Who is to blame for its Decline?

Topical debate
sammy

Who is to blame for its Decline?

Post by sammy » Thu Sep 01, 2011 12:39 pm

This once robust and vibrant forum seems no more, why?

Nige999

Re: Who is to blame for its Decline?

Post by Nige999 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 1:54 pm

In my opinion, and this is only MY opinion:

People like Trevorpen, this person seems to have set himself a personal challenge to mention the word "County" in his emails as many times as possible. Him, and others, seem to spend their entire life monitoring this site so they can give us the "benefits" of their personal view literally within seconds of posting being made that even have the faintest tinge of any pro Cornish relevance in them. Despite it being obvious that their personal agendas are not relevant to this site they just have to stamp on any spark of "Cornishness" that briefly flickers into life. I feel their posts are unwelcome and do not contribute anything positive to reasonable and mature discussions between people who happen to be proud of their heritage and place of birth.

Said postings winding everyone up, causing sensible threads to disintegrate into slanging matches or worse. This is the intention of these saddos, and if we just totally ignored their ramblings they would probably just get fed up and disappear. I have responded to them in the past, but it does no good so now I intend to ignore them.

Of the remainder of us, there are some obvious Cornish patriots on here, but sometimes one of more these people will start of on their own agendas, which even though well intentioned, can become tedious. I do not want to read about how someone hates the Tory/Labour/Liberal parties, except where it directly and obviously affects the land I love or my Cornish brothers and sisters.

I find it annoying that there seems to be a tedious need to constantly declare how inclusive the Cornish are, of course we are FFS - I had a Jamaican great uncle, he married my Cornish great Aunt. I had no trouble with that as a kid and have no trouble having work colleagues of all races, sexual orientation and faiths now, several of which I consider as dear friends.

But the thing that depresses and upsets me most is the apparent lack of direction regarding Cornish issues. Ireland could do it, Scotland and Wales are doing it - even the Bretons are achieving recognition in the French state. It would be a great tragedy if we let our culture and uniqueness be extinguished by apathy - and some future historian answers the question "What happened to the Cornish" with "They just couldn't be bothered".

Maybe I am just being a pessimist but the signs don't look good. Please correct me if I am wrong.

kbcl1

Post by kbcl1 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 2:21 pm

All sorts of forums are quiet and falling away. They have been replaced by Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, Chatrooms, video links etc etc and there are even advances on those. Forums were ok once but have not kept up. Facebook is very active and Twitter too. Even This Is Cornwall has about 8 or 10 users and they are there to mock anything.
The Recognition Report has been sent up to London, Cornish language funded and more and more fed up with politics and politicians - not even bothering to vote or to register to vote.

carrek

Post by carrek » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:28 pm

The Cornish fight is still being fought. Just not here anymore.

Nige999

Post by Nige999 » Thu Sep 01, 2011 4:35 pm

The Cornish fight is still being fought. Just not here anymore.
That is what I was hoping to hear.

Best wishes to those involved.

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:00 pm

kbcl1 wrote:All sorts of forums are quiet and falling away. They have been replaced by Facebook, Twitter, You Tube, Chat-rooms, video links etc etc and there are even advances on those. Forums were ok once but have not kept up. Facebook is very active and Twitter too. Even This Is Cornwall has about 8 or 10 users and they are there to mock anything.
The Recognition Report has been sent up to London, Cornish language funded and more and more fed up with politics and politicians - not even bothering to vote or to register to vote.
Facebook, Twitter, etc, are all well and good, but are simply a case of preaching to the converted. They are brilliant if all you wish is a mutual appreciation society, if you wish to actually get the word across to those members of the public that are unaware of the issues, or undecided, then they are, quite frankly, useless. It is forums such as this one that can, if allowed, spread the word.

There have been a few "people" who have tried to "close down" this forum, so far, they have failed (some of you would be surprised to hear who some of those "people" were/are). Other fora, chat-rooms, etc, have been made to close, or made unusable by those who seem to wish to follow their own agenda, those for whom free speech is something that should be controlled, preferably by themselves. It is true to say that one of the main methods that these "people" employ in their "work" is that of sock puppetry. We have all seen the effects that clever sock puppet manipulation can achieve, it created havoc on the TIC sites.

There are users of sock puppets that post, have posted, here, I wonder if any of them have the courage to admit to such use, and perhaps they could provide us with an explanation as to why, and what they hoped to achieve.

Facebook and Twitter are as good as closed shops, and like all closed shops, without external input, they fade and die. If we wish to gain anything for Cornwall, we need to not hide in such closed shops, but come out into the light, and converse with those who may well disagree with us, for if we do not the cause will always remain a minority issue.
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:01 pm

Believe me, NIge - the fight has not abated one jot. Save Penwith Moors is still fighting Natural "England", and now that our leading members have been shamelessly libelled in a Cornwall Council/"English" Heriitage publication, the fight has actually escalated. Hopefully our former regulars will return to this site, but I fear it may degenerate again when the temporarily banned trolls also return. The moderators must be on their guard to ensure that these hateful little bastards do NOT win.

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:03 pm

sammy wrote:This once robust and vibrant forum seems no more, why?
As stated above

ATACK OF THE SOCK PUPPETS

Showing at a computer screen near you......NOW.
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:07 pm

Marhak wrote:The moderators must be on their guard to ensure that these hateful little bastards do NOT win.
We do our best, the problem lies in identifying exactly who they are, in some cases, you would be very surprised to learn who actually posts under which, multiple, user-names.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Thu Sep 01, 2011 8:28 pm

We do our best, the problem lies in identifying exactly who they are, in some cases, you would be very surprised to learn who actually posts under which, multiple, user-names.
Come on, tell us then. Who uses sock puppets and who wanted the forum closed?

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Thu Sep 01, 2011 9:45 pm

Fulub-le-Breton wrote:
Come on, tell us then. Who uses sock puppets and who wanted the forum closed?
I am sure that there are those who can have a good guess at those identities.

As for my "naming and shaming", I would prefer to wait, for now, to see if those "people" have the courage to come clean, and perhaps explain their reasons. Perhaps they have some master-plan they are working to, that I am unaware of, in order to achieve some brilliant outcome, that I am as yet unable to see.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:26 am

There have been some investigations and identifications of trolls on other sites, too, Paddy. Your wording seems to hint of "enemies within", which would be extremely sad, if true. Perhaps they've been promised an OBE by our dear Duke.

KernowBysVyken

Post by KernowBysVyken » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:27 am

Just to state my position - I'm not one of the bleddy sock muppets.

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:35 am

Marhak wrote:There have been some investigations and identifications of trolls on other sites, too, Paddy. Your wording seems to hint of "enemies within", which would be extremely sad, if true. Perhaps they've been promised an OBE by our dear Duke.
You'd be surprised Marhak.

I wait to see if "those" involved have the courage to admit it.