Fishermans children holidaying in France

Topical debate
pennblogh

Fishermans children holidaying in France

Post by pennblogh » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:39 pm

I was talking to an old boy recently, his family like him fished from SE Cornwall and in the course of the conversation he started to tell me and Crago about when he was a boy after WW2. Breton boats would come to work our coast and crews would stay with local families. when they sailed back to Britanny they would often take him and his mates back with them for anything up to a few weeks. This seemed to him to be nothing out of the ordinary and was just what had always happened. Neither Crago nor I knew any thing about this practice, has anyone else done it or heard of it or was it a very limited thing ?

pennblogh

Re: Fishermans children holidaying in France

Post by pennblogh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:43 pm

I regret to say that my friend Tony Jago who recounted this yarn, died just before Cristmas. He will be sadly missed by all who knew him. I think that will close this query.
Pennblogh

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:54 pm

dolly pentreath

Post by dolly pentreath » Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:34 pm

I remember John Jenkin of Golant, who was born and bred in Newlyn (or possibly Penzance) saying that he used to sail to Brittany as a kid on Breton fishing boats. His youngest memories included hanging around the Breton boats in Newlyn with the other kids, so much so that he always thought that the word for boat was bateau!

Don't like the title of this thread.

It's bad enough the French government telling the Bretons that their country doesn't exist, without us doing their dirty work for them.

Can't you change it, pennblogh?