Duchy, Stannary and the Veto!

Topical debate
visitor

Re: Duchy, Stannary and the Veto!

Post by visitor » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:26 pm

Stephen Richardson wrote:.
There is a small team of people working on the website but we do not have the money to pay someone, like the Westminster parties do, and the volunteers have to work extremely hard first to learn the skills that they need before they can go on to apply them in constructing a workable website.
While many people as I am sure you'll know have questioned this lack of a fully working site you have actually communicated here the reason, so there you go, why not post this clarifying statement up on the website as it is good to publicise such a situation, it may even help win some much needed support!
This is the challenge that faces MK - to communicate our message in a way that is more releveant to the spectrum of issues in people's minds when they vote.
It has to be one of the weak points about MK in my book.
Just as important (and probably of more relevance to voters) is whether an Assembly would be a social and economic benefit for the people of Cornwall.

Naturally, I believe it would. I believe that the Westminster parties are more interested in the well-being of themselves (personally), London, and the South East of England, than they are in any part of the UK. I also believe that people who live and work in Cornwall are best placed to address the particular needs that Cornwall has and that a 'one size fits all' Westminster policy is not necessarily the best thing for Cornwall.
The details are lacking I can't see how you would make it better, but what would you do? what is that plan? What is so wrong with the economic situation now? Again this is not easily available information is it?

For me Cornwall is pretty good at the moment there is a lot happening and fast we don't have that many issues apart from the rubbish talk about housing problems and lack of jobs. The housing thing has aways and will always be a political issue but however you view it. They still keep building houses while many complain about the lack, they still keep selling houses while people complain at the cost. The jobs thing is odd and people sitting on benefit due to fact they would lose out if they went to work is a big problem, but how do the many and I welcome them Polish people find the work while many locals are happy to sit and complain about the lack of work?

Despite what anyone believes about me I'll say this if the people want the Cornish Nation idea great, but don't force it on people, peoples rights should be respected and we didn't hear anything from MK regarding the discussing way a school was slander on this website, does it matter to you Stephen Richardson? I fear this kind of mindset to be the "thorn in your Side" although this was at an extreme end of things it highlights a problem of why many people don't trust MK/Cornish movement.
Last edited by visitor on Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

visitor

Post by visitor » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:34 pm

factotum wrote:How is one supposed to become informed other than be asking questions of those who claim to know the answers? How is one supposed to start a debate, other than by raising issues and seeing the responses? For instance how about listing some concrete initiatives that would motivate young adults to see things from a Cornish perspective. Why not give or give links to some answers that I, Visitor, and all the silent lurkers that pass through, can see and be inspired by. You achieve nothing by objecting to our asking, you simply come over as defensive, which might lead anyone to conclude that you really have no answers. I really do hope that isn't the case.
This post highlights some good points, and yet met with defensive reply's, hardly helpful to anyone.

factotum

Post by factotum » Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:37 pm

The fact that MK appear to have no on-line presence is to say the least very disappointing. They must have some documentation in digital form and it's hardly rocked science to wrap a few html tags around it. Indeed at a pinch you can put a plain-text document on-line. It wouldn't win any prizes for stylish websites, but actually too much fancy style can put people off. Also given that this board has been around a few years now and is well known, its a ready-made platform for them.

OK, I'm not a politician, my involvement has been with the language, not so much over the last couple of years since the government moved in and strangled it. Anyway I've met a lot of MK people over the years, and the impression I got from the ones I know was that they all joined up 20-30 years ago have have sort of been growing old together ever since. That might explain why they've nobody capable of throwing a website together. Maybe its time for a new generation to start a new initiative of some description. Also someone criticised English nats. Should we not be forming an alliance of mutual respect with them? After all the English have as much right to get their country back as do the Scots, Welsh and Cornish.

Another point is that when you look at the historical/constitutional positions of the various bits of the UK, Wales has come from a far weaker position legally than Cornwall. Wales was totally conquered, annexed and became legally part of England in every way. It's separation is recent, the first sign probably being the disestablishment of the CofE in Wales sometime in the C19th. But most of the specially Welsh legislation etc. dates from the past 50 years or so. Now the English are trying to put it about that Scotland was also annexed, which is not the case, the union was by treaty between two independent sovreign nations, a sort of 'marriage', and Scotlands law, constitution and identity were by no means submerged in England's. Now folks here tell us that exactly the same is true, de jure, for Cornwall. So shouldn't we somehow be feeding off the way the constitutional debate is being opened up. Snatching up this and that juicy tit-bit that Westminster is forced to admit to, drawing parallels, constantly pointing out that Cornwall has less right to be treated as part of England that Wales has? This may be your last chance for who knows, generations??

visitor

Post by visitor » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:06 am

factotum,
it's hardly rocked science to wrap a few html tags around it. Indeed at a pinch you can put a plain-text document on-line. It wouldn't win any prizes for stylish websites,
Yes it is a lame attempt to lessen the real reason why, lets break this down,
Stephen Richardson
There is a small team of people working on the website
You can build a website using any of the many free wysiwyg web editors, it is not at all difficult!
Stephen Richardson
But we do not have the money to pay someone, like the Westminster parties do,
What cost? The domain which you already have, no cost and some web space which you appear to already have also,
Stephen Richardson
and the volunteers have to work extremely hard first to learn the skills that they need before they can go on to apply them in constructing a workable website.
I run many a website the updating and building is simple,

I am mistaken, why? there has already been much editing already done on the site, so what is the deal? No lies the people that elected you may want to know?

I am thinking you can't even run a basic website why would anyone trust you running Cornwall, I think Stephen Richardson is talking rubbish. There are more holes in this story than a sieve!

Stephen Richardson

Post by Stephen Richardson » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:50 pm

Thank you visitor - you have certainly made your agenda clear.

I'm sorry you seem to think that I am lying or making up fairy tales.

I am glad that you are clearly in a fortunate enough position to believe that Cornwall is doing well. In many respects I agree. There is massive potential in Cornwall and there are many things that are psoitive. What is desperately needed is politicians who will put Cornwall first in order to realise the potential and build on the positives.

I suspect that we are reaching the point in this debate where you simply continue to cycle round the tired old anti-MK, anti-nationalist arguments.

If you have any positive, innovative ideas for taking Cornwall forward then I would love to hear them.
When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:55 pm

Visitor, that's a very poor argument.
Just because you are, allegedly, highly computer literate, know the difference between html and wysiwyg etc, does not mean that everyone else is as comfortable, or as competent, with such things as yourself.
It is also the case that this, the MK website, is the "Internet face" of a political party. The world of politics being what it is these days, MK have to be careful to make sure that, not only, does the textual content say exactly what they want it to say, in the correct order of priorities, but also that it looks Professional, Individual, and appealing. A thrown together website using one of the free templates and tools to be found on the web, would be instantly noticeable, instantly mocked, and used to completely ignore the message anyway.
The other thing to realise is that websites are only useful to those who already have an interest in the subject, they are not that useful in raising that interest in the first place. Which is where I would be advising MK to expend it's energies in the first place, not that it is my job to advise them. This constant pursuit, and encouragement, of an Internet presence, is, in many ways, a red herring.
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:59 pm

factotum wrote:The fact that MK appear to have no on-line presence is to say the least very disappointing. They must have some documentation in digital form and it's hardly rocked science to wrap a few html tags around it. Indeed at a pinch you can put a plain-text document on-line. It wouldn't win any prizes for stylish websites, but actually too much fancy style can put people off. Also given that this board has been around a few years now and is well known, its a ready-made platform for them.
It's quite incorrect to suggest that MK have no on-line presence. Since I've been involved in MK we've had three seperate websites the first designed by K Trebell was largely a flat site, the second by M. Sanders was a content management system, the third was also a content management system by M. Ripley. In all the above cases we relied on the support of those individuals to maintain the sites and inevitably situations change and people no longer have the time to help with the maintainance. A new group of people are now working on a replacement which his why a holding page is now on the domain ready for the new site to go live. The old site for all sorts of reasons had to be deactivated before christmas. I know the team have had to sort out a lot of problems based on issues arising from the old website. The aim is that the new website will be much more sustainable for the party but will also be more sophisticated than what we've had in the past. I would expect it to become live in the next few months. In the meantime there is a range of alternative on-line presences from Blogs (Cole, Richardson, Rob's Blog) Twitter (1228 followers) Facebook (795 members).

tex

Post by tex » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:25 pm

This MK and their website talk is very embarrassing, Sadly comments of this kind only continue the negative stereotype of the Cornish as being backward and of the country yokel type.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:00 pm

To which comments do you refer?

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:50 pm

tex wrote:This MK and their website talk is very embarrassing, Sadly comments of this kind only continue the negative stereotype of the Cornish as being backward and of the country yokel type.
Seemingly perpetuated by Tex! What an idiot ... All three of the people I mentioned in the last post are well-qualified IT professionals who freely gave their time and energy to MK. Over the last decade I've worked with hundreds of young Cornish people who have made careers out of becoming IT professionals. We have one of the best FE colleges in the UK educating Cornish people to the highest levels. You may wish to portray Cornish people in that way BUT we all know better and like the scots we are not too wee, too stupid or too poor to run our own affairs. National self-determination will be an inevitability for the celtic nations of this island.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:38 am

Backward, are we, Tex?

When you next use a letterbox, do remember that the nationwide postal serice was devised by a Cornishman: Ralph Allen.

Perhaps you'll drive to that letterbox, remembering, of course, that the first ever road car was a Cornishman's invention: Richard Trevithick.

Then, perhaps, you'll take a train, always mindful that the first running steam locomotive was also Trevithick's invention.

Or, maybe, you'll visit Scilly, taking the 'Scillonian'. Just remember that the screw propellors driving you, and almost every other ship in the world, were also Trevithick's invention.

Or you might just decide to fly over, always remembering that the first man to successfully fly a powered plane was Cornishman Richard Pearse (not a pair of brothers in the States who only did it 8 months later - their plane didn't have ailerons, either. Pearse's did. He thought of them; the Wright brothers didn't).

Does your house stand on concrete raft foundations? Invented by Goldsworthy Gurney. A Cornishman.

Let us hope that, in the future, you or someone you know will not require blood transfusions. But if that happens, do remember that it was a Cornishman, Richard Lower, who pioneered them.

And, as you write, Tex, be thankful that you don't have to write in Norman-French, which you probably would be doing had Cornish scholars John of Cornwall, John Trevisa and Richard Pencrych not saved English from probable extinction in the Plantagenet period.

Backward, are we?

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:11 am

Marhak wrote: And, as you write, Tex, be thankful that you don't have to write in Norman-French, which you probably would be doing had Cornish scholars John of Cornwall, John Trevisa and Richard Pencrych not saved English from probable extinction in the Plantagenet period.

Backward, are we?
Backward, no......................................but maybe a trifle silly with that last one? :oops:
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:07 am

One of history's great ironies, Paddy.

tex

Post by tex » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:36 pm

Moderators Note:-
Member banned for being offensively provocative. and abusive in general.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:35 pm

Now, why am I not surprised....?