Cultural Cleansing for the Cameras - the Olympic Spirit

Topical debate
Marhak

Cultural Cleansing for the Cameras - the Olympic Spirit

Post by Marhak » Sun May 20, 2012 4:11 pm

For seevral years, at Land's End, in big letters on the prominent frieze over the pillared entrance to the complex, a bilingual sign has announced:

LAND'S END : PENN AN WLAS

This proud sign was still there on April 10, 2012. But not on Saturday May 19, 2012.
A whole new paint job had been done for the BBC TV cameras, and the sign now reads:

LAND'S END

Not only that, but the Cornish flag and coat-of-arms had also vanished.

Someone did not want the world to see that Kernow has its own, separate linguistic heritage. And someone got their way. Rest assured that we WILL find who the 'someone' was, and someone's head is going to roll for this blatant piece of cultural cleansing. Legally protected language, hey?

ITV local news will run a short piece on this tonight, and a longer piece tomorrow.

Ludgvan

Re: Cultural Cleansing for the Cameras - the Olympic Spirit

Post by Ludgvan » Sun May 20, 2012 5:36 pm

Outrageous.

Here is a picture from Matthew Clarke of Lands End before and after Olympic cultural cleansing:

http://pic.twitter.com/VB3zS3l0

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Sun May 20, 2012 6:13 pm

Ludgvan wrote:Outrageous.

Here is a picture from Matthew Clarke of Lands End before and after Olympic cultural cleansing:

http://pic.twitter.com/VB3zS3l0

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sun May 20, 2012 8:32 pm

That's just obscene...
Let the world see how the Olympics in London works for its 'ethnics'.
Let the Welsh, Scots and Irish know too as they' been there and ave dealt with this illegal Seb Coe-sanctioned state vandalism. His head should roll (but probably can't, as it's stuck too far up Cameron's arse).

London have effectively declared English signage in Cornwall legitimate targets. Given the heavy police presence during the match stick event, they're either complicit, or just plain incompetent...

Either way, I'm out every night this week, looking for candidates of English language signs to be (physically) translated to Cornish with immediate effect.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun May 20, 2012 8:55 pm

First stop is a (very polite) letter to Land's End asking why the change and who requested it, adding that the Cornish language community is disappointed (well, actually they're f**king furious!). Once I get a reply (if I'm let out of the cells by then) I can push this further. But it's NOT going to be dropped.

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Sun May 20, 2012 11:54 pm

Last edited by TeamKernow on Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

Ludgvan

Post by Ludgvan » Mon May 21, 2012 2:17 pm

This is the contact form for Lands End 'Landmark' if you want to drop them a quick question about this high profile sterilisation of our culture :

http://www.landsend-landmark.co.uk/contact.php

Be warned, the answers are coming back pretty slick.

Ludgvan

Post by Ludgvan » Mon May 21, 2012 2:22 pm

And a blogpost:

"Target for trippers and fund-raisers alike, the place is an abomination, a ghastly tourist-trap......

http://petelondon.blogspot.co.uk/

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon May 21, 2012 2:25 pm

The story's on the local ITV news tonight (6pm). Land's End has issued a carefully worded statement alleging that the removal of Cornish symbolism had nothing to do with the Olympic torch relay TV coverage. Convincing nobody. Source FM rang their manager, a Mr Bryan, this morning and reported that he was "aggressively defensive" and was spluttering about "conspiracy theories" in the first sentence. In the meantime, I was sent a gently worded message about "perceptions of nationalist policies", to which I replied: "Whose policies might those be?"

Ludgvan

Post by Ludgvan » Mon May 21, 2012 4:57 pm

The Scots don't like this one little bit.

The Scottish Republic learnt of this from Fulub's blog

http://www.scotsrepublic.com/2012/05/le ... l?spref=tw

They say:

"Scottish Republic weblog will continue to support the Cornish people, devolution for Cornwall and preservation of language and culture in Cornwall."

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon May 21, 2012 7:45 pm

Well done ITV for a fair, even-handed report on tonight's news. Well done Matthew Clarke for alerting them to the scandal. Good input from Jenefer Lowe and Malcolm Bell.

Of course, Land's End weren't available for interview but issued the same statement they did this morning saying it had "nothing to do with the Olympic torch relay". The ITV news presenter put the lie to that quite beautifully by saying "I was there on Satruday and you could smell the fresh paint"!!!!

Of course the Land's End management wouldn't be interviewed. It nicely avoids the question we're all asking: Who gave the instruction to airbrush Cornish culture and distinctiveness for the TV cameras? Land's End or London? I know which my money's on.

Ludgvan

Post by Ludgvan » Mon May 21, 2012 10:28 pm

Yes, Jenefer looks and sounds extremely disappointed.

Here she is on the ITV News website:

http://www.itv.com/news/westcountry/sto ... n-removed/

And a blogpost on the Breselyerkeltic site:

http://breselyerkeltic.com/

Ludgvan

Post by Ludgvan » Tue May 22, 2012 9:15 am

The BBC today highlights linguistic cleansing at Land End:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cornwall-18156334

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Tue May 22, 2012 9:43 am

I wonder whether removing the Cornish language sign has not actually created more publicity for our language?!!

I can't imagine the BBC ever talking about the Cornish language, as they just have, simply because there was a sign there. Whereas this act of cultural aggression has highlighted the (missing) sign much better than if it hadn't been removed...

Ludgvan

Post by Ludgvan » Tue May 22, 2012 10:03 am

I disagree with you Rosko. This has not been helpful, and the manner in which it was done - very stealthily and just before the event happened - was extremely political, when leaving it as it was would have meant world publicity for the Cornish flag, the other icons and the Cornish language.

I've heard Lands End were given £3 million to do the place up for this - does anyone know anything about this?

Here is a letter to Lands End that was sent yesterday:

http://www.twitlonger.com/show/hgpalb

Dear Sir or Madam,

As a resident of Cornwall, not far from Penn an Wlas I am absolutely astonished, saddened and infuriated by the fact you chose to remove the CORNISH name from a CORNISH place to placate people who DO NOT live in CORNWALL. Incase you need a hand here as you are obviously not from CORNWALL, Penn an Wlas is the CORRECT name for Land's End.

Imagine the uproar if a Cornish resident removed all the signs from Buckingham Palace and replaced them with a Cornish translation. I'm sure (s)he would find themselves in alot of trouble.

In these days of multiculturalism and the need for additional languages and / or translations into Hindi, Pakistani, Polish etc it seems a mite racist to remove a CORNISH name from a CORNISH place! Isn't it about time the Cornish Language was included and even accepted throughout Cornwall and England, after all the native language of Cornwall is just as important as say Welsh or Gaelic.

I am not the only resident infuriated by this and I would like to know when you are going to remove the current insult to the Cornish and Cornwall and restore the REAL name "Penn an Wlas" to it's rightful place!

Yours sincerely