Reevaluating DNA evidence of Cornish origins

Topical debate
Marhak

Re: Reevaluating DNA evidence of Cornish origins

Post by Marhak » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:30 pm

What are your own views on the works of: a) Dr Bryan Sykes (Blood of the Isles) and, b) Stephen Oppenheimer (The Origins of the British)? I find it interesting that neither one mentions the other.

Kaliforni

Post by Kaliforni » Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:47 pm

Marhak wrote:What are your own views on the works of: a) Dr Bryan Sykes (Blood of the Isles) and, b) Stephen Oppenheimer (The Origins of the British)? I find it interesting that neither one mentions the other.
Both of those books are outdated, although the data they refer to can still be useful. My criticism of Oppenheimer is pretty much taken care of in the first post of this thread. He made too many assumptions about Y-DNA R1b in particular. So, although we can use Oppenheimer's data, we shouldn't take his conclusions too seriously. He also has some odd opinions about the English language that may have influenced his interpretation. I'm less familiar with Sykes to be honest, but IIRC he was more cautious in drawing conclusions.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:02 am

The reason I'm asking about dates is that if significant inward migration can be tied to the mid-late Neolithic and the northward spread of megalith building, then an awful lot of questions would be answered. Koch and Waddell convincingly argue that Celtic languages developed from Indo-European along the Atlantic coasts of Europe at around that time, also spreading northward as a common language of the Atlantic sea-trading routes. If the three elements - megaliths, migration, language spread - can be tied together, then a very definite picture emerges.

Gweltas

Post by Gweltas » Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:37 pm

So far I have only ever seen studies on the male Y chromasome. Why is that ? Surely a study of the female mitochondria should go hand in hand with a Y chromasome study ? Perhaps there already is one that I haven't heard of ?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:21 pm

I think you'll find the current projects are thorough - they've certainly been running for a fair while - and are looking at both genders. Sykes, in 'Blood of the Isles' features both.