The Smoking Ban - An Unmitigated Disaster.

Topical debate
Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Apr 17, 2008 8:44 am

I don't deny the health risks posed by smoking but it should also be mentioned that, although smoking has been with us since Sir Walter Raleigh, the incidence of lung cancer increased sharply after the introduction of the diesel engine and the fumes they emit. No one has tackled that one - in fact, the subject is studiously avoided - but, then, we have the profits of multi-national corporations to protect.

For me, the smoking ban and the way it has been done is symptomatic of the alarming erosion of personal freedoms within our society over the last decade or so, particularly after this particular government came to power. The erosion of these freedoms is largely due to the faceless, unelected body of people who champion the cause of "political correctness", and we have all seen ridiculous manifestations of this band of "thought police". The banning of staging the "Snow White and the Seven Dwarves" pantomine is one such. The absurd rewriting of Enid Blyton's "Noddy" books was another. The attacks upon Padstow's Darkie Day, forcing them to at least change the name, were also, in my view, absurd, especially when you bear in mind that black participants, in events like the Notting Hill carnival, often "white-up" and nobody remotely cares, let alone take offence. So, why should the same thing in reverse be offensive? Makes no sense to me.

edited by: marhak, Apr 17, 2008 - 07:47 AM

IrishJack

Post by IrishJack » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:05 pm

Clearly, banning smoking in pubs and work places was a great idea and good for all. Hopefully soon smoking in the presence of a minor will be classed as child abuse, there is nothing more disgusting than seeign an adult driving along puffing away with a couple of kids trapped in the carcinogenic atmosphere.

Cigarette bans are being rolled out worldwide, primarily because of the costs to business and governments from productivity losses and medical care.

It is interesting that Marhak has brought up diesel engines, it is well known that the firne particulates from diesel engines can cause lung disease and canecre, much as any fien particles can, such as rock dust which is a classic cause of lung disease and associated silicosis related cancers.

The introduction of the diesel engine also correspondences with the two jumps in cigarette usage within the general population, WW1 and 2, so a correlation with diesel engines and increased lung cancer rates is difficult. But there is a clear link between smoking and lung cancer, smokers have orders of magnitude higher likelihood of lung cancer than non-smokers, and those non-smokers who are unfortunate enough to live with a smoker have elevated lung cancer rates to those in non-smoking households. Or are smokers are more likely to be exposed to disel fumes?

Hopefully, the smoking ban is the first step in destroying the British drink culture and one day we will have the responsible attitude like the italians and spanish. Breaking the drink culture is a key to breaking britains moronic working class culture, epitomised by soccer and binge drinking.

Smoking, like excessive drinking and drug taking is ultimately selfish and nihilistic, these activities are cancers within our society and destroy the futures of our children.

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:12 pm

I have heard it all now, an Irishman complaining about drink! :lol:

Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

IrishJack

Post by IrishJack » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:22 pm

P_Trembath said:
I have heard it all now, an Irishman complaining about drink! :lol:

I never said I was Irish. But atleast the Irish culture also has a love and respect for education and learning, and binge drinking is seen there as an english disease.

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:45 pm

Hopefully soon smoking in the presence of a minor will be classed as child abuse,

Jesus wept ! ! !

Here's another classic from the Recognition Rally thread from this dipstick.

Surely not on the Sabbath.

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:55 pm

IrishJack said:
[quote=P_Trembath]I have heard it all now, an Irishman complaining about drink! :lol:

I never said I was Irish. But atleast the Irish culture also has a love and respect for education and learning, and binge drinking is seen there as an english disease.

[/quote]

No, you never said, I kind of assumed by the name you use, and your signature.

Tiocfaidh ar La, quite apt really, as our day will also come, perhaps we should adopt the phrase, in Cornish.

Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

IrishJack

Post by IrishJack » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:12 pm

So Graham, poisoning the bodies of children is ok, so you don't care if parents give minors drink or drugs or let their kids play with toxic chemicals then.

Yes Mt Trembath, Tiocfaidh ar La, is a good phrase for a nationalist movement and I also thought it suited the time, given that when I set up my account CNLA had just come on the scene.

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:33 pm

So Graham, poisoning the bodies of children is ok, so you don't care if parents give minors drink or drugs or let their kids play with toxic chemicals then.

No, it's not that. It's just that I think right winged asshole comments and viewpoints that come from the likes of you are far more dangerous to society as a whole.

IrishJack

Post by IrishJack » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:05 pm

GrahamHart said:

No, it's not that. It's just that I think right winged asshole comments and viewpoints that come from the likes of you are far more dangerous to society as a whole.

I take offence at my opinions been right wing, they are antilibertarine certainly and possibly small 'c' conservative. I think you'll find that you drive to enforce your anti-social noxious habits on others contray to public opionion is closer to the fascistic mind set.

BTW sticks and stones.

It must be terrible to have people promoting socially reposnsible ideas, rather than ideas that place the individual need above the societal one.

Do you also use the same liberterine arguments to support the free movement of people, the mores of paedaphiles, or is it that because smoking (and therefore poisoning others) is your selfish vice it must be allowed?

TheElvenLord

Post by TheElvenLord » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:13 pm

What does this mean?
Tiocfaidh ar La

Thanks

TEL

IrishJack

Post by IrishJack » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:20 pm

Our day will come

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:34 pm

I take offence at my opinions been right wing,

Followed by :
BTW sticks and stones

:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D Make your bleddy mind up !

There's a lot of trolls around lately............

TheElvenLord

Post by TheElvenLord » Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:52 pm

Thanks IrishJack

Im a bit confused about this

"Yes Mt Trembath, Tiocfaidh ar La, is a good phrase for a nationalist movement and I also thought it suited the time, given that when I set up my account CNLA had just come on the scene"

Did the CNLA use this slogan? But in Cornish?

TEL

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:18 pm

TheElvenLord said:
Thanks IrishJack

Im a bit confused about this

"Yes Mt Trembath, Tiocfaidh ar La, is a good phrase for a nationalist movement and I also thought it suited the time, given that when I set up my account CNLA had just come on the scene"

Did the CNLA use this slogan? But in Cornish?

TEL

It was made popular by the Northern Irish MP Bobby Sands, and taken up by the republican movement there, it is particularly associated with the Provisional IRA.

No, to my knowledge the CRA People did not use it's equivalent in Cornish.

Celticwarrior

Post by Celticwarrior » Fri Apr 18, 2008 9:47 pm

the smoking ban!
who cares!
if you wnat to smoke , smoke
if you dont want to smoke, dont!
its easy really
and of those who do and those who dont ...dont mingle around one another when the fumes are about
there job done...problem solved
i thank you ....im here all week lol!!