Cultural Cleansing for the Cameras - the Olympic Spirit

Topical debate
Mark

Re: Cultural Cleansing for the Cameras - the Olympic Spirit

Post by Mark » Fri Jun 15, 2012 10:08 am

RE: Gloriana. Have you seen this week's Cornishman, page two - 'Flag Mystery Solved'? :roll:
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

Carbilly

Post by Carbilly » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:18 am

Hmm, something (surprisingly) doesn't add up here.
Why give the Cornish flag such prominence and yet no 'county' flags were flown - I assume the barge was built elsewhere and by people from elsewhere in the UK?
Why sit on this information for so long - why not release it at the time? I'm sure our, ahem, 'local' media would have loudly proclaimed its perceived lack of significance.
Incidentally, not being a subscriber to any Northcliffe publications, is this the first time any of them have broached the subject of Baner Peran being flown on the 'Gloriana'? Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they'd all kept schtum up to now before gleefully giving this little snippet maximum publicity. The trolls on 'TIC' will no doubt be filling their boots. :roll:

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Jun 15, 2012 11:29 am

This 'spin' is almost laughable. Any nod to a boatbuilder (even if that was the case, which I seriously doubt) would have taken the form of a small pennant flown at bow or stern. It would not have take the form of a full-sized flag, flown within a group of flags representing the constituent nations of the UK, as St Piran's Cross was. Don't forget, this was the Royal Barge. Nothing was being flown on that boat without the very highest Royal authority. A very clear statement was being made there, and the Anglocentrics don't like it. Hence the fully anticipated spin by Northcliffe Media and the BBC.

Conveniently, every journalist in the land appears to have missed the second clear statement being made by that group of national flags: the flying of St Patrick's Saltire to represent Northern Ireland. That flag has not been flown officially for over 40 years.

Carbilly

Post by Carbilly » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:31 pm

Just popped over to 'TIC' - jeez, what a bear-pit - and thought this was worth sharing before it's probable 'moderation' on said board;
Profile image for AC1950

by AC1950

Friday, June 15 2012, 11:49AM

“The Master Boatbuilder is called MARK EDWARDS and his family are the CURNOWS from Cornwall.

I know a fair few of them.

This newspaper needs to get its facts right! And there are many more to get right but there has been a great deal of external pressure but on Mark and the others in the team.
They are proud to be Cornish. Cornish first and last. Nothing else.

And this is what happened and this paper are aware of that fact. The St. Piran's flag was suggested by the builders and their family who felt that Cornwall was just as valid a Country as England or elsewhere and that it why it was flown where it was.

The Royal family knew all about this and gave their permission. Prince Charles wrote a forward in a book called 'Kernow Bys Vyken!' back in 2000 and said the future of Cornwall lay in the hands of the young Cornish.

And so it has been taken up.

Following the controversy after the Thames Pageant, there has been a panic and words have been put in the boy's mouths by higher ups. They have now had to toe the 'party line'. Jobs are valuable these days!

This newspaper and all the radio and TV stations are aware of the truth. But they are too afraid to publish it. As I say, jobs are important these days. But plenty know the real truth. Many letters and emails have been posted over this to the press but they have also had to behave.

My first and final posting here.”

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Read that, and commented. It'll be interesting to see how long my post remains on there.

Crowsanwra

Post by Crowsanwra » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:46 pm

Now you can see why I cannot be bothered to post there. They are going on and on about this website and slagging off posters here by name. I can't see why that is allowed.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:46 am

I looked at 'This is (Not) Cornwall' a few years ago, and the place was infested with vermine, or as i call them,the fat, the bad & the ugly, so decided to stay away and haven't read for years. I say infested, seeing all these aliases mentioned on here, we're probably talking half a dozen Daily Mirror representatives, with vile, racist, anti-Cornish views, and a massive chip on their shoulders...

The flag story in the West Briton, some two weeks after st Piran's was hoisted alongside these islands' other nations, is a pitiful rearguard action by the newspaper to shut Cornwall up.

As Marhak points out, you don't fly a massive flag on a royal barge, on the occasion of a 60th anniversary, alongside the islands' other national flags, with >2bn people or more watching, just as a little gesture of thanks to a Cornish boatbuilder!!

What complete and utter nonsense! If you believe that, then you'd believe anything, like QEII is head of state in Cornwall.. Not!!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Have written in to the Cornishman (aka Englishman), West Briton and WMN. Let's see if they publish it.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:24 am

Next, they'll be flying the St Piran's over Buckingham Palace, because the fish they had for dinner, last night, was from a well respected Newquay fisherman; or they'll fly our national Cornish flag over the Westminster parliament because the speaker of the house enjoyed a Rowe's pasty, at lunchtime...

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:00 am

I've made the point elsewhere that the very recent results from the 10-year Wellcome Trust genetic survey will be explained away by the BBC and Northcliffe Media just like their absurd play-down of the flag on the 'Gloriana' (which they took nearly a fortnight to dream up). They'll come up with something like:

"Well, the report had to say that about the Cornish because one of the lab technicians in Oxford had an aunt whose second cousin's grandson had a girlfriend from Redruth".

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:28 am

This evening, at the 2012 Olympiad Closing Ceremony, LOCOG & the BBC & Ben Ainslie have a unique opportunity to make up for the travesties that are the subject of this discussion at Cornwall24.

:idea: Will he - Won't he ? :idea:

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:00 pm

Let's see if, in the same vein as the two 'French' women footballers who wrapped themselves up in an 'illegal' Breton flag following their medal ceremony, Ben Ainslie is not just a great Olympic sailor, but also has a little bit of a Cornish heart & soul... I think probably not...

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:18 pm

PS would love to be proved wrong...

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Aug 12, 2012 8:34 pm

Well, Ainslie himself is not Cornish by birth or ancestry but it was Cornwall and a Cornish sailing club that taught him all all he came to know, and founded the success that is rightfully his. A St Piran's Flag at the closing ceremony is the least he could do.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Mon Aug 13, 2012 8:49 pm

As I suspected, sadly... A proud badge displaying Next (sponsor?), but not a whiff of Cornishness on display. He learnt from the best, the Cornish, at Restronget SC, but no acknowledgement at all. Like most modern Olympians, v good standard, but heart & soul for sale to highest bidder....