Cornwall coffee abuse - name and shame the b*****ds!

Topical debate
Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:10 pm

My misses got me a Gaggia bean to cup coffee machine a couple of years ago for my B’day. Best present ever! They are pricey, around £400 but make a very good cup of coffee, only trouble is we spend around £20 a month on beans, Whitards have a good selection of beans around 30 in their Plymouth shop.

Lucy_ellis

Post by Lucy_ellis » Thu Nov 15, 2007 12:20 pm

£400 sounds pricey, but over a year would probably pay for itself by boycotting coffee establishments in Cornwall. The industry needs to get its act together. Perhaps an approved coffee making scheme, with cafes displaying stickers with words to the effect of 'we get inspected by coffee professionals and won't mess up and you'll get a proper cup of coffee.'

At least making coffee at home puts you in control. I'm thinking now of buying a coffee bean grinder and using it with my existing french press (cost about £10, less from supermarkets or tk maxx.)

I always used to avoid places like Costa, but at least they appear to be consistent. The small independent coffee houses in Cornwall are unreliable, though I am prepared to name ones that serve good coffee. Trouble is, experience has told me that they can and do mess up from time to time, and when you've got a working day ahead of you and you need a coffee to set you up, it's just too stressful not knowing whether you're going to get a good or bad cup.

Jack33

Post by Jack33 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 1:57 pm

Starbucks is opening in Truro soon

Had to happen I suppose...

Jack33

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:52 pm

Plymouth got its first Starbucks a year ago in the new shopping Mall, it’s now the busiest in the country outside of Starbucks at Heathrow. I expect once Truro gets one of the major chains they’ll all start to arrive. Plymouth has gone from having two Costa’s a year ago too now having , three Costa’s, a Starbucks, Coffee Nero’s, and two Coffee Republics. Having said that its Carwardines Coffee house (a small SW chain) has just closed, soon to open as another Coffee Republic.

Lucy_ellis

Post by Lucy_ellis » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:02 pm

small cornish cafes will only have themselves to blame then. people will simply go to the chains for consistency and good service (that's assuming they can do it though!)

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Fri Nov 16, 2007 2:30 am

Lucy Ellis what have you done ?!!!

Ah well,too much poncing on the patio going on these days anyway.

With this mindboggling array of

Espresso [ess-press-oh]
Espresso Macchiato [ess-press-oh mock-e-ah-toe]
Espresso con Panna [ess-press-oh kon pawn-nah]
Caffé Latte [caf-ay lah-tey]
Cafe Breve [caf-ay brev-ay]
Cappuccino [kapp-oo-chee-noh]
Caffé Mocha [caf-ay moh-kuh]
Americano
Flat White

...a good simple stiff one is needed to get over
the mental 'challenge' of just ordering it.

Here's a simple and strong cup of coffee for you, Lucy...

LE: 'mmmmmmmmmmmm...oooooh I'm buzzing now
...where's that keyboard
...I could get my hands on some of that EU 'Convergence' funding
( if the English latchons haven't divied it all up already ) and
set up the first exclusively
Cornish Coffee Café Consortium 'Partnership' Franchise
- 'STIRBUCKS' ! '

edited by: TeamKernow, Nov 21, 2007 - 02:37 PM

Grum

Post by Grum » Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:09 pm

lucy_ellis said:

St Mawes, Roseland - the pub up an alleyway from the harbour; Crime: Luke warm coffee, weak, not filtered properly (lots of bits in it.) Price: £2.20 per cup.

Philleigh Inn, Roseland; Crime: Passing off instant coffee as fresh coffee, from an instant coffee machine using coffee powder. Price: £2.50 per cup

Kasbah, Truro: Crime: Using old coffee to make a new cup, resulting in utterly disgusting weak bitter soup type liquid being sold for £1.20 per cup. Attempting to serve 'coffee compliment' (disgusting artificial coffee whitener) without offering fresh milk.

MI Bar, Truro. Crime: Aloof staff, weak, bitter tasting coffee. Price: £2.05 per cup.

Any more crap coffee places please list. It shouldn't be like this.edited by: lucy_ellis, Nov 14, 2007 - 02:23 PM

Bwahahahahahaaaaa!!!!

Most of the staff at the MI bar are hungover, hence their cheerless demenor.

Kasbah coffee is the first drink I had when I decided to stop being an alcoholic on an amazingly bad hangover, so it must be doing something right: been 4 years sober nearly!

Course, you can always just not drink it.....

Go to truro Coffee House instead, my mate Suzie runs it :)

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:15 pm

might need to make the trip across the river for a good cup!

http://www.thisisplymouth.co.uk/display ... eId=133164

Lucy_ellis

Post by Lucy_ellis » Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:12 pm

Origin, a Cornish Coffee company, do a pretty good Organic fairtrade that works a treat in a standard French press /cafetiere. Costs about £2.99 - £3.79 for 227 grams but well worth it when considering you're paying £2 for one cup at a cafe. I'd be tempted to try a cafe which does Origin, but they can't always be trusted to make it as good as how you could make it yourself at home /work.

HeamoorMan

Post by HeamoorMan » Fri Jan 04, 2008 11:13 am

This has been going on for years,,, I can remember when I was 15/16 yrs old going in the Wimpy Bar in Penzance,,, and the coffee was crap then and its crap now,,, and I'm 50 NOW,, All these outlets are the same, never had a decent cup of coffee in any of them yet,,,probably because its left to stew for hours on end....Personaly I always go for Drinking Chocolate...