The Smoking Ban - An Unmitigated Disaster.

Topical debate
GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Sun Apr 26, 2009 8:50 pm

A year on, I thought it would be interesting to return to this issue.

Pubs are closing at the rate 35 per week across the UK. Many, many more under serious threat. People continue to freeze standing outside. More continue to take up smoking again to stay in conversation. I stand by the thread title 100%

Recession ? What recession ? Think about it. :-O :-(

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Mon Apr 27, 2009 7:27 am

With fewer than 1 in 6 people smoking, I don't think that there's much of an argument for the ban.
I was at the pub last night, it was rather full for a Sunday, and there were only a handful of people outside. Since the ban, I've found pubs to be more pleasent to be in, and there seems to be more wimmins in them nowadays.

If smokers complain about having to step outside to smoke, then, hey ho, sucks to be them, as for every smoker there are 5 others who don't wish to suffer the benefits of second hand smoke. The pro smoking lobby have jumped upon this (pub closures) like a rat running up the mast of a sinking ship to stay above the water.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Mon Apr 27, 2009 2:40 pm

Agree with you Chris BUT they should now introduce a 10 metre exclusion zone from entrances to pubs, clubs, offices etc to stop smoke wafting back in as well.

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:40 pm

All they needed to do for equality was seal of internal smoking areas with a couple of these

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Apr 27, 2009 3:48 pm

You'd have a hell of a job getting Listed Building Consent for those, though. And a lot of pubs are Listed Buildings.

Don't worry, next year, we'll be importing another piece of silliness from the USA - like banning the wearing of perfumes and aftershaves in public places (really - they've started this one in California - where else!). The excuse - they aggravate allergies.

Remember, Things: the wheel always turns.

I would very much like to see a ban on mobile phones in pubs, etc. BLOODY things. They've taken over people's lives to a frightening extent, and are damn irritating to those who just wanted a quiet pint.

edited by: marhak, Apr 27, 2009 - 03:50 PM

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:05 pm

Yes,marhak.

But consider the threat to personal health posed by alcohol.

Don't you think alcohol in pubs should also be banned?

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Mon Apr 27, 2009 4:31 pm

The Smoking Ban works great in Ireland. It's such a pleasure to go out now. :-)

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:38 pm

TK - go and stand in the corner, then straight to bed without any supper. Blasphemer!!!! ;-)

Never did my health any harm . . . hic!

edited by: marhak, Apr 27, 2009 - 05:39 PM

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Mon Apr 27, 2009 5:50 pm

marhak said:
...then straight to bed without any supper.

By the time the 10 page 'Stair Case Ascent' Risk Assessment is completed the sun will be rising!

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Mon Apr 27, 2009 6:49 pm

When all is needed is compassion, logic and common sense is required to save jobs and keep everyone happy, what an astonishing display of selfishness. You talk here all the time of preserving culture etc but when it comes to real jobs in the real world, you give not a jot and avoid a simple compromise by writing this crap.

Selfish beyond belief chris, materclass,evertype ,trevorpen [ obvoiusly] and marhak; Bloody shameful.

People losing their livelyhoods and you all think it's a lark.

Tossers !

edited by: GrahamHart, Apr 27, 2009 - 06:52 PM

Zennorman

Post by Zennorman » Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:30 pm

Ridiculous, Graham that you think people should be forced to compromise their health in the desperation for a job; to be in effect exploited. Why should I as a non smoker be forced to breath in other people's cancer inducing filth, have my clothes or worse skin burnt by thoughless idiots holding lighted fags at arms length or stink to high heaven because of it.

Arrogance, Graham.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Apr 27, 2009 10:03 pm

While, in the meantime, we have to put up with incessant moaning from the holier-than-thou. Most people who originally said that if smoking was banned from pubs, they could start going into them. As many landlords will affirm, and after 20 months of the ban, they have done so such thing. Where are they? No, they just wanted to impose their will, and the pubs are the losers. Every village pub that goes under means an end to community life in that village. The pub is the community centre. Without it, village people become strangers and we all end up like little Londoners.

Last summer, two of us were having a smoke outside the pub and a couple started to complain saying they wanted to eat outside. You can imagine how we reacted to that. We had been forced outside so, if they don't like us smoking there, they can get away from it by eating inside. We made that rather clear. Some people want it both ways. Some of us are sick of being pushed around and have started pushing back.

Michael, how many pubs in Ireland have been forced to close since the ban came in?

Graham - what did I say that was shameful? I'm a smoker who doesn't like the ban any more than you do.

edited by: marhak, Apr 27, 2009 - 10:13 PM

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Mon Apr 27, 2009 11:29 pm

Sorry Craig, I did'nt like the way you made light of the situation by referring to alcohol. When people are losing their jobs and businesses, some of which have been the focal point of communities it's not a bit funny.

The Smoking Ban works great in Ireland.

Or to put it another way " f*uck you Jack, I'm allright".
It's such a pleasure to go out
now.

Ho ! Ho ! Ho ! Ho ! Ireland. A good clean Country Ho ! Ho ! Ho ! Ho ! left - right left - right left - right left - right.......And yes, how many pubs have shut in the beautiful Emerald Isle ? A place I have'nt been back to since the smoking ban began.

Zennorman. What the hell are you talking about ??? I said have separate areas. ie; A Public bar for smokers and Lounge/Snug for non smokers. How can you possibly get smoke around you if adequate provisions are made ???
I fully respect the non smokers viewpoint, so have the human decency to be compassionate towards smokers who are also human beings.

Given the choice, 99.99% of landlords would have smoking back tomorrow. I could understand your view if there was no otherway around it, but there is.

Eventually, this right winged stance will close YOUR pub unless common sense prevails. Where will you drink then eh ? I know. At home in front of the brainwash box..........WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT !

Shiner

Post by Shiner » Tue Apr 28, 2009 12:39 am

..will close YOUR pub unless common sense prevails. Where will you drink then eh ? I know. At home in front of the brainwash box..........WHICH IS EXACTLY WHAT THEY WANT !

So very true. And the drinks will be courtesy of the big supermarkets..

And what is it that is so super about supermarkets? Shouldn't they be called scuppermarkets because that is what has happened, our traditional markets have been conveniently scuppered and put "under one roof" and under one of four management systems that suck cash out of local communities and put very little back in.

That man behind the fish counter at tescos is no different to the girl on the till, who's no different to the kid in the carpark collecting trollies. Once upon a time that man would have been the local fish monger at the local market, probably from a family of fish mongers, with all their contacts down at the various harbours and loads of interesting stories to tell about... well fish and stuff. Now he's a corporate slave, they all wear the same costume, no one is that much different to the next one and they all have to ask you if you need help packing with your THREE items, and you smile back and say 'no thanks, I think I'll manage' while deep down both you and the till slave know that they are following a crap but compulsary script laid out in their training program so you go along with it not realising that it wasn't so long ago that people went to real markets and spoke to real fish mongers who talked to you about whatever they bloody wanted to and didn't give a f*ck whether you needed a hand with your packing, had a club card or were collecting vouchers for computers in schools.

Real people, doing real life shit and getting along just fine..