The Duchy Of Cornwall - Penzance Harbour Threatened By Cornwall Council Route Partnership Plan ?

Topical debate
TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:26 pm

Last edited by TeamKernow on Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:27 pm

Firstly, if Stevie knew Penzance, he'd know that Mike Sagar-Fenton's office is in Alverton Street from where the harbour is not visible at all.

Secondly, it's my belief that Graeme is targetting the wrong people.  It's not the councillors who are at fault here.  It's the senior officers, nearly all of whom have been parachuted in to give "advice" about a place of which they know nothing.  This goes all the way down from a Chief Exec who was (somehow) given the job in spite of his business interests here.  It's the officers who are toeing the London line, and the Councillors who vote against them can see that. Many of those Councillors are Cornish to the core.  You don't have to tell them what Cornwall's problems are.  They fully know and, remember – they are elected to represent their Ward members NOT London – but these imported officers haven't a clue about Cornish concerns and are not interested.  Their instructions come from 300 miles away.  Those same thoroughly Cornish councillors are undergoing regular threats and bullying unless they toe that line – I know this: several of them are friends of long standing who would gain nothing by telling me anything that isn't true.  God bless their fortitude – they have thus far refused to cave in.

Since the inception of Cornwall Council, I'm seeing faces and attitudes I've never seen before (and bear in mind that I was on the inside at Penwith for 10 years, and at Carrick for 14 before that).  These officers have no interest in public SERVICE – they're here to dictate on behalf of their distant masters.  Make no mistake about it.  Sure, Penwith (and Carrick) went through their corrupt years – I saw it from the inside but what's going on now is far more sinister.

Perhaps Graeme is too close to the forest to see the trees, and yet not close enough.  A councillor rarely gets to see what really goes on within those offices.  Even though I'm now on the outside, I have to deal with these imported officers on a regular basis.  Armed with the 24 years I was in those offices, I can see what's going on as plain as day.  Other imported officers are wholly in bed with the likes of Natural "England's" campaign to forcibly enclose, and eventually take over – our open moors – one tried to talk me round, and convince me of his non-existent expertise, at a recent forum, saw the curl on my lip as soon as he said "Lux-ULL-yan", and realised he'd cocked up.

Graeme – for Cornwall's sake, take a long step back, then look again.  You're targetting the wrong people.  These senior officers are very adept in arguing otherwise, and very persuasively, to the top man – something else I've seen before – and they've spent years doing it and perfecting the technique.  They won't bother with the ordinary committee members, apart from the aforementioned bullying tactics.  It's YOU they need to convince and they're bloody good at it.  That's where their professionalism really lies.  Don't sort the councillors.  Sort out the officers.  When you first stood for Council, you knew that this was where the problem lay - you told me so yourself.  It hasn't changed, except for the worse and - by God - it IS worse.  FAR worse.

If the officers are not sorted out, then you run the risk of kissing Cornwall goodbye.  Like our Mesolithic ancestors, we might just as well leave our land to the English and find a replacement homeland elsewhere.  I know you don't want that so – please! – take another good hard look.  Don't just take this from me – TALK to those Cornish councillors who feel more and more alienated as the weeks go by.

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:28 pm

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:29 pm

Rogerlowry

Post by Rogerlowry » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:06 pm

I have just been shown what Graeme Hicks wrote in then WMN on Thursday.

If councillors don't vote the way we want them to they should be removed. Sorry I'll read that again "If after training we are still having the same problems with the same councillors then they could be removed from sitting on the planning committee".

"Delays in the recent Penzance Harbour fiasco cost £6million".

The Penzance Harbour fiasco has underlying costs the the Cornish rate payers have not been made aware of by the Route Partnership or Mr Hicks.

I estimate they will be far in access of the grant funding that may be available and will continue to accrue way beyond the 25 year life span of the proposed new vessel on the route. Say £3million per annum.

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:07 am

rogerlowry said:

I have just been shown what Graeme Hicks wrote in then WMN on Thursday.

If councillors don't vote the way we want them to they should be removed. Sorry I'll read that again "If after training we are still having the same problems with the same councillors then they could be removed from sitting on the planning committee".

"Delays in the recent Penzance Harbour fiasco cost £6million".

The Penzance Harbour fiasco has underlying costs the the Cornish rate payers have not been made aware of by the Route Partnership or Mr Hicks.

I estimate they will be far in access of the grant funding that may be available and will continue to accrue way beyond the 25 year life span of the proposed new vessel on the route. Say £3million per annum.

And I, Mr Roger Lowry, have just been shown what you, a foreigner from England, wish to do with Penzance Harbour.  No Mr lowry, you don't give a fig for working Cornish harbours, you just want to transform them into marinas and playgrounds for the rich.

You are in no position, Sir, to criticise those who wish to maintain Penzance's status as a working harbour.  Now that your ambition to create something abhorrent to the people of Cornwall has been exposed, perhaps not before time, people will really begin to uinderstand why you and your scheming,  childish ilk have been squealing for so long.  Get real, Mr Roger Lowry - you don't hold a candle to others!  Because of your squealing and screaming, it is YOU and your ilk who has responsibility for adding an additional, large financial burden to the Cornish rate-payer and it is YOU that will have to sleep with that for the rest of your life!  

Rogerlowry

Post by Rogerlowry » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:40 pm

Head Under New Labours Extended Foot

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:31 pm

rogerlowry said:

Head Under New Labours Extended Foot

Hilarious, Mr Lowry. 

You seem to be confused between Labour stalwarts, the working classes, and working Cornish harbours! Not quite sure what Penzance Harbour's relevance is to New Labour.  Still, don't have 'nightmares' tonight, Mr Lowry, about the role you have played in the accruing of £6 million additional burden to the Cornish rate-payer.

In contrast, I can rest easily, safe in the knowledge that your plans to develop Penzance Harbour into a marina for gin-swilling City of London bankers and other foreigners from across the Tamar will never bear fruit!

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:12 pm

577 posts on this and much press and radio comment, so thought I would just add one - possibly stupid - question to the 'panel', as someone who doesn't know that much about it:

If much of Scilly belongs to Charles, Duke of Kernow, then surely he has most/all to benefit from any upgrade in transport links for trade/supply and tourism; my question is, as a dominant landlord on these islands, should he not be contributing (massively) to the costs of any upgrade in infrastructure, which will further ultimately increase his Cornish revenues?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:44 pm

Exactly what I have said throughout, Rosko.  If Cornwall Councillors and officers, cosied up to the Duke and their foreign "advisors", have seen fit to waste millions on what they knew local people did not want, and ignored viable alternatives, then why should it be our money, and not his?  Not that he'd even notice its loss if it did come from his pocket (some hopes of that!).

What I'd say to the councillors concerned is: remember who elected you and (to include the officers as well) and who you are there to represent.  The message is clear: shape up or ship out.

Hunlef

Post by Hunlef » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:49 pm

rosko said:

577 posts on this and much press and radio comment, so thought I would just add one - possibly stupid - question to the 'panel', as someone who doesn't know that much about it:

If much of Scilly belongs to Charles, Duke of Kernow, then surely he has most/all to benefit from any upgrade in transport links for trade/supply and tourism; my question is, as a dominant landlord on these islands, should he not be contributing (massively) to the costs of any upgrade in infrastructure, which will further ultimately increase his Cornish revenues?

Good point, Rosko.  Charlie is a benficiary of an improved link to Scillly.  I understand that, for once, the Duchy has made a significant contribution (£600,000) towards the costs of improvement to the infrastructure in St Mary's. 

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:59 pm

Reveal...
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

Mark

Re: The Duchy Of Cornwall - Penzance Harbour Threatened By C

Post by Mark » Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:45 pm

Update, see here: http://www.friendsofpzharbour.org/blog_more.php?b=97

Also, Andrew George condemns EH:

“English Heritage has come out of this badly. They have managed to convey a message to any
developer who might harm our local heritage that English Heritage’s protestations can be largely
ignored. English Heritage has shown that it will back down when put under ultimate pressure. This
undermines its standing and gives rise, no doubt, to thoughts that Cornwall might be better off
protecting its own heritage in its own way
.”
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:10 am

This is just the latest of a long series of appalling examples of antipathy for Cornish heritage that has been shown by "English" Heritage since its inception. This time, EH first upgraded the Listed status of South Pier from Grade II to Grade II*, putting it in the most important 4% of all historic buildings, then told the developers they can f**k it up as much as they want! It's reminiscent of when they allowed a Listed engine house north of St Austell, and owned by Lord Falmouth, to be demolished. Its importance, they said, was wiped out by the fact that it didn't contain an engine (!!) - which effectively condemns all our remainig engine houses, bar two.

Several of us wrote to the new government after the election suggesting that effective ways of saving money would be to abolish the national quangos "English" Heritage and Natural "England", and devolving their powers to the local organisations in those fields, as there is no need for two-tier management of the historic and natural environments. To the question of which of those tiers should go, it is obvious that local knowledge is of paramount importance. This disgraceful example of EH incompetence highlights the need for them to be disbanded.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:13 am

As to why "English" Heritage have caved in, and to whom, you don't have to look any further than Highgrove House, in my opinion.