Duchy, Stannary and the Veto!

Topical debate
Carvath

Re: Duchy, Stannary and the Veto!

Post by Carvath » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:44 pm

The guy already had a permanent ban - tex, youngcornwall, sammy, etc., etc. A complete jerk from the EMidlands :roll: . Please Cornwall let there be better for us :)

factotum

Post by factotum » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:08 pm

All this wonderful Cornish innovation (and I'm not being ironic -- honest!) is constantly being syphoned off by the English or rather London, so there is no accumulation of capital, neither financial nor human, in the Duchy.

Conan --- Content management systems can be a real pain in the posterior, since by the time you've figured out how it all works you could probably have bashed out the code yourself. They only pay off if you've got a big organisation that will really be using most of the features constantly. They also make you dependent on the one or two people who've had the time to get their heads around the system in question. I take your point about having to be careful what you put up, legal reasons for a start. But all that means is that the text needs careful editing, which I trust you've already done in the case of your manifesto's, pamphlets etc. As a stop-gap simply get these up on line where people can see them, and where supporters can refer anyone who asks what you're all about.

Be very careful with any pictures you put up. The main one on Dick Cole's blog is shall we say a little unfortunate.

factotum

Post by factotum » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:13 pm

Sorry, the pictures keep changing, anyway this is the one I had in mind ...

http://www.yadabyte.com/mkf/mk_images/image_5.jpg

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:17 pm

factotum wrote:Sorry, the pictures keep changing, anyway this is the one I had in mind ...

http://www.yadabyte.com/mkf/mk_images/image_5.jpg
At the moment gives the following:- This Account Has Been Suspended

Just to point out, that it is the hosts account, "yadabyte", that has been suspended, not MKs.
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

visitor

Post by visitor » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:52 am

With regards to the MK website when somebody actually works out what's going on with it, could they just post the answer, as after reading the postings on the subject it would appear there is much contradiction in the answers!
Stephen Richardson » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:50 am

Thank you visitor - you have certainly made your agenda clear.

I'm sorry you seem to think that I am lying or making up fairy tales.

I am glad that you are clearly in a fortunate enough position to believe that Cornwall is doing well. In many respects I agree. There is massive potential in Cornwall and there are many things that are psoitive. What is desperately needed is politicians who will put Cornwall first in order to realise the potential and build on the positives.

I suspect that we are reaching the point in this debate where you simply continue to cycle round the tired old anti-MK, anti-nationalist arguments.

If you have any positive, innovative ideas for taking Cornwall forward then I would love to hear them.
I did ask you how you would make it better,?
There is massive potential in Cornwall

How would you make the best use of this massive potential?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:20 am

By getting rid of London's malign influence, sacking their creatures down here, and taking charge of our own affairs. As simple as that.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:21 am

Which answers both questions.

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:33 am

visitor wrote:
There is massive potential in Cornwall

How would you make the best use of this massive potential?
By having a form of government that allowed that potential to thrive.
The only form of governance that would do that is local governance.
Planning policy, made and implemented locally.
A local agricultural and fishing policy, made and implemented locally.
Local taxation, set, collected, and spent locally, both income, business, and property.

A stand alone university in Cornwall, instead of one operating under licence, would be preferable, along with the recreation of a few of the old type Technical College's.

Cornish water brought back into the ownership of the people of Cornwall.

Some reinvestment in the transportation infrastructure, our Docks/Ports, Roads, Railways, etc, would also be highly beneficial, but we would need to generate a bit of money first.

Just a thought to start with.
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:13 pm

The Channel Islands model has been looked at, and I think we might benefit from a close look at the Icelandic system. In fact, Iceland is well worth studying because it has one of the world's oldest democracies, limited natural resources, doesn't have anything like the intensity of tourism that Cornwall has, has no artificial heirarchy or so-called 'royals' - and a population only three-fifths that of Cornwall. It is not a member of the EU but has full access to the Single Market. It has no standing army or navy, but still saw off Big Bully Britain in the Cod War. Its citizens have a relaxed lifestyle (even though bits of the island keep blowing up), and it's currently pulling itself out of the recession by having the balls to tell its creditors to bugger off until they're good and ready. Dammit - if Iceland can rule itself, then so can we!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:15 pm

Don't forget that we were firmly promised an independent, fully-fledged Cornish university. Instead we were bamboozled into accepting a mere satellite of Exeter.

factotum

Post by factotum » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:18 pm

"By getting rid of London's malign influence, sacking their creatures down here, and taking charge of our own affairs. As simple as that."
Off yer go then, grab that bloody great sword you keep in your porch, saddle up the old oss ... and God help the English :-)

factotum

Post by factotum » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:26 pm

Didn't the Cornish once form an alliance with the vikings against the English? Maybe we should invite Iceland to invade, or even the IoM for that matter?

factotum

Post by factotum » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:27 pm

Cornwall probably needs a decentralised university modelled on the UHI. How does the population of Cornwall compare with that of the Highlands btw?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:34 pm

Who's been looking at my FB page? In any case, you might have noticed that the said sword (of finest Toledo steel) is firmly rammed almost to the hilt in a 7ft menhir; and the old 'oss is now retired due to age, arthritis and alcohol (and I know just how he feels).

factotum

Post by factotum » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:10 am

FB? Not I, wouldn't touch it with a disinfected bargepole. Sorry to hear about the oss, but then we're none of us as young as we were, which actually backs up what I've said earlier. Is not the Cornish Nat. movement and most of the Language movement rather in the same condition? Who is there to come along with the strength and motivation to figuratively take up that sword?