Getting more people to speak Cornish

Topical debate
Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:29 pm

This sounds very worthwhile. Tell us more!
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:34 pm

Last edited by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Tue Mar 02, 2010 7:43 pm

Last edited by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla on Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gorvrywi

Post by Gorvrywi » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:05 pm

Pur dhidheurek!
I had to have a quick geek at the Wiki article on it... I wonder if anyones ever analysed the frequency of Cornish words?
It would be an interesting project.

Oll an gwella!

truru

Post by truru » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:06 pm

You should get in touch with Maga, who can point you in the direction of Cornish speakers who have done audio courses before, and probably help you.

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:21 pm

I was considering the frequency differences as well but all the courses seem to follow the same script.
I was thinking of going to MAGA but the fact that this isn't exactly above board and is dubious on a legal front kind of negates doing this by the books.
It'll have to be free and it'll have to be passed on by word of mouth and by people copying CD's for each other.
The fact that it is  a stunningly impressive course kind of excuses the fact that it has to be done in such a back handed way.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:09 pm

Sorry about that. Whenever I answer from the phone, it seems to multiply more and more.
BAH!
Anyway, what I was going to say was that, from what you describe, the method sounds very generic. Look forward to hearing more of your idea.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:24 am

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla said:Please don't comment on Anselms sillyness people. If you're interested please just ignore it and reply to my post instead. The rason I left was because of trolls and the fact subject matter never lasted long before everyone bit the bait and brought the conversation off topic.

"Bedhes gwyskys diwweyth kyns gweskel unnweyth" - an gwella poynt a skians oll!

There is a more cooperative spirit here than there used to be. Let's keep it going.

I also like the sound of this idea and hope to hear more about it.

Ben

Post by Ben » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:48 am

ThingsThatGo

It was interesting to read your post, I’ve never used the Pimsleur method but have heard it praised, particularly by Americans.

Have you ever come across the Michel Thomas language tapes and CDs? His method is absolutely brilliant. He teaches spoken language, not written, and you learn, or brush-up, your skills at great speed and with relative ease. They are very expensive to buy, but most libraries seem to keep them. They really are a huge improvement on the old book style learning practised when I was at school in the sixties.

I’m not sure if there are any similarities between the Pimsleur and Thomas methods, other, of course, than neither being available for learners of Cornish… yet!