Duchy, Stannary and the Veto!

Topical debate
Rosko

Re: Duchy, Stannary and the Veto!

Post by Rosko » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:16 pm

Yes you're quite right about that other obsessive and irrational Peter Baloney, although his latest outburst was directed at the monarchy, the English parliament and the press, no less, more than it was at the Cornish!!
He even had some level of sympathy for that far, far away land called Scotland.
Mahoney-Baloney seems to have some common ground with the Cornish nationalists then! Who would've believed it, just a weeks ago?!!
One pasty too many, perhaps??

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Jan 22, 2012 6:22 pm

Marhak wrote:There's another one at Hayle called Peter Mahoney. Like Morse, his rabidly anti-Cornish letters never fail to get printed.
His surname resembles a certain inelegant colloquialism in the Irish language. I FORBID you all from referring to him as Peadar Póg Mo Thóin. That's an order. Stop sniggering, that man at the back, Yes, you, the one with the horse. See me afterwards, Your round.
Last edited by Anselm on Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

visitor

Post by visitor » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:04 pm

Rosko wrote: Had we had a fraction of the financial hammer the crown used against Angarrack in court, we may not be having this conversation...
I doubt very much the money would make any difference, "Duchy, Stannary and the Veto" isn't it a shame with all the will that you have that it is not going change Cornwall, it will continue to exist as it is now and seen by the largest majority, as a County of England much as this hurts a few. The voters don't seem to keen on backing the ideas posted here on this site, wouldn't it be a good time to take stock and change course?

How many live in Cornwall, and who was impressed by the turn out? Defending the border doesn't seem popular, why?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... VpQ7n92k#!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:36 pm

You obviously live in a different universe to the rest of us. Go back to TIC land.

beniastrolab

Post by beniastrolab » Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:27 pm

visitor wrote: The voters don't seem to keen on backing the ideas posted here on this site, wouldn't it be a good time to take stock and change course?
Whilst it was a few years ago...50,000 signatories seem to disagree with you visitor...

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:12 pm

I completely disagree with you, visitor.

I'm sorry, but with respect, money has plenty to do with things, and if you think that money in no way drives ideology, around this world, then you are sorely naive.

I repeat, had angarrack had the opportunity to legally counter the pathetic non-arguments thrown at him, in the high court, we'd be in a very different situation today.
But with a lack of funds and the (completely corrupted) judge in charge threatening huge costs on him, he was indeed forced to abandon the case.
If it was such a non-case, as you seem to suggest, why then, quite apart from anything else, did a leading and highly successful local law firm agree to provide the initial legal work FOR FREE, on the back of Angarrack having not just one good leg to stand on, but legally and constitutionally, a rock solid case.
It failed because of one bent judge, who, for whatever reasons, and whether or not our dear Duke BigEars's advisors got to him, decided to rule in favour of the other side, despite zero preparation, zero arguments and an embarrassing performance by their court representative. After no deliberation by the judge (if you can call him that!), he ruled against Angarrack, reading from a pre-written statement!!!!! Talk of mother of all stitch-ups...

Yes my friend, money has everything to do with it...

As for your other point, the reason apathy rules ok in Cornwall is mainly because most people are too busy trying to make an honest living to support their families. That and because there seems to be a proliferation of ignorant half-wits like TrevorPen, he'll bent on undermining the release of genuine historical fact, either because they have a serious issue, ie chip on their shoulder, with the Cornish, or perhaps they ate paid to do so (OMG!! Not a conspiracy, surely?!!), or perhaps because they have simply been so badly brainwashed, combined with too much time on their hands...
Or they could just be randomly obnoxious, argumentative divs, who've ventured this site by accident...

visitor

Post by visitor » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:24 pm

beniastrolab wrote:Whilst it was a few years ago...50,000 signatories seem to disagree with you visitor...
TEN YEARS AGO

It never went anywhere and I even signed it, so I know how the signatures had been collected. If I could remove my name I would. And also see the many attempts to whip up support online over the last few years, from what I can see every time it is unsuccessful. Blame everything and anything but don't blame the message.
Rosko
I'm sorry, but with respect, money has plenty to do with things, and if you think that money in no way drives ideology, around this world, then you are sorely naive.
'It didn't work because you didn't have enough money', if you believe this fine. But I'll ask you this question just what would be achieved if you had enough money in the courts? I really don't believe that much, do you?

On the internet all we see is the many failed attempts, is the plan of action working? Lots of writings, lots of dreaming, I don't think anything will really change, it hasn't so far why would it be any different in a few years time.

Why did so few "Cornish" protest?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-jF5oQ4 ... re=related
Last edited by visitor on Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Jan 23, 2012 9:54 pm

So few? Written representations don't go in front of cameras, and there have been tons of them. You're judging a small part of the picture only.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:53 pm

Can you please therefore explain to us all, visitor, why you signed the petition? Please provide an honest answer to the thousands of those others that signed, as well as those that may have wanted to, but didn't or couldn't. If you're not now being honest with yourself, at least try to be honest with us, so that we can try to understand your particular reasons for signing, and for now wishing you hadn't. Who knows, perhaps once we've heard your story, some of us might also wish we hadn't...

As for the money, visitor, you are plainly wrong and, in my view, showing incredible naivety, as I mentioned earlier.

Money makes money, and money drives war, because with money, you have power, and with power, you have control.

Control to foist upon us, for year after year, decade after decade, century after century a 'National' curriculum/ideology that tells us, our kids, that the world started when the Romans conquered the West, and civilised those near-ape men in Britain; they were followed by well meaning Anglo-saxons who helped clear any rubbish left behind by the Romans, and in turn, the Normans finished our education. These were followed by the likes of the great Henry VIII, QE1 and Cromwell's parliament, which all the paved the way for a strong, worthy, benevolent, global-minded Britain which single-handedly taught the Boers and the Germans, among many others, a good lesson in decency and civility.

What utter bullshite!

Even if the crap is interspersed by the odd historical fact, 90% is complete one-sided fabrication, brought about because 'to the victor, the spoils' and the right to write his own glossy version of events, or quite aptly, his-story.

What happened - and what's wrong with - thousands of years of tin and copper trade, Glasney and St Michael's Mount, Cornish inventors and miners, explorers and adventurers, sailors and globe-trotters? What happened to the history/language of our forebears, or the history of theatre, art and plays in Cornwall?

It's all air-brushed out of "National' schemes and learning, so that we all conform and meekly follow the leader, in our case, a very wealthy one, Duke BigEars, with his corrupt government, plundering his estate-cum-Duchy, to support his lavish Louis XIV-like life-style, and that of his cronies and lackeys, all the while, sprouting messages of kindness, green-ness and bloody bullshit-ness... How can he sleep at night, knowing many former hard-working miners now queue at soup kitchen, in Camborne or Re'Druth, once the proud 'centre' of the earth, yet still part of his wealthy fiefdom? Power & money, visitor, an intoxicating cocktail...

Where were Plaid Cymru and the SNP just 20 years ago? Nowhere. But they kept trying and kept trying, not without a lot of pain, sweat and a little financial help from the likes of Holywood icon, Sean Connery, to get elected into the Westminster parliament. Who would have thought, just 20 short years ago, that Wales would have its own Assembly, and that Scotland would be drafting the wording for a referendum on full independence? Meanwhile, Cameron has the cheek to lecture the Argentinians, and the world, about colonialism...

The Falkland islanders should rightly determine who rules them, as the Scots, the Welsh and the Cornish. In fact, of all of these, the Cornish have the greater historical right, given their constitutional status, but who knows about this, and who uses it to their massive financial advantage (enter Prince Charles, once more). Had Angarrack been able to, allowed even, to have his full day in court, a lot more people might be aware of these rather massive issues.

So please don't go on about money having nothing to do with it. Au contraire, my visitor friend, it has everything to do with it. For the same reason as the 'Allies' invaded oil rich Iraq, but not Zimbabwe, Libya, but not Syria, in the name of injustice. 

Money makes the world go round, as the old adage says, and oh how very, very true, sadly.

I've been very lucky, and have a beautiful Cornish wife and many 'ansum Cornish kids, and they keep me busy enough at work to house and feed them, that I have no time to turn up to demos, political meetings and so on, but I'll be damned if they don't grow up as proud Cornish lads and Cornish maids, with some knowledge of their own history, language, customs and heritage.

What they do with it is up to them, but you are failing your own self, if you don't at least try to negate the bullshit practically drowning us daily in our schools, newspapers, radios and TV sets, let alone via the new (social) media, that seem to penetrate every facet of our modern lives.

At a time when we are told that kids learning a second language is more than useful, it's essential, I can't see why we should choose French or German, when Mandarin is the new - and most widely spoken, btw - business language, for decades to come, if not longer. Or why they shouldn't have a completely different, ie. non Latin-based, language in their arsenal, just as a growing number of Welsh, Irish and Scots have, and learn the language of their fore-fathers, Cornish. This would certainly look more interesting to a University admissions tutor, in these highly competitive times... Try doing business in barcelona using Spanish. If you're foreign, they may give you a little extra time to learn Catalan, otherwise, go back to Spain, as they say In Cataluna. Part of Spain, part of Europe, but proud Catalans, and their language is not even as old or as different to French/Spanish as Cornish is to English.

On a different thread, the recent saga at Cornish Pirates was discussed. This is quite typical of the current climate of anti-Cornishness we seem to live in, these days. Dickie Evans is a proud Penzans lad, as well as a very proud Cornishman. You only have to hear him, just the one time, when he hosts his sponsors on match day. He's also an extremely successful businessman - you have to be, if you decide to back a sports team / bottomless pit - and when I saw that he employed all those Kiwis, Welshmen, Englishmen, Fijians, South Africans and others in the team, I thought, well done, for picking the best around (at this level), to get a Cornish team back where it belongs, towards the top of British rugby (and despite the wages, boy are those players proud to represent a Cornish side). When he employed a Yorkshireman as CEO, I thought, this bloke must be good, to represent/run Dickie's dream team. And then, the same CEO, a very professional, well remunerated and experienced senior executive, decides to write to a life-long supporter, debenture holder and proud Cornishman, that his views are extreme and that he's no longer welcome at the home of Pirates rugby! Wow!!
Brave or stupid?!!
I'm not sure how this CEO can even look Dickie, or half the supporters, in the eye... Crass to say the least.

But why this reaction from many? Exactly because our nationality is questioned all the time, at best, and erased by many, at worst.

Yes I'm a Cornish nationalist, and am proud of the fact that I am both Cornish and believe in the Cornish Nation. Is that so bad? Some of my very closest friends, from University days, are North and South Londoners (who think England IS London!!), Mancunians and home county dwellers (Middlesex and Hertfordshire), and although they find it a little strange (until meeting me, they'd obviously not been exposed to too much factual information about Kernow and it's people, other than the holiday and accent bits!) they do nonetheless respect the fact that I am Cornish and not English, as well as respect this land whenever they visit. I'm as English as I am Danish, American, French or German.

And again, money has much to do with everything we do, or are allowed to do, as it has always been.... and is the reason why, whenever I have a little spare in my pocket - not as often as I'd like - it'll go to one or other of the Cornish groups, whether the language school, MK, or another cultural group out there, fighting to keep us, as a proud indigenous group, alive.

But believe me when I tell you this, visitor, I will keep screaming from the roof tops, and sponsoring cultural, linguistic and political groups, until the day I die, because I'm Cornish, a Briton (geographically) and European (also geographically, or at least, last time I looked!), but NOT English, despite many commonalities. And according to my doc, this (my departing) shouldn't be for a few decades, all things being equal (or just touch wood)...

Kernow Bys Vyken, visitor, Onan hag Ol

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:43 pm

Hag oll, hag oll ... bys vikken!
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

capten

Post by capten » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:24 pm

Excellent post, Rosko.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:32 am

Meur ras, Cap, Meur ras.
Onan gag oll!
Rosko

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:27 am

Well put, pard!

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:04 pm

Very good letter in West Briton this week, by Kevin Philpott of Helston, outlining Cornwall's constitutional and legal position, in a nut shell....!!

visitor

Post by visitor » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:05 pm

Can you please therefore explain to us all, visitor, why you signed the petition? Please provide an honest answer to the thousands of those others that signed,
I was sat in a small flat and was asked to sign along with others, we had no information just a, "hey could you sign this, we're trying to get as many signatures as we can for a Cornish Assembly' that is how you got many of the 50,000 signatures, much of it was signed involuntary.
As for the money, visitor, you are plainly wrong and, in my view, showing incredible naivety, as I mentioned earlier.
How much money would you need, you all wave a petition of 50,000 claiming support, yet you are unable to raise any money over 10 years, I don't get it, this is a good point and it is outlining your paradox.

so when I say "what would be achieved if you had enough money in the courts?" just what? This is very hard to work out, I can't see what you are attempting to achieve? Cornwall like the rest of the UK is supporting democracy or its principles. That is the way it is now,
'National' curriculum/ideology that tells us
It tells us many things, like there are still celts in Cornwall and Wales, this is taught at primary schools in places like Kent.

We all know history is a very broad subject and when you take it seriously you find so much more that isn't written. Take Richard Trevithick anyone who knows about this will believe he invented the steam locomotive but that is not the case, however, it is easy to have a ago at history and the "National' curriculum/ideology" god how have people from the west indies coped!

There is hope, this could be a way forward:

http://www.education.gov.uk/schools/lea ... reeschools
the Cornish have the greater historical right, given their constitutional status,
You know it more than I do, you don't have enough support, it is that simple, the Mebyon Kernow people know it even more than us and attempt to bring in everyone in Cornwall, sadly it shows that it is not really backed by the people.
On a different thread, the recent saga at Cornish Pirates was discussed.
"saga"