UKIP speak Cornish

Topical debate
Fulub-le-Breton

UKIP speak Cornish

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:50 pm

Or at least one lone voice within the party does: (Belated) Gool Pyran lowen – Happy St Piran’s day!
Posted by Chris Palmer on 8 March, 2011 in Comment, UKIP Local | http://www.indhome.com/2011/03/belated- ... irans-day/

Makes a change from what you might expect from the right of the Tory party. I believe Chris Palmer is an unusual UKIP member in that he would like to see the party become Libertarian and UK federalist -including English and Cornish parliaments.

Personally I've never come across any other UKIP members -on the net or face to face- that share his position. Maybe others have. I can't help feeling he'd be better of in the UK Libertarian Party (UKLP) rather than UKIP.

Still if UKIP became a libertarian (rather than hard-right) party that supported the creation of English, Scottish, Welsh and Cornish parliaments within a federal UK it'd be an interesting ticket. They'd probably gobble up smaller parties like the English and Cornish Democrats along with the UKLP.

carrek

Re: UKIP speak Cornish

Post by carrek » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:05 pm

About as likely as the Lib Dems becoming a Cornish Assembly-supporting party.

:mrgreen:

zennorman2

Post by zennorman2 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:25 pm

If UKIP dropped the prejudical anti foreigner, anti 'PC' anti youth rhetoric that you find in the Trago Mills adverts they may get more votes. Europe is generally bad news.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:19 pm

Most UKIP people that I've come across have been strongly anti-Celtic.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:14 am

This little UKIP sop is much like Radio anti-Cornwall, where Churchfield comes on, says: "Myttin da", then off they go with "co*nty, co*nty, co*nty; England, England, England" for the next few hours.

Kitto

Post by Kitto » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:22 pm

Marhak wrote:This little UKIP sop is much like Radio anti-Cornwall, where Churchfield comes on, says: "Myttin da", then off they go with "co*nty, co*nty, co*nty; England, England, England" for the next few hours.

Hmmm lovely impression you have of me. Yes, I'm English, what of it?

Kitto

Post by Kitto » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:24 pm

zennorman2 wrote:If UKIP dropped the prejudical anti foreigner, anti 'PC' anti youth rhetoric that you find in the Trago Mills adverts they may get more votes. Europe is generally bad news.

UKIP isn't anti-foreigner, hence why we have a Spanish MEP, an Indian born MEP, and a Jamaican born policy spokesman. Its most definitely not an anti-youth party either - I'm 22! Europe is not bad news at all, I love Europe, and I've lived, worked, and studied there - the EU is the bad news.

Stephen Richardson

Post by Stephen Richardson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:25 pm

UKIP argue that the UK should leave Europe because it puts more into it than it gets out. Therefore, they should surely recognise the case for Cornwall being distinct from England. After all we put far more in than is ever given back. Following UKIP's logic, Cornwall should actually remain in Europe and have its position outside England confirmed.
When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

carrek

Post by carrek » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:26 am

If the UK left the EU we would still have to implement 80% of EU law. Any country that wants to trade with the EU must apply EU law. UKIP often give Norway as a model for the UK to follow, but they are in the EEA and must apply EU law, yet they get no say in what that law looks like. They have no commissioners in the Berlaymont and no MEPs in the Parliament. Even non-EEA countries, look at the problems Canada has had with the EU ban on seal products. This fact is so easily accessible it makes me wonder what UKIP's real motives for withdrawal are. Being in the EU we can have a say in what that law looks like. Plus not to mention the tariffs we would have to pay for access to the single market.

UKIP are just a bunch of little-Englander hyper-tories who still think there's an empire.

They have absolutely no other policies for running the country. This is demonstrated every time the gormless Nigel Farage appears on Question Time and turns every single question, even those entirely unrelated to Europe, back to the EU. He often complains about the so-called "gravy train" but is not above receiving a yearly salary of €91,980 plus expenses. It's quite clever really, he is safe in the knowledge he'll always get elected thanks to his lies and disinformation while knowing that the UK will never leave so he won't be out of a job. So who's really on the "gravy train"?

factotum

Post by factotum » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:31 am

Look, sorry, but I've just never understood this. Cornwall has been de facto part of England for centuries, and as a result it's language, culture and any real distinctiveness (despite all the wishful thinking displayed here) have been almost entirely leached away. In effect we have no significant voice when lumped in with England or the UK as a whole, and are thus happily ignored by Westminster politicians. Now the UK is sort of part of Europe (although not fully, we still need passports to travel etc.), and things are dictated in Brussels (or wherever it is). Germany is now reunited and will soon dominate the continent. Even moderately sized countries like Denmark and Holland will be lucky if they're not all speaking German or English within a generation or two, now that all the barriers are literally down. No more wars of course, no need for them. The Germans can just move in and buy up the smaller countries, just as the English have bought up half of Cornwall, Wales etc. So what hope for Cornwall and any Cornish distinctiveness in Europe? None at all I'd say, politically we'd be ten times more insignificant in an increasingly integrated Europe that we are within the UK. Basically, most people here seem to resent (rightly) being dictated to from London, so how can it be acceptable to be dictated to from even further away? Sorry, I just don't get it.

carrek

Post by carrek » Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:54 pm

factotum wrote:Look, sorry, but I've just never understood this. Cornwall has been de facto part of England for centuries, and as a result it's language, culture and any real distinctiveness (despite all the wishful thinking displayed here) have been almost entirely leached away. In effect we have no significant voice when lumped in with England or the UK as a whole, and are thus happily ignored by Westminster politicians. Now the UK is sort of part of Europe (although not fully, we still need passports to travel etc.), and things are dictated in Brussels (or wherever it is). Germany is now reunited and will soon dominate the continent. Even moderately sized countries like Denmark and Holland will be lucky if they're not all speaking German or English within a generation or two, now that all the barriers are literally down. No more wars of course, no need for them. The Germans can just move in and buy up the smaller countries, just as the English have bought up half of Cornwall, Wales etc. So what hope for Cornwall and any Cornish distinctiveness in Europe? None at all I'd say, politically we'd be ten times more insignificant in an increasingly integrated Europe that we are within the UK. Basically, most people here seem to resent (rightly) being dictated to from London, so how can it be acceptable to be dictated to from even further away? Sorry, I just don't get it.
An ignorant and simplistic response, based on assumption rather than fact.

The EU is not attempting to unify Europe into one culture, language and state. Only morons who read the Daily Express or the Daily Mail believe that.

The EU's motto is "unity in diversity" - EU officials and staff recognise the diversity of identities, cultures and languages within the EU as a strength, not a weakness. The EU has done far more to protect minority languages and cultures than states have.

Within the EU nations can be treated equally, that's why Catalonia and Scotland want independence within the EU. In the EU their countries would be equal to Spain, England, France etc, not just "sub-cultures". From Cornwall, London and Brussels are just as distant places, figuratively speaking, but the difference is that one refuses to recognise us and the other has a more open mind. One city treats us as inferior and and the other would offer a clean slate. I know which one I'd rather send Cornish representatives to.

The idea that the Danes and the Dutch will all be speaking German or English is ridiculous. Daily life in those countries is carried out in Danish and Dutch respectively. The media, education, politics is all in their own languages. Danish and Dutch are official languages of the EU. And that idea that Germany will "soon dominate" shows how little you understand the EU. Get a book and do some reading, then come back.

carrek

Post by carrek » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:23 pm

Kitto wrote:
zennorman2 wrote:If UKIP dropped the prejudical anti foreigner, anti 'PC' anti youth rhetoric that you find in the Trago Mills adverts they may get more votes. Europe is generally bad news.

UKIP isn't anti-foreigner, hence why we have a Spanish MEP, an Indian born MEP, and a Jamaican born policy spokesman. Its most definitely not an anti-youth party either - I'm 22! Europe is not bad news at all, I love Europe, and I've lived, worked, and studied there - the EU is the bad news.
David Campbell Bannerman being born in Mumbai doesn't make him a foreigner. About as much as it makes Cliff Richard a foreigner.

Winston MacKenzie doesn't seem to know what he wants, he's been a member of Labour, the Lib Dems, an Independent, Veritas, the Conservatives, an Independent again, the Unity Party, then finally UKIP. And he is most certainly anti-foreigner, in 2003 standing in a by-election on a platform of "an immediate end to all immigration and asylum".

zennorman2

Post by zennorman2 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:20 pm

Kitto wrote:

Kitto....then read the columns that UKIP publish as part of the Trago Mills adverts. There have been columns moaning about the 'inexperience' of youth, about 'political correctness' and a desire for 1950s England. Many like me on the left can't stand the European superstate but (in my case) I am Cornish and not English; so this kind of prejudicial ring wing little Englander approach would loose my AV number 2 vote!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:48 pm

Kitto - this is a Cornish forum. Could you kindly change your avatar? That flag has historical, cultural and political associations which make it deeply insulting to many Cornish people. Thank you.