THE BEST OF BRITISH

Topical debate
Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:20 pm

Have you noticed non of the above are Welsh and only one Scottish?

But anyway keep it coming we like British nationalist propaganda here, it makes us laugh ;-) .

edited by: Fulub-le-Breton, Jun 24, 2008 - 06:21 PM

Allister

Post by Allister » Tue Jun 24, 2008 6:09 pm

Number 10... Royal family. Number 44... Prince Harry. Huh? Someone's cutting corners.

48 Margaret Thatcher???? :-O

Welsh

Any recommendations, Fulub?

Coady

Post by Coady » Tue Jun 24, 2008 8:47 pm

McEwans tartan bitter, Neaps and tatties with Haggis on Burns night, WHISKY!!!, Rebus books, porridge, Hogmany....Thats a few I can think of from Scotland, but I have to admit I am struggling a bit with Wales, help me out someone.....

Graham.
We live in interesting times!

Sentinel

Post by Sentinel » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:05 pm

Oh yeh, 'war hero' Prince Harry. How many medals has his mum give him now? What about his SAS veteran brother?

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:17 pm

I might just keep half a dozen of the list. ;-)

Pfishwick

Post by Pfishwick » Tue Jun 24, 2008 9:26 pm

I have to admit I am struggling a bit with Wales, help me out someone.....

Choral harmony singing, including the national anthem (Hen Wlad fy Nhadau), holding on to their own language in the face of the onslaught from English (not a criticism of the Cornish, geography/numerical inferiority were always against you), the National Eisteddfod (a fantastic cultural celebration despite the pseudo-Druidic stuff which is really a modern invention anyway), the Llangollen International Eisteddfod:

http://www.international-eisteddfod.co. ... eid=607236

showing an outward-looking internationalist perspective.

And wonderful coastal and mountain scenery to boot. Industrial archaeology, ancient monuments, narrow-gauge railways...

This from an (admittedly obviously Cambrophile) Englishman. :-)

Incidentally, the poll covered 7000 "Britons" interviewed by the Holiday Inn. Not a representative sample and not qualified professional pollsters. Then reported in the Daily Express - 'nuff said. ;-)

Nos da,

Patrick

Kevrenor

Post by Kevrenor » Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:32 am

50 Morris Dancers

Ah, something strangely engaging about the English hitting each other with sticks!

Coady

Post by Coady » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:48 am

Cornishminer, with the best will in the world, "Welsh rarebit" is just ponced up cheese on toast, and the only difference between Welsh and English lamb is the poor animal's physical location at the time of slaughter. Pfishwick's list concerns singing and geographic features not confined to Wales.
I don't think retention of an ancient language would feature in a 'popular' list of "The Best of British"

I'm sorry Wales and Cambrophiles, I'm still struggling for the uniquely welsh 'something' that features high in the affection of the rest of Britain!

Never mind though, its just a daft list compiled in fun on a slow news day for bored people to waste time reading......not like an Internet Forum now..... :evil:

edited by: Coady, Jun 25, 2008 - 07:52 AM

Pfishwick

Post by Pfishwick » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:44 pm

Pfishwick's list concerns singing and geographic features not confined to Wales.

Not just any old singing - the Welsh are masters of choral harmony and a number of their anthems are well-known elsewhere in the UK. For example, many English football fans sing various words to the tune "Cwm Rhondda", as in the Welsh hymn "Bread of Heaven" (normally sung in English). I'd include Welsh Choral singing in the top 50.

The Welsh National Eisteddfod, as well as being an expression of popular culture, is in many ways an archetypal example of the genre well known in Britain - the invented tradition. The "Druidic" rituals of the Welsh Gorsedd at the Eisteddfod have come in for the same sort of criticism as the Cornish Gorsedh - but what the heck, it's all good fun. :-).

As for the rest I'd say it's rare for one relatively small part of Britain to have them all e.g. Kernow is short on mountains; NW England is lacking spectacular coastal scenery and a native separate language; industrial archaeology is in relatively limited supply in the Scottish Highlands and Islands (they certainly have the lion's share of the mountains though).

Daft list anyway - all those royals and London-specific icons :-? ;-)

Nos da,

Patrick

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Wed Jun 25, 2008 9:58 pm

pfishwick said:
Not just any old singing - the Welsh are masters of choral harmony and a number of their anthems are well-known elsewhere in the UK. For example, many English football fans sing various words to the tune "Cwm Rhondda", as in the Welsh hymn "Bread of Heaven" (normally sung in English). I'd include Welsh Choral singing in the top 50.

But they're all tenor, no base, not like a good old fashioned Cornish Male voice choir. 8-)
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

Pfishwick

Post by Pfishwick » Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:48 pm

Hi Paddy, take a look here:

http://www.rossendalemalevoicechoir.co.uk/

That's my part of England originally, and it, too, has a strong choral singing tradition (Methodism seems to be a factor in Wales, Cornwall and NW England in propagating it). It seems they've been to the Welsh International Eisteddfod (not the National one with the Gorsedd) in Llangollen and won in competitions

four times Premier Award Winners at Llangollen International Eisteddfod.

There is an interesting quote here:

In September 1996 the choir spent the weekend as guests of Newquay Male Voice Choir. They gave two concerts and also a recital in Truro Cathedral.

So maybe Welsh/Cornish/NW England choral singing in the top 50, at the expense of a royal. 8-)

Nos da,

Patrick

Coady

Post by Coady » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:30 pm

ACTUALLY, I don't care THAT much, so I've started a "Best of Cornish" thread instead! 8-)