Is there really a Cornish Culture?

Topical debate
Pfishwick

Post by Pfishwick » Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:51 pm

A good thread, meur ras/many thanks to the contributors.

I thought the Indy article went some way to recognising distinctive Cornish culture but:

i) in reference to Cornish nationalism, only referred to the "CNLA". No mention of JA's books, the CSP and the English Heritage signs, and nothing about MK :-(

ii) In reference to the Cornish language, made no comment regarding its close relationship with Breton and Welsh and completely avoided the use of the (admittedly over-used and abused) adjective "Celtic".

In spite of nods in the right direction from Miranda Bird, this comment was unhelpful:

lots of businesses are choosing Cornish names to cash in on the resurgence of the language

Just about cashing in? Nothing to do with identity? Oh dear :-?

MB is keen on contemporary art culture - there's nothing wrong with that - but how about a Cornish angle as well?

Better than getting nothing published at all though, don't you think? ;-)

Nos da,

Patrick

TGG

Post by TGG » Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:07 pm

Shaz - Posted: 01.10.2008, 22:00 said:
[size=small][quote=TGG]In response to the Telemachus comments above, about that Independent article and, of course, the genocidal activities of the ESW Quango, there is an opportunity for anyone directly involved/interested in Cornish traditional culture to participate in the "Cornwall (sic) Cultural Strategy" - Consultation at Camborne on the 5th November. Details here!

TGG For The (Real)Reason Why!

Is it important for people to attend this meeting TGG?[/size][/quote]
Shaz, I would say that it could be crucial for those directly involved/interested in and/or practising specifically Cornish culture to be in attendance. It is potentially the only opportunity to seek to affect opinions and decisions - at least, in theory! Therefore the notice itself should be copied and sent to as many appropriate people as possible.

STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE! -
They declare their Cornishness with pride
Whilst oblivious to our genocide
That England imposes
With smiles and Red Roses
Where the innocents, so gullibly, reside.

Bonniedundee

Post by Bonniedundee » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:56 am

TGG said:

That is undoubtedly true, but I am not sure why you feel that such a reply was relevant, as a response to what I had said?

What is being done to the Cornish people is in a profoundly different league to that of an individual's obvious gullibility to commercial brainwashing by market forces. Although, within a 'socio-political' context, the key phrase is still brainwashing! Just follow the link.

edited by: TGG, Sep 30, 2008 - 11:17 AM

I was replying to the OP, hence I didn't quote you.

Kerrow

Post by Kerrow » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:33 am

CORNWALL CULTURAL STRATEGY

CULTURAL SECTOR CONSULTATION EVENT

Wednesday 5 November

Centenary Wesleyan Church, Camborne

PROGRAMME

10:00 Arrivals, tea & coffee

10:30 Introduction to the Cornwall Cultural Strategy

11:00 Presentations

12:30 One Cornwall Culture Team Service Design

12:45 Q&A

13:00 LUNCH

13:45 Cllr Jeremy Rowe (Communities Portfolio Holder)

14:00 Moving tables: consultation on the five themes

Cornish roots
Community
Excellence
Challenge
Internationalism

15:30 Feedback from tables

16:00 Tea & coffee

16:30 Close

To reserve a place contact: Katie Roberton, Creative Unit (01209 315619) kroberton@cornwall.gov.uk

Sentinel

Post by Sentinel » Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:47 am

Anyone here going to this meeting?

I have been to a few, they usually let you say your piece and then carry on as if you had not spoken.

Pfishwick

Post by Pfishwick » Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:35 pm

So, how did the meeting go?

Please don't tell me that no-one who frequents this forum attended:-?

Good night,

Patrick

Guests

Post by Guests » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:57 am

A useful and interesting day.

Cornwall Council are preparing a Cultural Strategy, and genuine consultation looks as if it will be an integral part.

Proceedings were introduced by two clever Cornish girls who knew what they were talking about - Loveday Jenkin from Kerrier DC and Tamsin Daniels from Penwith DC, and Cllr Jeremy Rowe gave an overview. Nevertheless, the weakness in the current imported ‘officer’ class - Miranda Bird, Deborah Boden etc was apparent during the morning’s dull and largely irrelevant presentations.

There was one overriding topic coming from those attending- allowing, supporting and providing for Cornish culture, for all ages. It is an important step from local government.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:54 am

I had fully intended to go but I think that people might understand why I didn't.

Cawsando

Post by Cawsando » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:07 pm

No, why did't you come Marhak? I thought you were going to raise the Cornish not English marketing on the historical sites?

I also bumped into someone called Janet at Geevor mine who was disappointed that you've stopped the cornish lessons she was enjoying.
No good retiring from the public yet, there's too much to do.

I went for the morning, which was quite interesting, but had to leave the afternoon for work reasons. So I had no opportunity to raise the aformentioned.

The speeches were'nt bad at all really, Miranda Bird plans to build on the Dehwelans and invite all the cornish back permanently, as well as plant Cornish heritage on all the international mining sites.

I think she's right, we need all the entreprenueral ancestors, like the Trevithicks in Japan, to come back and help raise our game.

Anyone got the contact details for the Trevithick's in Japan?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:16 pm

That's not all I'm retiring from, Cawsando. Jesus, can't a guy even grieve in peace?

edited by: marhak, Nov 06, 2008 - 02:17 PM

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:21 pm

marhak said:
That's not all I'm retiring from, Cawsando. Jesus, can't a guy even grieve in peace?edited by: marhak, Nov 06, 2008 - 02:17 PM

If you have suffered a lose Marhak my thoughts and condolences are with you.

Cawsando

Post by Cawsando » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:21 pm

Gav dhymm dhys Marhak, no offence meant.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:39 pm

Nothing to forgive, my friends. Thank you.