Topical debate
Dannyboy

Post by Dannyboy » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:55 pm

Interesting read this....

http://www.time.com/time/europe/html/050829/story.html

Apologies if its already been posted.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:10 pm

Angarrack's campaign may seem like a lone, eccentric quest — his Celtic rallying cry is heeded by only a few — but it is emblematic of an identity crisis that's playing itself out all across Europe.

This time, the conflict is not between national identities and the cultures of relatively new immigrants to Europe — like those who have arrived from Asia or North Africa — but between the idea of a nation and the cultural survival of Europe's oldest minority groups.

The above are taken from the Time article.

1) lone, eccentric quest of 50,000, OK just 10% but its far from a one man show.

2)emblematic of an identity crisis that's playing itself out all across Europe and has been doing so for a very long time.

MK have been around since the fifties i think and the Cornish cultural movement for a lot longer.

Mark Stoyle explorers Cornish identities in the early modern period and what could in retrospect be described as a Cornish national consciousness.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/state/nati ... n_01.shtml The Cornish: A Neglected Nation? from the [[BBC]]

Following the first world war there were attempts to ensure the rights of national minorities. After the collapse of the multi ethnic Austro Hungarian and Ottoman empires national self determination became a hot topic but only for the losers of the great war! Of course the UK, France etc did not have any national minorities did they.

Then after the second war the Council of Europe and other bodies were created to promote peace in Europe and protect human rights including those of the national minorities.

That's why today the Cornish language is recognised and funded, its not because Westminster is benevolent its because Westminster was pushed to do so by the COE.

That's why if we all stand up and demand it so to could the rest of our cultural heritage and the right to proclaim ourselves as Cornish.

http://www.geecee.co.uk/CNMR/ The Cornish and the Council of Europe Framework Convention for the Protection of National Minorities

Anyway all that to say i found the Time article naive, patronising and typically American.

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:28 pm

its not because Westminster is benevolent its because Westminster was pushed to do so by the COE.

Yes you get nothing without pushing as that's the nature of it all - competing needs, competing groups, competing phylosophies and competing arguements. That's why we argue on here for Cornwall to have a greater say in things, but that doesn't mean you don't co-operate as it would be foolish not to and not just because co-operating is a generally nice thing to do, but it can also get you what you feel you need.

Yes agreed the article is a little patronising, but I'm seeing the positive side of it - it brings our case to a few more people some of whom might be sympathetic and practically useful to have on board.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:53 pm

You are right, i know.

I want to work with all peoples but in doing so i want to preserve our diversity as well as celebrate our humanity.