Getting more people to speak Cornish

Topical debate
ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:24 pm

I haven't posted on Cornwall24 for about 6 months but I felt compelled to finally propose my idea in concern to this topic.
I've been learning Norwegian and French with the Pimsleur system and have been amazed at how fluent you become in such a short time frame.
Each lesson of 30 minutes consists of a conversation, which you learn over the course of the lesson. 
The difference with the Pimsleur method is that it actively pushes the information you learn from your short term memory to your long term memory by getting you to remember the new information in different contexts over a 5 minute period, then a 10 minute, then 30 minute, then an hour etc.
You are usually fluent in each word about 3 lessons after you were originally taught it.
The other great thing about this course is that it teaches you only the most important and every day words in the language. You learn them so quickly and understand them without having to translate. They flow from you like English would.

The individual language courses seem to be structured in the same way.
e.g. In the first lesson you are taught "Excuse me, do you understand English. No, I don't understand English. I understand a little xxxx. Are you American? Yes Sir/Madam".
The conversations get more complex in a short time period and it remains easy to understand and become fluent in each lesson.

I would like to see if any fluent speakers of Cornish would be interested in creating a Pimsleur style course in Cornish.
I have experience of professional sound engineering and would be happy to lend time to creating this project with two or three speakers. We can start with the first 10 lessons and see where it goes from there. but even the first 10 lessons allow the learner to be able to get by in their chosen language.
If anyone is willing to lend free time to this project I really think it would increase th ability of speakers and the ease at which one could take up the language by a great amount.
Obviously no-one would make any money from this project seeing as we would be copying a copyrighted process and it would be distributed by word of mouth.

Please PM me if you are interested or want some more information.

Jago

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:28 pm

This sounds very worthwhile. Tell us more!
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:29 pm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates