Cornish Devolution Now

Topical debate
carrek

Re: Cornish Devolution Now

Post by carrek » Wed Apr 13, 2011 5:33 pm

GrahamHart wrote:
carrek wrote:
GrahamHart wrote:1. Good law is not sentiment carrek.
That's the point, it's not 'good law'.
Without getting into pantomime mode carrek, it is good law.
It's all very well saying these laws are what we need to be asserting, but I don't see anyone suggesting how this is done. If you think that's what will help then you will need a watertight legal case - which particular laws, which acts, how are you interpreting them, what stops them being interpreted any other way, how will it benefit people's everyday lives, etc.

Acting like everything's already fine because "we're not part of England and they just need to recognise that" is incredibly naive. Your way there will need to be a huge legal campaign. My way there will need to be a huge political campaign. I haven't seen any direction or ideas for a legal campaign, just a lot of hot air.

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:32 am

http://www.cornishassembly.org/TheFirstDecadePart1.pdf wrote:Within weeks David Miliband was in Cornwall talking to leading Cornish councillors and officers. He said: ‘When I offer the opportunity to restructure local governance then don’t be afraid to ask for what you really want!’
Everybody in the room thought:!‘The Cornish Assembly – it’s a goer!’
David Whalley was, by then, leader of the Council. When the new initiative materialised, as Miliband said
it would, Mr Whalley decided to not work in partnership with the district councils. Secondly, he did not
heed Miliband’s words but instead asked for a unitary authority. His bid very clearly said that it would
provide the first definite step towards the Cornish Regional Assembly
What an utter c**t Whalley was! I knew he'd been a bit of a p***k but I had no idea it was to this extent!
I'm absolutely exasperated! We were so close to our assembly. What a monumental c**k. I'm so happy we all made him cry, the whining little oik.

Ah Shitzu. I forgot we had admins *** :lol:
Last edited by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla on Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:43 am

Agreed. He did the damage, betrayed the Convention and 50,000 signatories, put Cornwall's progress back by decades, then vanished without trace.

zennorman2

Post by zennorman2 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:44 pm

What happened to the Cornish Convention? Didn't Bert Biscoe get excited when David Milliband appeared to offer David Walley an assembly?

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:55 pm

With Mr. Cameron in No. 10 and quite rightly cutting back on bureaucracy and the inefficient public sector, any ideas of devolution must now be considered very very distant.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:11 pm

David Whalley should have been offered the decent way out. One revolver and one bullet and let him get on with it.

carrek

Post by carrek » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:22 pm

Trevorpen wrote:With Mr. Cameron in No. 10 and quite rightly cutting back on bureaucracy and the inefficient public sector, any ideas of devolution must now be considered very very distant.
"I think Cornish national identity is very powerful – people feel a great affinity with Cornwall. We're going to devolve a lot of power to Cornwall – that will go to the Cornish unitary authority." - David Cameron, 27 November 2010

http://www.thisiscornwall.co.uk/news/Ca ... ticle.html

Your ignorance knows no bounds.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:45 pm

Building up a nice number of supporters so please help this continue! Cornish Devolution Now on Digital Democracy: http://www.digitaldemocracy.org.uk/deba ... hp?id=3850 Support and then send to all the contacts in your email account.