Cultural Cleansing for the Cameras - the Olympic Spirit

Topical debate
GrahamHart

Re: Cultural Cleansing for the Cameras - the Olympic Spirit

Post by GrahamHart » Mon May 28, 2012 1:46 pm

We live in a fascist state Conan, but thankfully the world is waking up thanks to the Internet. My god, where would we be without it.
With regard to Steve Ovett (and many other runners), I suppose Coe got far too used to people looking up his arse.
I was always an Ovett fan Craig. His arrogance and showmanship was something else !

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon May 28, 2012 3:29 pm

But Coe kept on winning. OK, so he's an arrogant, overblown, conceited sh*t of a man (he IS a Tory, after all), but he was a superb runner. The trouble is that he got so used to people looking up his arse in races, that he now expects everyone to do it, all of the time.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Mon May 28, 2012 6:18 pm

Why on earth are you getting so hot under the collar on this matter? You have absolutely no evidence regarding signage at Land's End, which is by the way a privately owned company. There is no link between this and the Olympics.
Basically you are just scratching around in the dust looking for trouble.
Cornwall Council, The Tourist Board, Business, Hotels etc have all said what an outstanding success the torch relay has been for the county.
'Well done Lord Coe and the rest of The Olympic Committee for your tireless work to bring the Olympics to Great Britain, flying the Olympic flame to RNAS Culdrose and starting the Torch Relay at Land's End.'

capten

Post by capten » Mon May 28, 2012 7:55 pm

Who are you quoting?

Carbilly

Post by Carbilly » Mon May 28, 2012 8:13 pm

capten wrote:Who are you quoting?
His imaginary friend - who inhabits the same parallel universe as our 'Trev'. :D

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon May 28, 2012 8:19 pm

You Trev, are merely commenting in accustomed accordance with your own unfounded opinions. On the other hand, we have considerable evidence (because, unlike you, we've been out of our armchairs). Once we have the latest FOI demand in our hands, we may learn even more. That is for copies of all correspondence between LOCOG (which is not a private company) and Land's End prior to the torch relay event. Even you can't seriously think the the obliteration of the bilingual sign - still in place just 2 weeks before the event - had "no link" with the Olympic event.

The Land's End company may be a private firm. They hold title to the headland for the interim only. Land's End belongs to Cornwall. It always has done, and always will. Our language also belongs to us, not to a private firm, Seb Coe or the Olympic Committee. It is not theirs to dictate to, or obliterate.

And why is Cornwall Council speaking for Devon?

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Mon May 28, 2012 8:38 pm

TrevorPen blablabla boring blablabla scratching around blablabla in the dust blablabla stirring blabla hate the Cornish blablabla yawn blabla most boring twat ever blabla mouthpiece for Coe & Co blabla yawn blabla going to bed now blabl... Zzzzzzzz bla zzz

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Tue May 29, 2012 1:03 am

CJenkin wrote:Does anyone know all the people who were visited by the constabulary prior to the Torch parade? Could be an interesting FOI request. In a democracy I think its appalling that the police are used in that way. Why on earth would they visit elderly pensioners who have been life-long members of democratic nationalist parties?

I have to say nothing surprises me about our un-democratic state since our house phone was bugged in the eighties.
:idea: And now in Wales... :idea: :

'Police visit student over Olympic torch tweets

Written by Courier Staff on May 27, 2012 at 5:14 PM

Andrew Tindall, Aberystwyth student, was visited by two police officers this afternoon after having posted several tweets relating to a display of a Cornish flag in the Olympic Torch relay earlier this week.

Tindall, who was also visited by the police in relation to a visiting lecture by Leighton Andrews two weeks ago, says that officers entered his house without permission and questioned him about two tweets, one linking to the Cornish flag display and another reading “I hope the police try to grapple a Welsh flag from someone, and then get killed as a result.”

Tindall’s version of events, which Dyfed Powys Police have yet to confirm, is below:

Today, the Olympic Torch is in Aberystwyth, Wales.

The route passes by my house in approximately 40 minutes, with an increasing police presence since this afternoon. There is also currently a free event happening on the other side of town, with local bands etc.

Earlier in the tour, a metropolitan police officer grabbed a Cornish flag from a runner after being instructed to do so. I tweeted ( https://twitter.com/andrewtindall/statu ... 8524131328) about this yesterday evening when I learned of this. I then tweeted two minutes later an anti-police tweet ( https://twitter.com/andrewtindall/statu ... 5319558145 ).

At approximately 17:10, someone knocked loudly at the door. I ignored this on the basis of the increased police presence, and having previously had police enter my property to intimidate me on May 14th regarding plans for a banner drop outside a speech by the Welsh Education Minister. The knocking persisted, and an individual also began to shout “Hello. Is anyone in?” repeatedly.

After approximately a minute, I heard the door open, and two individuals mutters to themselves as they walked around the ground floor of the property, which is rented by myself and 3 other students. After about 30 seconds of this, when one began to go up the stairs, I left the room to confront the intruders in the hallway. There were two individuals, not in any identifiable police uniform. I asked them why they had entered my property without permission and told them to leave, to which they agreed and stood at the front door. They did not introduce themselves beyond saying they were from the “local police”.

I asked them repeatedly why they entered the property without consent, and the reasons given were that “the door was unlocked”, and that they “didn’t know what kind of property this was… bedsit, HMO…” . I told them that was not a satisfactory reason for entry.They began to ask me questions as to the “context” of the above two tweets, and read them out to me. I declined to answer them. They also denied that outside police forces would be involved in policing the area today, to which I responded that it was my understanding the Met would be policing the torch route, which they then confirmed. They asked me what my intentions were for this afternoon, and whether I intended to attend any of the olympic relating happening, to which I said I didn’t want anything to do with it, and asked them to leave. They asked to leave on good terms, which I rejected and again criticised their entry into the premises without warrant or consent. At this they left.'

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Tue May 29, 2012 9:20 am

Last edited by TeamKernow on Tue May 29, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue May 29, 2012 9:33 am

An interesting account by Mr Tindall which very much accords with visits made to a few Cornish homes just prior to May 19th. They, too, were asked what their "intentions" were regarding the torch relay. The police should have asked LOCOG what their intentions were, too. That way, internationally broadcast insults to Cornwall, its flag and language; and the resulting backlash, might have been avoided.

Palores

Post by Palores » Tue May 29, 2012 2:54 pm

I went by train to see the Olympic torch, carrying a rolled-up Cornish national flag.
On the train I was approached by an individual who claimed that he was a secret security agent.
"What are you scared of?" I asked.
"Attacks", he replied; "there has already been an attack at Land's End".
I waited with the flag unfurled and after a long wait saw the torch pass (an anticlimax, if ever there was one).
On the return train journey I again saw the alleged agent.
"Was there any trouble?" I asked.
He claimed that there had been a brawl, but I did not believe him.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Tue May 29, 2012 3:11 pm

There was indeed an assault at Penn an Wlas... by a dense short arse Met police person on an unsuspecting member of the public...

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue May 29, 2012 6:39 pm

The very same dense short arse Met thug who snatched our national flag at Saltash (and the very same one seen beating several hasty retreats from Zara Phillips's spooked horse after the brainless bimbo tied to light the torch inches from his eyeball - not so bloody tough then, was he?)

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Thu May 31, 2012 10:24 am

Rosko wrote:There was indeed an assault at Penn an Wlas... by a dense short arse Met police person on an unsuspecting member of the public...
Marhak wrote:The very same dense short arse Met thug who snatched our national flag at Saltash...
Marhak wrote:...and the very same one seen beating several hasty retreats from Zara Phillips's spooked horse after the brainless bimbo tied to light the torch inches from his eyeball - not so bloody tough then, was he?