The Duchy Of Cornwall - Penzance Harbour Threatened By Cornwall Council Route Partnership Plan ?

Topical debate
Roger Lowry

Re: The Duchy Of Cornwall - Penzance Harbour Threatened By C

Post by Roger Lowry » Fri Dec 02, 2011 9:35 pm

The following document is what the Penzance Harbour Users Association have drawn up and presented to many stakeholders who have in principle agreed with the concept. Many have said this should have been constructed in the 1970's. It includes Coastline Management protecting the railway link, the historic Grade II* listed harbour etc. and will encourage regeneration providing a better economic future for generations to come.
HarbourProposalSept2011.jpg
HarbourProposalSept2011.jpg (122.78 KiB) Viewed 1959 times

Roger Lowry

Post by Roger Lowry » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:59 pm

With regard to my posting above Cornwall Council have announced a Draught Cornwall Maritime Strategy consultation that would seem to suggest the Harbour Users plan is the way to go.
See http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=29431
Maritime tourism, low carbon freight transport by sea, protection of heritage harbours, coastline protection etc. etc.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Dec 09, 2011 9:39 am

I'll bet that Hicksy, Waters et al are spitting in their cornflakes. But then, if we're all Nazis, then perhaps it's apt that this document is signed by Cllr German.

tean

Post by tean » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:48 pm

Roger Lowry wrote:With regard to my posting above Cornwall Council have announced a Draught Cornwall Maritime Strategy consultation that would seem to suggest the Harbour Users plan is the way to go.
See http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/default.aspx?page=29431
Maritime tourism, low carbon freight transport by sea, protection of heritage harbours, coastline protection etc. etc.

Ships produce twice the amound of carbon than aircraft. So no low carbon freight transport then.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2 ... ortintheuk

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:38 pm

So we build some windjammers, then. They'll probably get there just as quick.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:41 pm

(And just imagine the number of people queueing up for a trip on a sailing ship!!!!! It'd be the equivalent of travelling by rail and being pulled by the Flying Scotsman).

tean

Post by tean » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:43 pm

So you remember The Onedin Line too, Marhak.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:45 am

I can't help being aged. Do I remember it ? - I still bear the marks of being flogged before the mast.
But I have travelled on a train pulled by the Flying Scotsman, and only about 15 years ago, too.

Roger Lowry

Post by Roger Lowry » Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:48 pm

Nothing wrong with sailing vessels! Both the Belem, the French square rigger built in 1896, and the Bessie Ellen, West Country trading vessel built in Plymouth in 1904, have recently been involved in the wine trade carrying cargo between France and other European destinations.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:14 pm

Perhaps we can get the Phoenix up and running between Roscoff and Prussia Cove again!

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:58 am

From the article: Carbon dioxide emissions from shipping are double those of aviation and increasing at an alarming rate which will have a serious impact on global warming, according to research by the industry and European academics.
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Bollocks !!!!!!!!!!!!

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:26 am

Hey Roger,
Don't mean to be splitting hairs, here, but given this is a site for Cornwall, not Angland, I expect we should do the Bretons justice, and acknowledge that the Belem was a Breton built-ship (in their Duchy town/historic capital, Nantes/Noaned), and not a French one, despite the occasional use of the tricolour, during its 115-year history...
The Bretons, like the Cornish, have a long and proud maritime traditon, incl. ship-building and sailing, which surpasses anything the more recently established French state has to offer.

Roger Lowry

Post by Roger Lowry » Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:30 pm

Rosko. Hands up! My mistake - not intentional.
Page 5 of the Cornwall Draught Strategy document states under the heading "Rising oil prices and Peak Oil" The resulting increases in travel and transport costs will drive solutions such as alternative fuel sources, sustainable transport, and more local foods and goods production. Coastal shipping may become more important for the shipping of goods, increasing the role for small ports.

Roger Lowry

Post by Roger Lowry » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:08 pm

I see Penzance Harbour Users have got their scheme to improve the economy for future generations of West Cornwall into the Cornwall Council Core Strategy document.

PM6: Penzance Harbour Extension – A project to extend Penzance Harbour to the east of Albert Pier is being proposed by the Penzance Harbour Users Association. The project proposes the creation of a new marina. The project would require the construction of a new pier arm sea wall and breakwater out into Mounts Bay to create some 400 new moorings and facilities for boat users. In addition the development would reclaim an 8 hectare area of land to enable a mixed used development area to provide a marina car park, marine related employment, leisure and residential uses. Any development would need to consider its potential impact on the environment, ecology and hydrology of the Bay. As this development is beyondthe scope of the current Harbour a new Harbour Revision Order will need to be granted before proposals can proceed.

Roger Lowry

Post by Roger Lowry » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:26 pm

The Penzance Harbour Scheme Project has come up with a shortlist of three options - one (the most popular) has been ruled out because of cost.
All three schemes will be presented to the public at an Exhibition & Community Consultation event on Thursday the 9th February at the PZ Gallery (Taylors Garage) Coinagehall Street Penzance from 11.00am -9.00pm.
The aim of the options review is to identify a scheme that integrates well with the town, capitalises on community benefit wherever possible and does not hinder community ambitions for the future development of the harbour.
£8million chucked in the wrong direction I suspect with little community benefit.