Who owns the foreshore around Looe Island?

Topical debate
Palores

Who owns the foreshore around Looe Island?

Post by Palores » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:00 pm

By chance I came across an interesting discussion about kayakers trying to land on the foreshore of Looe Island,
and being told to "push off". No reference to the famous 19th century foreshore case, however; some contributors thought that the foreshore around the island belonged to the Crown!

Here is the link.
http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php

P_Trembath

Re: Who owns the foreshore around Looe Island?

Post by P_Trembath » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:22 pm

I followed you link, to got a page that says:-
Information
The requested topic does not exist.
??????????
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

factotum

Post by factotum » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:27 pm

Whether it's the Duchy or the Crown, it can't be the adjacent landowner. The only part of the UK where that is true is in Orkney and Shetland which were never under the feudal system, but come under scandanavian udal law. Much more democratic, there you own your land directly 'from God', whereas everywhere else you're still technically the 'tenant' of some overlord. Does it really matter whether you're beholden to Liz or Chas?

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:44 am

the island is now looked after by a trust so I expect it was someone working over there that told them to sod off. Most people don't know what the foreshore is, so I expect the person telling them to sod off thought that they were trying to land on the island with no distinction made to the foreshore

Palores

Post by Palores » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:15 am

Sorry that the link did not work. The fuller URL is:

http://www.ukriversguidebook.co.uk/foru ... 3&p=425648

Failing that, put "Ranneys Looe" into Google and go to the item marked "Guidebook Community Pages".

Nige999

Post by Nige999 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:05 am

From the link
Only to be meet immediately by a Cornish Wildlife Trust 'warden' telling us polity to bugger off.
reminds me of a few years ago when me and her indoors were walking along the path by Rinsey and this hag came out of a garden shed and started going on about disturbing birds or some other shi ite in an annoying hectoring "home counties" screech.

I was all for having a go at the old trout but the missus knows what I am like when I get going so dragged me away so I could have my tantrum back at the car.

The harridan was having a go at me for daring to go where I used to play - I lived two miles away - not in Surrey, where my ancestors worked the mines and where their families watched the emigrant boats sailing from Falmouth taking their young men overseas, probably never to be seen again.

My dad used to tell me that Rinsey Head was where they used to gather as it was the last place to see the boats from land. Not sure if that is right but it makes sense.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:32 am

Yeah, this is what we're getting from these blow-ins, like these wardens, Natural "England" etc., trying to curtail our rights as Cornish people and order us about. My advice? Ignore 'em and do as you please. The paths are rights of way - you have the right to walk it, so exercise your rights and tell these people excatly where to shove their orders and how far up to shove 'em. They need to be told that they're guests here, and to behave accordingly.

By the way, we have a report penned by Steve Clarke of Natural "England", re Penwith Moors, describing us as "the natives getting restless", so there we have exactly what their attitude is.

Nige999

Post by Nige999 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:33 pm

describing us as "the natives getting restless"
that is disgusting, wonder if they could say that about Bradford, Southall or Oldham or anywhere else with a large number of residents of Asian origin ?

and they wonder why we aren't all clamouring to be ingurrlish ?

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:40 pm

just read the page now the correct link has been posted and I see Nick P posted a reply, I know nick pretty well having worked with him for several years, he's a Looer and a pretty straight bloke, and he does know what he on about

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:31 pm

As far as I can see, the entire foreshore of Cornwall, including Looe Island, belongs to the Duchy which, under the terms of its Charters, is not permitted to dispose of any of it. The Crown owns nothing in Cornwall. I might have bought this house, but I only have it in freehold from the Duchy, which is the owner of the soil it's built on.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:40 pm

By the way, note how they love to promote the name "St George's Island" to Looe Island. This name didn't exist until 1584 - another example of the mass Anglicisation that happened after 1549 - and the religious settlement on the island was always dedicated to St Michael. Here's a history of the island's name:

Insula S. Michaelis de Lammana c.1250; S. Michael of Lammana c. 1290; Insula S. Michaelis de Loo c. 1490; Lamayne c. 1547; Island of St Michael 1576; St Georges Island 1584, 1602, 1605, 1866; Looe Island 1639, 1823, 1866. (Lammana is Lanmanagh, 'monk's church enclosure' - the island's religious settlement later transferred to a site on the mainland almost opposite and the name went with it). Alternatively: Enys Mihal (or Vihal, but personal names often don't mutate).

I recommend rendering this into Cornish as as: Enys Lanmanagh.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 2:42 pm

Aaargh! Lack of an editing facility makes life difficult! The last sentence of the penultimate paragraph should be tacked onto the last para.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:16 pm

easier just to stick to Looe Island, no locals call it St Georges anyway

Carbilly

Post by Carbilly » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:32 pm

easier just to stick to Looe Island, no locals call it St Georges anyway
No locals were involved in the decision to promote the name St George's island - in fact, (surprise surprise) no Cornish at all.
Marhak - is that the Steve Clarke who used to be a Warden for the National 'Front' at Penwith? Me and you must meet for a pint sometime... ;)