The Smoking Ban - An Unmitigated Disaster.

Topical debate
Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:36 am

GrahamHart said:
When all is needed is compassion, logic and common sense is required to save jobs and keep everyone happy, what an astonishing display of selfishness. You talk here all the time of preserving culture etc but when it comes to real jobs in the real world, you give not a jot and avoid a simple compromise by writing this crap.

Selfish beyond belief chris, materclass,evertype ,trevorpen [ obvoiusly] and marhak; Bloody shameful.

People losing their livelyhoods and you all think it's a lark.

Tossers !

edited by: GrahamHart, Apr 27, 2009 - 06:52 PM

Not at all, if I want to go out, and see my friend, i don't wish to do it breathing in someone else's second hand smoke, come home smelling of cigarettes with the possibility of burns in my clothes. If one in six people are pissed off with this, then that's their problem, not mine. Besides, smokers are mainly the older demographic, so the next cold winter, we get rid of a bunch of them.

Pubs are closing, I think, more because over £3 for a pint of beer is too expensive when you can get a decent bottle of wine for a fiver nowadays. The smoking ban is a favorite scapegoat amongst those against it as they see it as "The only thing that has changed" (It should be said I view those anti the ban in the same group as anti speed camera people). If they lowered their charges to be more reasonable, and not 3x those of supermarkets, then trade would pick up.

Also, Shiner, the fishmongers and butchers t supermarkets are actual fishmongers and butchers, they are trained to do that, somewhat more than a till girl, their pay reflecting this. I appreciate you like to run this "I'm not tied down to capitalism, I'm free, you all aren't" but it's 99% tosh.

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:37 am

marhak said:

I would very much like to see a ban on mobile phones in pubs, etc. BLOODY things. They've taken over people's lives to a frightening extent, and are damn irritating to those who just wanted a quiet pint.

edited by: marhak, Apr 27, 2009 - 03:50 PM

Oh, good lord, yes.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:33 am

A big problem for tenant landlords is the greed of the breweries. For example, about a month before the Budget, St Austell stuck the price of a pint up by 5p and their tenancies had no choice in the matter. Now it's gone up another 1p in the Budget and I expect that this will be rounded up to another 5p. St Austell does this EVERY year.

The Government seems to have it in for pubs. Our brainless politicians cannot see that the 'binge-drinking' culture is not connected to pubs - who the hell can binge-drink at pub prices, especially in low-paid Cornwall? The supermarkets are the problem with their ridiculously low prices for booze. They are undercutting the pubs, just as they undercut local shops. The politicians, though, refuse to see this. Well, they won't, will they? All too many senior ministers are major shareholders in supermarket chains. Like councillors, they should be made to declare their interest and then keep the hell out of the debate.

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:37 am

My local, the cost of the supply of beer went up by 6%

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:50 pm

Not at all, if I want to go out, and see my friend, i don't wish to do it breathing in someone else's second hand smoke, come home smelling of cigarettes with the possibility of burns in my clothes

Why do you ignore the separate room option MC you selfish little shit ?

edited by: GrahamHart, Apr 28, 2009 - 02:51 PM

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Tue Apr 28, 2009 2:55 pm

I still think air curtains are the best idea.
I can't find the link to it but they even made a small, silent and very thin air curtain specificaly for getting rid of smoke in pubs.

edited by: ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla, Apr 28, 2009 - 03:28 PM

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:07 pm

Whatever Things. As long as we show compassion to both sides, then pubs will survive. If we don't, they won't. it's as simple as that.

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:34 pm

GrahamHart said:

Not at all, if I want to go out, and see my friend, i don't wish to do it breathing in someone else's second hand smoke, come home smelling of cigarettes with the possibility of burns in my clothes

Why do you ignore the separate room option MC you selfish little shit ?edited by: GrahamHart, Apr 28, 2009 - 02:51 PM

Not all pubs have separate rooms. So there's a problem, right there. Even with separate rooms, it becomes a task to define a 'room' and so on.

Smokers make up less of the population than non smokers. They are about a sixth. So, five out of six people don't smoke, yet have to suffer the one sixths second hand smoke, etc? I think it's obvious which group are acting selfishly, here. Didn't you fellow musician, Roy Castle die of second hand smoke, as a result of playing in clubs?

Oh, by the way, there's no need to do insults, when I've been perfectly civil with you. I mean, if you want to, we can, but you'd probably lose.

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:43 pm

But with air curtains MC everyone would win!

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Tue Apr 28, 2009 3:48 pm

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla said:
But with air curtains MC everyone would win!

Not everywhere would have them.

And pubs with smoke extractors STILL make you end up smelling; it doesn't magic the smoke away.

Allister

Post by Allister » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:05 pm

Is there any evidence that the smoking ban has had a direct cause on pub closures?

I suspect there is not. The banning of smoking hasn't harmed cinemas, buses or restaurants.

The smoking ban hasn't stopped me from boozing at my local, or in bars or clubs.

I think that the closure of many pubs is the result of a wider social shift in people's tastes, attitudes and expectations, rather than the banning of smoking.

The separate rooms idea could work, although I think that since smokers make up the minority of people they should have the separate room or area away from the main bar.

Personally, as a smoker and a pub/bar customer I prefer going out drinking since the smoking ban.

It is cleaner and healthier, and you can actually find the bar without a searchlight :-P

Teraivyyr

Post by Teraivyyr » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:30 pm

I remember years ago in my local, being told quite seriously by one of the smokers that I was the one who ought to be paying more for my beer, because the smoke extractor had been put in for my benefit...

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:36 pm

Masterclass said:
[quote=ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla]But with air curtains MC everyone would win!

Not everywhere would have them.

And pubs with smoke extractors STILL make you end up smelling; it doesn't magic the smoke away. [/quote]

I'm not talking abut the regular ones that have been around for years.
There have been air curtains made specifically for smoke extraction.
It works by having a wall of air pumped up towards an extractor. It's silent and cuts out 100% of the smoke.

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Tue Apr 28, 2009 6:27 pm

Is there any evidence that the smoking ban has had a direct cause on pub closures?

I suspect there is not.

Jesus wept.

What crap you write MC.

Oh, by the way, there's no need to do insults, when I've been perfectly civil with you. I mean, if you want to, we can, but you'd probably lose.

Try me.

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:12 pm

Mr Hart, really, you just seem to dislike me for taking a position that is contrary to your view.

I think it's a good thing, and you don't.

End of.

And I've no real wish to insult you. You;ve not done anything really to offend me yet, but I would warn against further escalation.