Mebyon Kernow feedback wanted

Topical debate
Fulub-le-Breton

Mebyon Kernow feedback wanted

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:55 pm

Mebyon Kernow has lunched its new website - http://www.mebyonkernow.org/ - and are looking for feedback on their polices. Please take the time to read what they have to say and then get in touch.

Mebyon Kernow – the Party for Cornwall is a modern and progressive political party, campaigning for a better deal for Cornwall and a fairer, more equitable World.

It is our belief that the historic nation of Cornwall, with its own distinct identity, language and heritage, has the same right to self-determination as Scotland and Wales. Mebyon Kernow is leading the campaign for the self-government of Cornwall, through the establishment of a legislative Assembly.

We will play our part in building a confident and outward-looking Cornwall, that has the power to take decisions for itself. To achieve this, our detailed policies are founded on the core values of prosperity for all, social justice and environmental protection.

PROSPERITY FOR ALL

Mebyon Kernow is committed to a society based on real equality of opportunity, helping people to achieve their full potential in life. We want Cornwall and its communities to be successful, with all residents sharing equally in that success through thriving businesses, worthwhile and secure employment, decent wages, access to genuinely affordable housing and good quality public services.

SOCIAL JUSTICE

The Party for Cornwall is committed to a just and fair society. We believe that effective public intervention is needed to combat poverty, tackle social deprivation and fight for the disadvantaged. We will strive to build strong inclusive communities with free and equal access to well-funded education, healthcare and welfare services, run for the benefit of everyone.

ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION
Safeguarding the environment is central to Mebyon Kernow's policies. The World faces severe environmental crises, which require radical action on a worldwide basis to promote real sustainability. Mebyon Kernow – the Party for Cornwall will not shirk from difficult decisions to protect and enhance the environment for future generations.

Their polices in great detail can be found here: http://www.mebyonkernow.org/policies/ Please contact the party here: http://www.mebyonkernow.org/contact/

Ludgvan

Re: Mebyon Kernow feedback wanted

Post by Ludgvan » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:19 am

Text: Good
Colour (grey): Awful

IMO

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:39 pm

I see
A full Inquiry into the Duchy of Cornwall and Cornwall's ambiguous constitutional relationship with the Crown, and the contradictions between our constitutional status and current administrative arrangements.
is in the 'Recognition for Cornwall' section were as, personally, I think it should be under the 'Political Reform' section or mentioned in both. But anyway good to see this and support of national minority status in the policies.

Carvath

Post by Carvath » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:22 pm

Had another read. Clear, informative, looks professional. Don't mind the colours. Just what's needed. Good Luck!

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:22 am

Feedback for website: much better, well done

Feedback for party: get one good electable party candidate for next parliamentary elections (rather than wasting time, money and effort on 5) and as much as I like Dick Cole, an injection of charisma and enthusiasm in the leadership might also be no bad thing...

Carvath

Post by Carvath » Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:08 am

Yes, I think MK should concentrate on Parish, town and Cornwall Council seats, which they do quite well with now and could do better, rather than Westminster elections, which really feature UK wide policy. Chons Da to MK.

zennorman2

Post by zennorman2 » Sun May 06, 2012 12:13 pm

MK's principles are great but they need to illustrate:
1. How are they going to pay for them. They need to know not only how much money is likely to be available to an MK Council, but also details of what they seek in order to balance social justice against the economic consequences of over taxation.
2. In the current political climate it is wholly possible that MK could have a role in holding the balance of power following the Council elections next year. There are many permutations but the party needs to start thinking what its red lines are.
3. With the collapse of the Liberal Democrats it is likely that Labour will be MKs major opponent in many Cornish towns and the Tories in rural areas. MK should be actively promoting itself as the main challenger to both Labour and the Tories in Cornwall, surplanting the Liberals.
4. Parliamentary seats will be more tricky. People in Cambone and Redruth will want to see the back of the Tories and vote Labour. Taking enough Labour votes to help support another Tory government will not do anyone any good. Elsewhere, it wont matter that much. Even the loss of Mr George, sitting on his pension prospects, would not be a loss.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Mon May 07, 2012 11:37 am

It's a catch 22 situation; with power comes money, and with money comes power.

I think MK need to find one solid electable person that looks, sounds and acts the part; from that, attract the sponsors who will then provide the financial base for that MK person to win a seat. The idea is that it snowballs from there. If the apathetic and/or reluctant Cornish electorate think MK is good enough for one, they'll keep voting MK when labour and Tories keep letting them down nationally.

zennorman2

Post by zennorman2 » Mon May 07, 2012 12:28 pm

I think MK needs good candidates for 2013 rather than necessarily 123 candidates. I am not sure whether after 15 years Dick Cole has had his time as leader. Nice bloke, very capable but he needs a much more roving brief than planning issues. MK also needs to outline what money it wants and how it would spend it better as part of a devolution package.

capten

Post by capten » Mon May 07, 2012 6:26 pm

I've seen a few people suggest that MK needs to throw all their resources at one constituency, or a few key council wards. Trouble is, they barely have the resources to do either. Furthermore they're pointless if people can't vote for them - they need candidates for all the wards so that as many people as possible have the option of voting for them. Then they can work on courting that vote.

I haven't yet heard of anyone who could replace Dick. He's well respected and has a certain amount of name recognition that nobody else has.

zennorman2

Post by zennorman2 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:37 pm

I think there is a much stronger case for MK to contest the majority of Council seats in 2013 but in all cases it needs to make sure that candidates are credible and presentable. Certainly no closet Tories or candidates who dont turn up to hustings. I agree about Dick but there needs to be more development of succession and talent. He needs to get about more and worry about planning issues less.

Tasgwynn

Post by Tasgwynn » Tue May 08, 2012 9:58 pm

Among the problems that MK has is the difficulty in getting its message out to the public at large. The local press, under the influence of, if not actually controlled by, the establishment, is reluctant to give MK space to tell people what its policies are towards the problems facing Cornwall today, and the BBC will not give it a party political broadcast because it is not standing in a sufficient percentage of the British constituencies, despite the fact that it will have a candidate for 100% of the Cornish constituencies. MK is not just fighting the main political parties, but the establishment too.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Wed May 09, 2012 10:01 pm

That's certainly a big part of the problem, hence the need for big donations from local businesses and businessmen & women...

R

Post by R » Thu May 10, 2012 11:01 am

The local press, under the influence of, if not actually controlled by, the establishment, is reluctant to give MK space to tell people what its policies are towards the problems facing Cornwall today
Where to start on this one? I think I'll just stick to the bit saying the local press being reluctant to give space to MK - I think you'll find that Dick Cole currently has a weekly column in the Cornish Guardian and you will find MK councillors frequently quoted in Cornwall Council stories and most, if not all, MK press releases are usually given coverage in the Cornish Guardian and West Briton.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri May 11, 2012 1:58 pm

Pity those columns are not in every Cornish weekly paper, especially when UKIP get a free go every week through the Trago adverts.