Diamond Jubilee

Topical debate
P_Trembath

Diamond Jubilee

Post by P_Trembath » Mon May 28, 2012 10:20 am

Are we missing a golden opportunity here?

Not only is it 60 years since Elizabeth Windsor became Queen of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, and of Her other Realms and Territories, Queen, Head of the Commonwealth, Defender of the Faith, but it is also 60 years since her first born son became the Duke of Cornwall.

It is his Diamond Jubilee as well, and one which has more meaning to Cornwall than the other one.

Therefore, in Cornwall, should we not be having celebrations, street parties, Bank Holidays, and other such fawning occurrences, in his "honor", and not in "honor" of his mother, the Queen of the country next door?

Would it not help bring the situation of the Duchy to the fore, and, maybe, at the same time, remind our Duke of his responsibilities, instead of just his perks?

Just a thought. :twisted:
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

Rosko

Re: Diamond Jubilee

Post by Rosko » Mon May 28, 2012 10:51 am

And a very good thought too, Paddy.

I shall now change my plans to celebrating 60 years of a complete useless twat, Charles, as our head of state. Cornwall has not had such a thoroughly incompetent Duke since Hugh Laurie in Blackadder. Well actually that's a bit unfair; it's probably a close run thing...

"Blackadder: I trust you had a pleasant evening, sir?
Prince Charles: Well, no, actually. The most extraordinary thing happened. Last night I was having a bit of a snack at the Naughty Hellfire Club, and some fellow said that I had the wit and sophistication of a donkey." not much has changed then...

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon May 28, 2012 11:08 am

Got to line 2, then shot my coffee straight down my nose! Wonderful!

Ludgvan

Post by Ludgvan » Mon May 28, 2012 2:44 pm

Sixty years of mis-rule. It's a long time.

A system which embedded accountability and encouraged both rights and responsibilities to be fulfilled would have seen his overthrow decades ago.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon May 28, 2012 3:25 pm

Nobody wants to see such a feckless twat succeed to the throne. On the other hand, if he ever does, then that will kill this monarchy stone-dead.

Tasgwynn

Post by Tasgwynn » Mon May 28, 2012 10:08 pm

Perhaps we should be celebrating the fact that, by hanging around for so long, she's kept the avaricious little turd off the throne until he's approaching his dotage, and, if she keeps going a bit longer, she might complete the job.

Tasgwynn

Post by Tasgwynn » Mon May 28, 2012 10:25 pm

I notice that Cornwall is not the only place where he gets up to his tricks. The Radio Times write-up for a programme tomorrow says that he took out a bank loan for £20 million, about his annual take from Cornwall, to restore a mansion in Ayrshire, oh! and to build 600 new homes on the estate.

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Mon May 28, 2012 11:51 pm

Tasgwynn wrote:I notice that Cornwall is not the only place where he gets up to his tricks. The Radio Times write-up for a programme tomorrow says that he took out a bank loan for £20 million, about his annual take from Cornwall, to restore a mansion in Ayrshire, oh! and to build 600 new homes on the estate.
Uh-oh! Apologies all round for :idea: planting such a bad idea :idea:
in the fecund greed fuelled organic deposit between
His Dukeness's mighty aural equipment.
It appears irony wasn't on the curriculum at Gordonstoun...

Last edited by TeamKernow on Thu May 31, 2012 12:57 pm, edited 7 times in total.

GrahamHart

Post by GrahamHart » Tue May 29, 2012 12:37 am

A nice start to the proceedings :D :) :o :shock: 8-) :lol: :mrgreen: :ugeek:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-18234953

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Wed May 30, 2012 10:23 am

Tasgwynn

Post by Tasgwynn » Wed May 30, 2012 3:05 pm

Driving a coach and horses through the legislation again?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu May 31, 2012 11:56 pm

Tuesday's Bank Holiday will not, in Cornwall, celebrate anyone's Jubilee - certainly not a foreign queen who has nothing to do with us, or her feckless son (it's his 60th year as Duke).

Instead, get out the Gwynn ha Du bunting, and place big orders with your local baker. In the light of recent developments, Tuesday in Kernow will be:

PASTY LIBERATION DAY!

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:51 am

Marak - You wont be celebrating in a couple of years or so, when the Conservatives take all the parliamentary seats in the county as the party whom threw out 'the pasty tax'!

Carvath

Post by Carvath » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:02 am

I don't think it will matter Trev as they are unlikely to be the government after their recent and increasing shows of incompetence and naivety. They are now over 10% behind the opposition and things generally are getting worse. Sounds like your perfect party.