's freshly ground, and made and served with grace by a trained barista.

Unfortunately though, some greedy, lazy little entrepreneurs in Cornwall can't even manage that. You meet a friend in town, order a coffee, pay up to £2 - mustn't complain, it's probably gonna be a really kick ass coffee - and you are served bitter tasting piss weak murky dish water.

These little shits are peddling trash coffee off the back of the apparent boom in demand for real, quality, fresh coffee. And they deserve to be hamed and shamed. Especiallly as most of them serve it to you with such arrogance and smugness that you almost feel you've no right to complain - indeed, really you should be grateful they can be bothered to take your money.

So take heed, using the aforementioned descriptions of coffee abuse in Cornwall, here are the following establishments serving inadequate coffee, at a ridiculous price, with either idiotic, stupid, thick, arrogant, pathological or just naive staff. Don't let these idiots spoill your day:

St Mawes, Roseland - the pub up an alleyway from the harbour; Crime: Luke warm coffee, weak, not filtered properly (lots of bits in it.) Price: £2.20 per cup.

Philleigh Inn, Roseland; Crime: Passing off instant coffee as fresh coffee, from an instant coffee machine using coffee powder. Price: £2.50 per cup

Kasbah, Truro: Crime: Using old coffee to make a new cup, resulting in utterly disgusting weak bitter soup type liquid being sold for £1.20 per cup. Attempting to serve 'coffee compliment' (disgusting artificial coffee whitener) without offering fresh milk.

MI Bar, Truro. Crime: Aloof staff, weak, bitter tasting coffee. Price: £2.05 per cup.

Any more crap coffee places please list. It shouldn't be like this.

edited by: lucy_ellis, Nov 14, 2007 - 02:23 PM

Lucy_ellis

Post by Lucy_ellis » Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:23 pm

deleted.

edited by: lucy_ellis, Nov 14, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Lucy_ellis

Post by Lucy_ellis » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:00 pm

Also, Truro weatherspoons are fluffing it up because althought the coffee is consistently good - organic fresh milk, good brand of coffee - and a good price. the queuing system is horrendous. prepare to be ignored, overlooked and passed by for at least 20 minutes on average before getting your coffee.

Quench juice bar. Falmouth, the coffee is alright, but way too hot, and a little over priced.

Remember, you can get a decent packet of coffee for 1.78 at sainsbury, or a little more at independent coffee shop, and have quality coffee at home.

These coffee criminals should take heed. Naming and shaming is the best way to get these idiots to apologise, explain, or shut down.

Lucy_ellis

Post by Lucy_ellis » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:02 pm

Trelissick gardens feock, ok coffee but if you want hot milk then forget it - they only do cold milk from a dispenser you get a tiny jug to use with. pricey too, though the outdoor seating is fine.

Ajax_robinson

Post by Ajax_robinson » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:08 pm

I can empathise with this issue. And even if you only drink tea, if they set such a low standard for coffee, the tea is likely to be the same.

I believe all companies in all markets should be inspected for ripping off customers. Not too long ago, many mobile phone companies were ordered by the courts to justify why mobile calls were so expensive, particularly abroad, and they couldn't.

They just know people need to use the phones so they can charge an arm and a leg. With coffee, these coffee houses know that when someone is going on a break for some coffee, they haven't got time to go around looking for the best tasting coffee and get away with serving muddy water.

Major companies like Apple also play this game. Every ipod they make costs less than £15 to make, though they sell them at £200 a go. Life is a scam.

The biggest travesty of all is Coca Cola. They've managed to spread their name all over the globe because a bottle of coke costs just 9p to produce. Because it's so cheap to produce, they can even sell it in some third world countries for a cheaper price than water! In some cases the poorest people end up drinking coke over water to save money.

edited by: ajax_robinson, Nov 14, 2007 - 04:14 PM

Lucy_ellis

Post by Lucy_ellis » Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:31 pm

but Ajax, at least coke, ipods are consistent - there is always going to be a margin - if they can up their profits they usually will.

but coffee is just not consistent, even with individual retailers, where one day one cafe will serve a good cup, the next they'll mess it up, either because of staff or just plain laziness.

the kazbah at truro usually do good coffee, but by messing it up just once they've really lost credibility with me. go to france, italy, that will never happen. its consistency that we need. i don't mind paying £1.50 for a coffee if its going to be good, and do teh job, but paying £2 for bad service and yuck is plain offensive. you are paying not just for the product but also the atmosphere, a place to wind down, read a paper or chat with a friend. it sounds simple, but many of us enjoy the simple things in life, which really need to be done properly in Cornwall.

We don't need a return to the bad old days of grumpy miserable brummies in run down Cornish seaside town cafes serving out muck for a packet.

If these same people want to play at being yuppie wine bars and baristas then at least get some training and coffee making ability to go with the prices they charge.

I will name and shame all coffee dispensaries in Cornwall who fail to comply with reasonable coffee standards.

Allister

Post by Allister » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:39 pm

Maybe your standards are too high?

Or maybe not. Most takeaways are shite.

Lucy_ellis

Post by Lucy_ellis » Wed Nov 14, 2007 6:51 pm

If someone sells you something purporting to be fresh coffee and charges £2.50 for it, then you have every moral right to disapprove and name and shame them if what they serve is yuck.

If people still go there then that is up to them, but I also have the right to express my views, and point out to others the places that do that. Good business attracts good publicity, and bad business attracts negative. If they don't like it then they should should serve decent coffee and not rip people off.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:19 pm

I've always found glue to be far more stimulating before a day in the office. :-D

Midcornwall.com

Post by Midcornwall.com » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:33 pm

Lucy, may I suggest the following:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Thermos-Kool-Kids ... dZViewItem

:p

Midcornwall.com

Post by Midcornwall.com » Wed Nov 14, 2007 7:36 pm

By the way, I only just noticed it was pink and for kids... that wasn't part of the gagg.. but... meh... lets consider it a bonus:P

Ajax_robinson

Post by Ajax_robinson » Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:17 pm

lucy_ellis said:
but Ajax, at least coke, ipods are consistent - there is always going to be a margin - if they can up their profits they usually will.

but coffee is just not consistent, even with individual retailers, where one day one cafe will serve a good cup, the next they'll mess it up, either because of staff or just plain laziness.

Very true. I digressed quite some ! There must be some cafes that have a proper training program to ensure that all staff can make coffee properly, but I should imagine they are few and far between and charge extra.

IrishJack

Post by IrishJack » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:28 am

Lucy, you obviously very hard to satisfy, perhaps you should just make a thermos up and go and have a cuppa in Victoria Park. Alternatively, you could switch to drinking single malt whisky, this might also help you with the chilling out. Although I don't recommend whisky with breakfast to prepare for a goood day of work.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:10 pm

My misses got me a Gaggia bean to cup coffee machine a couple of years ago for my B’day. Best present ever! They are pricey, around £400 but make a very good cup of coffee, only trouble is we spend around £20 a month on beans, Whitards have a good selection of beans around 30 in their Plymouth shop.