Mebyon Kernow feedback wanted

Topical debate
Coady

Re: Mebyon Kernow feedback wanted

Post by Coady » Tue May 15, 2012 11:43 pm

Phil Rendle, Mebyon kernow, new mayor of Penzance, sworn in last night.
We live in interesting times!

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Thu May 17, 2012 8:25 pm

Perhaps so, R, but whenever, wherever there's any kind of election in Cornwall, and any fool can see that MK are totally side-lined by the 'local' press in favour of any other party, esp so the 3 big ones, obviously...

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Thu May 17, 2012 8:27 pm

And WooHoo for Phil Rendle!!
A small step in the right direction, despite the press & establishment's best efforts...

Tasgwynn

Post by Tasgwynn » Fri May 18, 2012 10:29 pm

I must have missed that item on the Spotlight news. Perhaps it was squeezed by the report on the county championship rugby.

Coady

Post by Coady » Sat May 19, 2012 9:46 am

To be frank, it's "Mayor Choosing season" and in the main of interest mainly to the people of each town. I don't think I've ever seen more than a report in the local paper... would you say it was TV worthy, honestly?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat May 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Bring back Mock Mayors!

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sun May 20, 2012 11:38 am

Postby capten » Mon May 07, 2012 6:26 pm: I've seen a few people suggest that MK needs to throw all their resources at one constituency, or a few key council wards. Trouble is, they barely have the resources to do either.
To be frank even if MK targeted all their resources on one person and one constituency in a general election perhaps they'd keep their deposit but would they win? With this in mind perhaps its better to spread the scarce resources over the whole of the Duchy with the objective of building MK membership, people ready to stand as candidates, councillor numbers and general awareness of the party. The slow burn with the immediate objective of applying pressure on the other parties to respect the Cornish POV.

Now for some wishful thinking. If MK could strike an electoral pact with Labour (or LibDems) for the next general election ie MK and Labour negotiate constituencies in the Duchy and actively support each other then that could be interesting. Fat chance though.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sun May 20, 2012 12:56 pm

Hey Fulub,
I can see where you're coming from, but I don't think the big 3 would see any advantage from doing so; but also, from some MK supporters stand point, I could never vote for a party that aligned itself with one of the three national parties that have all, in their own way, over the past few years, caused so much damage to Cornwall and its people.
I may not be the only one to hold labour, the Tories and the libdems in complete contempt...

capten

Post by capten » Sun May 20, 2012 1:04 pm

Fulub-le-Breton wrote:Now for some wishful thinking. If MK could strike an electoral pact with Labour (or LibDems) for the next general election ie MK and Labour negotiate constituencies in the Duchy and actively support each other then that could be interesting. Fat chance though.
Talk about making a deal with the devil... I'm not sure that's something even MK would want. Both Labour and the Lib Dems have been disgraced so much in Cornwall that MK getting in bed with them would not do them any favours.

As for the Greens, I would be disappointed to see MK and Green candidates standing against each other at any election, considering we are in the same party at the European level. But we can't expect that to be mirrored at the local level, although it's probably worth a try.

zennorman2

Post by zennorman2 » Mon May 21, 2012 9:24 pm

Labour will not stand down in Camborne and Redruth where they will probably have an MP after the next election. It is also a key area for both Labour and MK to compete for Cornwall Councillors next year.

Yet the problem is that people are visiting food banks in Cornwall. A Labour Government nationally is their best hope.

Coady

Post by Coady » Mon May 21, 2012 10:31 pm

I dont know about Camborne, but in Hayle the Food Bank volunteers include our two Labour councilors, who, i think were the ones who set it up.

capten

Post by capten » Tue May 22, 2012 10:10 am

Yes because national Labour governments do so much good for ordinary Cornish people, like all the benefits we got from spending billions on illegal wars, and siphoning off development money to London and the South East, and creating a dependence on the financial sector at the expense of manufacturing jobs everywhere, and pushing ahead with undemocratic centrally-controlled regionalisation...

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue May 22, 2012 12:54 pm

What was the contribution to Cornwall of the last Labour Government? Ah, yes, an unelected South Western Regional Development Agency that no one here wanted. An equally unwanted and unelected South West Regional Assembly. A broken promise to honour a petition signed by 50,000 for a Cornish Assembly, and the unwanted imposition of a disastrous Unitary Authority. Continual refusal to sign the Cornish people onto the Framework Convention for National Minorities - the only minority in Britain to be excluded. Etc., etc.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Tue May 22, 2012 1:47 pm

Like I said:
"I may not be the only one to hold labour, the Tories and the libdems in complete contempt...", precisely for all the reasons listed above, and more...

A guy in the pub, at the weekend, said that if the cabinet over-turn the full council's decision not to subsidise Heaney's and Dickie Evans' grand white elephant, to house their few hundred fans, it would give many "the green light for direct action against the council". He also thought the language thing down lands end was a shocking disgrace. Oh, and did I fail to mention he's a sportsman and fan originally from East Anglia, but considers his kids to be Cornish... Good for him!

tean

Post by tean » Tue May 22, 2012 9:01 pm

rosko,

Actually Heaney is not part of the Stadium consortium. Also where did you get this idea about only a few hundred fans? When the Pirates were at Truro and Camborne they filled the grounds up to the H & S limit imposed, but for those limits which were 6000 and 7500 respectively there would have been more. A Stadium would not be a white elephant because rugby is our national sport and playing at the top level would would ensure the stadium would not be a white elephant.

Also the council only voted not to even scrutinise the consortium's business plan as proposed by Dick Cole. It was the Conservatives and LibDems who voted against. Mebyon Kernow councillors voted for it along with a lot of Independent Cornish councillors who don't toe any party line.

Perhaps they were aware of the Cornish love of rugby which goes back a long way. As a proud Cornishman I'm sure you know that in the 1908 Olympics Cornwall represented GB in the rugby final and that in 1991 40,000 descended on Twickenham to see Cornwall win the County Championship Trophy.