Topical debate
Fancyabrew

PM Has Cornish Daughter!

Post by Fancyabrew » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:30 pm

lol this could have some mileage!

t2

Re: PM Has Cornish Daughter!

Post by t2 » Tue Aug 24, 2010 3:17 pm

Last edited by t2 on Sat Mar 05, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

carrek

Post by carrek » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:34 pm

Chances are she won't be brought up in Cornwall, so won't "feel" Cornish, so won't identify as Cornish. But you never know!

carrek

Post by carrek » Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:36 pm

Mr Cameron did say there would be a Cornish link in the baby's name.

The Prime Minister says: "I think we will have to have something Cornish in the middle. It's very exciting with being on holiday."
http://news.bbc.co.uk/local/cornwall/hi ... 940910.stm

Perhaps she might feel a bit Cornish with a Cornish name.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:30 pm

Cameron has not got a Cornish daughter,. He has a daughter that just happens to have been born in Cornwall. As Cliff Richard happened to have been born in India. As British forces families have children that happen to have been born in Germany, Cyprus, Trinidad, Malta, because that's where the parents happened to have been at the time of birth. To call the child "Cornish" is ludicrous.

mockinbird

Post by mockinbird » Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:34 pm

Let's just wish her health,happiness and a peaceful life The birth of any child should bring joy and love to all those around her across the globe!

Coady

Post by Coady » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:10 pm

Slipalong Trevaskis Cameron........
We live in interesting times!

HeamoorMan

Post by HeamoorMan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:21 pm

t2 wrote:does that make her cornish?
Yes, by Place of Birth Truro Cornwall..thats what it will say on her Birth Certificate....

And I agree this could be a good thing for Cornwall,,,its pretty obvious that The PM has an infinty with Cornwall, now with his Daughter being born here you never know??
He might just realise what we have to put up with down here, and decide to help us out abit....

As for a Cornish link I heard the parents were asking for suggestions to this link as in a Cornish name for the baby...

So how about calling her MEVAGISSEY!! or MADRON!! or Crofty maybe??
Best Regards

HeamoorMan.

HeamoorMan

Post by HeamoorMan » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:29 pm

Marhak wrote:Cameron has not got a Cornish daughter,. He has a daughter that just happens to have been born in Cornwall. As Cliff Richard happened to have been born in India. As British forces families have children that happen to have been born in Germany, Cyprus, Trinidad, Malta, because that's where the parents happened to have been at the time of birth. To call the child "Cornish" is ludicrous.
Well no its not actually,,, your nationality is the nationality of the flag you are born under....

In the case of British Forces,,,,most births of this nature take place under the British flag on British Territory or Sovereign Base Areas as in Germany, Cyprus, etc, etc, so therefore BRITISH,,,,if born out side these areas then they would be of that nationality,,,,for example a British Forces Child born in Limassol Cyprus would be deemed Cypriot and therefore in the future if returned to Cyprus could well be conscripted into the Greek Cypriot forces for national service,,,as has happened to many Turkish soldiers and believe me that is True because I have met some of them,,,Cockney, and Australian, born in Turkey, moved as children to other countries emmigrated, return to their parents home land for a holiday and wallop,, conscripted 2 years national service.. it happens..
Best Regards

HeamoorMan.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Aug 24, 2010 8:45 pm

Her nationality will be British, that being the only one in this island that appears on your passport.

mockinbird

Post by mockinbird » Tue Aug 24, 2010 9:22 pm

Yes, she will be British! But she could have a choice of some of the most beautiful names :Kerenza, Kerra, Senara, Tegan, Lowena...and with my very limited knowledge of the meaning of Cornish words, a baby will translate as all of them... joy, love, pretty little thing.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:08 pm

I'm not feeling all that good-wishy. I don't even feel charitable. Not until Cameron keeps his promises to Cornwall and its people. Where's our promised Minister for Cornwall? Why is he threatening to violate our ancient border with constituency changes? Etc. Etc. Etc. (It's not as though this child will ever want for anything - unlike all too high a proportion of British and Cornish people).

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Tue Aug 24, 2010 11:29 pm

Coady wrote:Slipalong Trevaskis Cameron........
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Coady

Post by Coady » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:17 am

The Cameron's first child, Arthur was born in 2002 had a rare illness combining cerebral palsy and severe epilepsy, and died in 2009 aged six. A sad event for any family.

Daughter Gwen was born in 2004 and now this daughter born at the maternity unit at Treliske.

I hope he had time to take note of the somewhat run down nature of the building and the chronic shortage of midwives I experienced five years ago.

I hope all goes well with their children, and if there is the faintest chance that the new one's birth place enhances in any way the Cameron's liking for Cornwall, then it will be a good thing.

I doubt it will make much practical difference, but time will tell.

If only wealthy and influential visitors could see some of the deprivation in the less favoured areas of Cornwall, and see past the rose tinted "Cornish dream" of the holiday brochures and Estate Agent's sales patter.
We live in interesting times!

Stephen Richardson

Post by Stephen Richardson » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:58 am

I hope all goes well with their children, and if there is the faintest chance that the new one's birth place enhances in any way the Cameron's liking for Cornwall, then it will be a good thing.
Many people 'like' Cornwall - it is the leisure park of England after all.

No doubt Mr Cameron will be working out many ways to increase the tourist trade that is so essential for this lovely county of the South West.

I don't suppose he will understand Kernow any better though.
When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.