Planning Future Cornwall - Preferred Approach for a Core Str

Topical debate
Marhak

Re: Planning Future Cornwall - Preferred Approach for a Core

Post by Marhak » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:51 pm

The Duke is FAR more important than those of us who actually contribute something to this society. He simply takes.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:12 pm

Just for the record, the following Councillors voted FOR Waitrose and the Duke:

Ellis, Greenslade, Varney, Wallis, Wood, Mann, Fitter, Flashman, Pugh, Stoneman, Glenton-Brown.

These Councillors voted AGAINST:

Nolan, Lewarne, Bull, Pearce, Plummer, Pascoe, May, Hatton.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sat Mar 10, 2012 5:34 pm

Well, well...

The same names seem to come up again and again, in their support of unsustainable development around Truro, and against the majority of Truronians, both old and new.

One name in particular is interesting: Cllr Varney, the racist, homophobic Londoner with a shady history of U-turns on big development decisions; and he's never even lived in Truro, so what bloody right he take the dirty gold, which will cost our children dear, in terms of future quality of life issues.

I remember well when Cllr Varney, as a penniless Falmouth councillor, opposing a major large new development in particular, made a sudden over-night U-turn, after which he quickly moved to a bigger home, in a nicer part of Falmouth, living very comfortably off the earnings of a grateful developer. It's still makes people in Falmouth laugh, the openness with which Varney accepted the bribe.

Now the c**t is still taking the money to wreck our market town. Well I hope he and the other cosy councillors (Greenslade hiding away nicely on Roseland, from the havoc he unleashes onto us Truronians), presumably hoping for a gold star from Duke BigEars, aka Prince Charlie, fall on their swords, when it comes to re-election time...

I strongly believe that what goes around, comes around, and these 11 disciples of destruction will surely pay dearly for worshipping the green-eyed monster and his greenback.... One day...

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:22 pm

You sure he's a Londoner? I remember him from Falmouth when I was about 11 or 12. The Varneys lived down at Swanvale and that nose is a family giveaway. I remember Stephen Eva, too - I was best buddies with his older brother Mike.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:39 pm

Yeah, moved down from London bout 30 years ago. I knew 'is three step-daughters

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:27 pm

What have Councillor Varney, Waitrose and Duke of Cornwall got in common?

Lots of cash to be made from shady deals.

You can tell none of the above have ever lived in or near Truro; nor do they much care about the fate of its residents, so long as their pockets keep filling with Cornish gold....

And all 3 are used to over-development and road congestion, so to put another super-market, 100s more unaffordable homes and a park&ride bang in the middle of a huge twice-a-day traffic jam is really not a big concern to them.

If it's green and makes me loads of cash, build, build, build...

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:41 am

Any news on the axis of evil, Prince Charles-Waitrose-Varney&Co?!

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sat Apr 28, 2012 11:24 pm

Whilst talking to a planning consultant (of 20 years) the other day (Cornwall council planning, in a previous life), he said, when quizzed as to the lunacy of a park-and-ride, huge development & supermarket at the top of Tregolls road (Eastern Development), it's probably not the muscle-flexing of Prince Charles' Duchy of Cornwall 'company', nor the 'usual' corrupt way of the developer, but actually an old obsession by some councillors to have a park and ride to the East of Truro, to complement the one at the Western gate (Threemilestone).

The fact that we've moved from horse and cart to the fuel-powered car since this obsession began, or that there's now massive developments in and around Tregolls Farm, is neither here not there... Apparently...

This plan is sheer lunacy, and, should it go ahead, will be viewed as such by future generations... No Richard Landers on the current council, I'm afraid. Mostly just the likes of Mike 'I like cash' Varney and badly-informed wimps...

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Wed May 23, 2012 4:23 am

Oh what joy!!

We have Charlie boy's pet project approved, for a new modern village at the top of Treliske Road, in the middle of a near permanent traffic jam, by one single vote! How anybody actually reaches a grid-locked park-and-ride is an issue I'm sure has been carefully planned.

On the other side of town, the much talked about 10,000-seater stadium for Cornwall (ostensibly to house Truro City FC & Pirates RFC fans, with average gates of 400 & 1500, respectively) has been dropped in favour of a brand new town to rival Threemilestone (could be the start of a beautiful thing, rivalled only by the Falmouth-Penryn & Re'Druth-Camborne annual derbies!).

One mad cap project replaces another. If these events happened in a TV comedy show, they'd be funny, but sadly for us, it's the 21st century reality for Truronians:
(some) Corrupt councillors, mentally impaired planners, gold-rush style developers with complete control over all planning issues, and a feudal, deluded Prince Charles Company (un)Ltd, probably personally totally unaware of the permanent damage his estate is causing, but probably doesn't care anyway, so long as it keeps the millions rolling in. That way doesn't have to keep asking mummy (QEII) for pocket money to buy new hand bags for the Duchess of Cornwall...

You couldn't make it up....

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed May 23, 2012 1:07 pm

Mentally impaired planners....Without a word of a lie, I have now been asked, on three different applications, for Flood Risk Assessments when, in each case, the proposal was to build ON TOP OF existing floors. Two were first floor extensions; the last was merely glassing in a balcony area on a block of flats, FORTY FEET above the beach at St Ives!

On the last one, I couldn't resist. I write the Flood Risk assessment, giving chapter and verse on the worst case scenario what is likely to happen when the volcano of Cumbre Vieja on La Palma next erupts, with the likelihood of the side of the island falling off into deep ocean. That the east coast of the USA will experience a series of tsunamis 120 feet high (the recent two: Indonesia and Japan, were a mere 30 feet), travelling at 600mph. Mount's Bay will be hit by 50-footers, but Porthmeor Beach, St Ives is unlikely to experience anything more than a 3-foot surge.

To be fair, I got an e-mail back from one of the more sensible managers saying "We're still laughing".

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Wed May 23, 2012 9:30 pm

Problem with planners is, they're caught in a kind of no-man's land, damned if you do, damned if you don't, kind of situation, so in the end, they're so busy watching over their shoulder, as well as trying to impress (employer, client, prospective private employer, Duchy government, press, council, etc...), they take their eyes of the ball and end up pleasing nobody and leaving a huge mess to clear up. The smart ones are those that take the money, and to hell with everyone, because someone else, the council, the tax payer, or some other poor fool will have to pick up the pieces...
They're a lost cause and just used and abused by the highest 'bidders'... The real arguments don't matter anymore, sadly...

Ludgvan

Post by Ludgvan » Sun May 27, 2012 11:14 am

Cornwall Develpment Company and Cornwall Council are stepping up the development agenda and have created the new (£75k) post of a 'Director of Development'. This is being advertised at the moment:

"Delivering a dynamic economic growth strategy backed by millions of pounds and focussed effort from the public and private sector – Cornwall is creating a climate for success.

Cornwall is in an excellent position to move forward, with a strong unitary authority that is the 2nd biggest in the country and European funding to stimulate growth in the economy. You’ll help shape the landscape here, and that’s exactly what’s different about us – in more ways than one. A role in Cornwall will bring you closer to an incredible natural environment, but you’ll find the economic landscape is different here too. We’re keen to innovate, so we’ll actively encourage your fresh ideas.

Cornwall Development Company is an economic development company, arms length from Cornwall Council, delivering on behalf of a range of stakeholders. We are designed to deliver a bespoke business facing service and to deliver the economic vision and strategy for Cornwall.

With a turnover of c£13m and a potential delivery programme of £290m over the next three years, 2012-13 sees CDC broadening its responsibilities within economic development. Delivery programmes include InvestinCornwall, stimulating inward investment for the county, and Superfast Cornwall – the £132m superfast broadband roll out, making Cornwall one of the best connected locations in the world.

This new and high profile role is responsible for leading the delivery of a number of development programmes. You will be operating at a senior level as a member of the Executive Team, requiring the ability to produce innovative, evidenced based solutions to drive economic, physical and social regeneration within Cornwall and demonstrating a high level of commercial awareness and feel for complex business issues. You will also be responsible for ensuring the ‘physical place shaping’ agenda in Cornwall is fully aligned with skills and business support and for driving the delivery of a ‘Low carbon’ economy in Cornwall in accordance with shareholder, stakeholder and business aspirations.

To succeed you will need an extensive track record of successful delivery and facilitation of significant development projects covering the appraisal of development options, testing project viability and negotiating and completing contracts, joints ventures and funding agreements for complex developments.

You’ll maximise development opportunities whilst limiting risks. You will need experience of managing, motivating and supporting complex multi disciplinary and consultant teams together with maintaining a focus on an ambitious delivery plan whilst leading a programme of change. In return we offer an innovative and pioneering economic agenda and the opportunity to lead and shape the economic development of Cornwall.

With its stunning landscapes, rich cultural heritage and pioneering economic past, present and future, Cornwall is a unique place to live and work."

http://www.gatenbysanderson.com/job/dir ... e=GatenbyS

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sun May 27, 2012 8:29 pm

Another over-paid white-collar, bull-shit merchant who can help continue the assimilation & standardisation of meek & mellow Cornwall into another home counties shire. Oh how delightful...

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:39 am

When will people in Truro/Cornwall wake up to the reality that build, build, build on prime greenfield land, field after field, after field, by large out of town/up country building firms, is not only a failed get-me-out-of-recession-quick fix, but will also scar the area, sociologically, culturally, politically, environmentally and probably financially, for generations to come?

Whoever you speak to, in the streets, pubs, parties, parks, shops of Truro, old or young, local or settler, white or blue collar, left wing or right, there seems to be a general consensus that the current rate of development around Truro is completely unsustainable.

So who is pushing through - and getting - these plans passed? And we call Russia, Indonesia & Nigeria corrupt. My God let's start looking a little closer to home. I really don't think Jack Harvey would qualify for membership of the dodgy councillors/planners' pro-corruption body....

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:58 am

I think we can take it as a given that no Cornish candidate for that position will even be considered (and, yes, I can immediately think of someone who'd be eminently qualified/experienced). So, that's yet another Cornish job and Cornish house less for the Cornish people.