Know of any empty houses? Let the Council know.

Topical debate
Kerrow

Post by Kerrow » Thu May 27, 2010 5:11 pm

An interesting and useful blog from Cllr Andrew Wallis:

"In Cornwall there is alleged some 4000 homes that have been unoccupied for over 6 months. That in anyones book is a lot of homes that could be brought back into use.  Cornwall Council recognises that this problem should be addressed.  The trick is how?

In simple terms, and I believe a valid argument is why build more homes when there are many unused. Cornwall Council as the Local Authority has some pretty far reaching powers to address this.  The end of the scale is Compulsory Purchasing.  It does not like to use this lightly, but there is a feeling that these powers should be exercised to solve this problem. "

http://cllrandrewwallis.blogsp.....homes.html

If you know of any unused houses in your area let the Council, or your local Councillor, or

Andrew Wallis    awallis@cornwall.gov.uk     know the details.

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Thu May 27, 2010 5:49 pm

I live in Praa Sands,

There are quite a lot of houses that are empty for more than 6 months each year, I take it that these are not the sort they're after.

Or are they?
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri May 28, 2010 6:53 am

Well, they could start with all of Lord Falmouth's empty and derelict cottages.  That'll be a real test for the Council's commitment to the cause.  If they treat the man as a sacred cow, then we'll all know the truth of that.

HeamoorMan

Post by HeamoorMan » Fri May 28, 2010 12:42 pm

St Eval,   hundreds of empty former MOD Married Quarters,,,,until recently lived in by service families, i lived in one myself for 5 years,,,,when we got moved out to other quarters,,, these houses were apparently offered to the council and housing associations,,,,but were declined, again apparently on the grounds that they were below the required standard of accomodation!!!!!!!!!!! What??????

Double glazed, Centrally Heated, semi detached, parking, most with sky dishes, telephone lines etc, Gas,

And they are below standard??

So they were ok for Service FAMILIES to live in, but not for Council and Housing Association Tenants?????

Unbelievable!!!

Now they have been taken back by Annington Homes,,,,and are being modernised further done up and sold....but many are still standing empty,, and I'm sure that many many people would love to have the opportunity to rent one of these Houses....

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Fri May 28, 2010 3:04 pm

I take it you mean council owned property?

Private property shouldn't even enter the equation (Including Lord Falmouth's as mentioned).

Everyone has a right to own property and if they are fortunate enough, more than one.

We do after all live in a free society - not a police state!

The council are there to provide services, including housing (publicly owned) and have nothing to do with the private housing sector.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri May 28, 2010 4:08 pm

A lot of what you call 'private property' in Cornwall, especially that of certain large landowners, came their way illegally (read your history books and you'll find how how that came to be), so it is questionable whether many of these empty dwellings are legally owned.  Landowners who let perfectly good properties deteriorate and lie derelict, when they could be housing a local family, are morally wrong and utterly reprehensible.  They deserve to have those properties taken away, just as they were taken from their original and legitimate owners.

Newforestpolecat

Post by Newforestpolecat » Fri May 28, 2010 9:19 pm

marhak said:

A lot of what you call 'private property' in Cornwall, especially that of certain large landowners, came their way illegally (read your history books and you'll find how how that came to be), so it is questionable whether many of these empty dwellings are legally owned.  Landowners who let perfectly good properties deteriorate and lie derelict, when they could be housing a local family, are morally wrong and utterly reprehensible.  They deserve to have those properties taken away, just as they were taken from their original and legitimate owners.

yeah even more annoyin is why theys empty nipper!

ere anything without furnitures fair game so im told,

there was an empty one at the end of our lane a coupler years back, in they went telly on feet up

i said to um ow ya get the electric on?  and the nipper said easy mate !,jump leads a  two inch nail through the black and another through the red  under the meter!

the funny thing was they did cut the grass even if it was with an electric mower ,

they yungans did ave a sense o pride about um,

an i tell ya it tis amazin ow many council officials an police there were when they came an gottum out,

it wudda bin better if the same council spent the time an money gettin folk into ouses nipper!

Newforestpolecat

Post by Newforestpolecat » Sat May 29, 2010 8:11 pm

well nothin like that appens roun ere coz councilor bigpockets ul put paid to it,

it mite appen up country but it twont appen ere!

ohh yes it will nipper,

ya got all they cuts ta come yet!

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Sat May 29, 2010 10:04 pm

newforestpolecat said:

yeah even more annoyin is why theys empty nipper!

ere anything without furnitures fair game so im told,

there was an empty one at the end of our lane a coupler years back, in they went telly on feet up

i said to um ow ya get the electric on?  and the nipper said easy mate !,jump leads a  two inch nail through the black and another through the red  under the meter!

the funny thing was they did cut the grass even if it was with an electric mower ,

they yungans did ave a sense o pride about um,

an i tell ya it tis amazin ow many council officials an police there were when they came an gottum out,

it wudda bin better if the same council spent the time an money gettin folk into ouses nipper!

Zennorman

Post by Zennorman » Sun May 30, 2010 12:09 pm

Trevorpen said:

I take it you mean council owned property?

Private property shouldn't even enter the equation (Including Lord Falmouth's as mentioned).

Everyone has a right to own property and if they are fortunate enough, more than one.

We do after all live in a free society - not a police state!

The council are there to provide services, including housing (publicly owned) and have nothing to do with the private housing sector.

How did 'Lord Falmouth' come by his property? Hard workd?

'We live in a free society'. Only for those with money.

Coady

Re: Know of any empty houses? Let the Council know.

Post by Coady » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:48 am

As has already been pointed out, the required standard of a property for rental by a council or housing association is quite high... needs to be upgraded to modern electrics, modern plumbing, heating and insulation standards to comply with all sorts of regulations before it can be rented out.

Compulsory purchase needs to pay a fair market price in compensation.
Many of the empty holiday/second homes are in expensive areas and therefore expensive properties..
Add this all together and the councillor (and Teamkernow etc.) will find it is cheaper to build new homes than to seize and modify older vacant properties.

There are cheaper properties though... look at all the potential flats above shops in our towns? Perhaps if they were brought into use and occupied it would add to overnight security and help bring vibrancy and life to our town centres?
We live in interesting times!