Who owns the foreshore around Looe Island?

Topical debate
Fancyabrew

Re: Who owns the foreshore around Looe Island?

Post by Fancyabrew » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:43 pm

I don't think they do "promote" the name St Georges, they just call it that because that is its name.

No conspriacy here, move along please

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:54 pm

Not of our coining, Fancy. The earliest two references with that name are John Norden (English) and Carew (Eng, sympathiser - we won't ask how his family got his lands)). This was the half century in which the British Sea became the English Channel, Cornwall disappeared from maps and documents as a separate entity, etc. (detailed in John Angarrack: Our Future is History). Names get acceptance because of the way they're presented, and the same can be achieved in reverse. For example if every book and map produced in Cornwall called it 'Looe Island', or 'St Michael's Island', then, eventually, it would supersede the imposed, false and alien one.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:57 pm

yeah but you could put that argument forward for nearly every placename anywhere. St Gorgeos ISN'T promoted by some kind of English conspriacy

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:59 pm

Sounds good to me, Carbilly. I think this Steve Clarke is an NE blow-in - if a description helps, he's fat with a straggly black beard.

Nice to see you, too, Mike. Pity I don't get to ride the mighty man more often. That was the first time for 8 months or so. He is colossal, though, isn't he? Sorry to say, Paddy's not too well (the 'oss, not you, Mr Trembath) - we're keeping an anxious eye on the old fella.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:01 pm

Who (apart from you) has mentioned a conspiracy? Why assume it? However, the Cornish didn't invent it and, as you've just read, locals don't use that name.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:02 pm

I do like 'St Gorgeos', though - sounds like Cristiano Ronaldo's opinion of himself.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:15 pm

The way you write your comments using the term "they" as with most things you say hints at some underlying conspiracy by the English. I don’t really care less what it’s called, but as my dads half of my family are from West Looe and my Grandad used to work on the island when he was a kid back in the 1910’s and I went to Looe School, I shall call it Looe Island. BUT the correct name is St Georges, like it or lump it.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:06 pm

I choose to lump it, and say rather that one of its present names is St George's Island. That doesn't make it correct. My historical list speaks for itself. Someone coined the name, someone else wrote it in a document, someone wrote it in on a map. That's 'they'. I still don't see where 'conspiracy' comes into the equation.

The O.S gives, as a Penwith cove name: Le Scathe Cove and an outlying rock Gazell. They have done for years and, because the O.S. shows them that way, people use them According to your apparent principles, that makes these names 'correct'. In fact, they're not correct, they're transposed. (an) Gasal is literally 'armpit', describing an indented cove pretty well, while an 18th century estate map clearly marks the rock as 'Lech Skath' ('boat ledge'). It's not correct - it's an Ordnance Survey mistake.

So is Bodmin Moor, a name used by everyone and his/her brother. The O.S. made this up in 1813. Before their first map, the name was totally unknown. It was Fowey Moor, after the principal river rising on it (like Dartmoor and Exmoor), for centuries. Before that, in the 12th century it was Goen Bren, 'hill downs'. Just because a name is in popular usage because the official maps feature ity still doesn't make it correct. Place-names are coined by local people, wherever you may be, and a false name given by outsiders can never be correct. That's why Australia's "Ayers Rock" is no longer called that. Someone actually showed respect for the native name and restored it. I'd like that done here.

Stephen Richardson

Post by Stephen Richardson » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:08 pm

Just reading John Angarrack's "Our Future Is History". He mentions "Ayre's Rock" - now leased back by indigineous people and given back its original name. Changing the names of places is at the very least cultural aggression when the change is imposed by outsiders and is certainly to be viewed as 'conspiracy' if you believe that the change in name then leads 'academics' to claim things that can't be justified other than because of a name imposed by the state machinery that they represent.
When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:33 pm

well maybe the powers at be in London sorry Londinium will listen to you, but I doubt it.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jun 30, 2010 9:55 pm

It is not the brief of the powers-that-be in London to listen to us. Their brief is to dictate to us. Ours is to ignore them.

mockinbird

Post by mockinbird » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:20 am

I'm fascinated by the frequent mention of Steve Clarke! How many of us have received his letters stinking of condescending bo..ocks (Sorry that's not very ladylike)

Is he worthy of his very own "topic"? Probably not. I still shudder every time I recall his letter, after complaining about cattle on Gold Gotham, that there is a leaflet on how to behave around cattle...just a shame my dog doesn't read.

shaz

Post by shaz » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:52 pm

I spoke to Steve Clarke regarding his position on "Natural England" he told me to take it up with his boss...

This was during a meeting we went to with "Save Penwith Moors"

Marhak what is the matter with the orse? :?

Looe Island

Maybe some call it St Georges island because you can see Ingland from there :)

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:02 pm

Maybe we should take his offensive comments to his boss.

'Oss lost weight for some reason and is struggling to put it back on, even though he's on 3 big meals a day. Also moving poorly (he's been a touch arthritic for a while, but generally does OK - moving very gingerly now). I'm hoping the weight loss isn't to do with age, when body can't turn food into fat any more - that signalled the beginning of the end with Larnie. Fingers crossed.

Outsider

Post by Outsider » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:16 pm

"just a shame my dog doesn't read."

No but hopefully you do, and your supposed to be responsible for your dog.

P.S Not taking sides just sick of muppet dog owners.