Genetics and the Cornish

Topical debate
Marhak

Genetics and the Cornish

Post by Marhak » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:19 pm

Right, Trevorpen and the rest of your ilk - what have you to say now? Read and inwardly digest. You've never accepted the facts from us, so try nay-saying the scientists at Oxford Uni and the Wellcome Trust. They have been researching this for something like 10 years. Perhaps you'll come to realise that true Celts don't do "spin". We tell the truth.

http://tinyurl.com/DNA-Welsh-CORNISH

Marhak

Re: Genetics and the Cornish

Post by Marhak » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:21 pm

London now has no excuse to continue excluding the Cornish from the Framework Convention for Regional and National Minorities.

Ludgvan

Post by Ludgvan » Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:30 pm

There is a lot more interesting information on the People of Britain website, where they say "We have some exciting results that we are writing up at the moment showing, for example, that we can differentiate Devon from Cornwall...."

http://www.peopleofthebritishisles.org/

Carbilly

Post by Carbilly » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:33 pm

While this is undoubtedly good news in so far as it's yet another string to the recognition bow, I think people need to be a bit careful to avoid being left open to charges of Nazi style racial purity - as this will no doubt be thrown back, with complete lack of irony, by the usual Anglo supremacists.
I'm a great believer in cultural nationalism as opposed to any other type, being Cornish doesn't mean you have to have had both sets of Great- Grandparents born here (though I do 8-) ) - some of the most passionate Cornish people I know have English parents on one or both sides.
Still, it does provide even more irrefutable proof for the deniers that Kernow has, as we all know, existed as a distinct nation for far longer than the country next door. :D

Crowsanwra

Post by Crowsanwra » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:15 pm

Christ, if you post that on This is Cornwall - not, slimslad/tylertoby/Taxman100/Biggear/youngcornwall would have a blue fit! It would set them yacking for months and then it would end up with everyone being called NAzis.
I took part in this survey though. I have grandparents on both sides born here and got invited into the local church hall months and months ago.
They took a blood sample then my face photograph and hand photograph in 3D, then a skin colour test, then I had to taste various things and describe them. I had a message back to say I was genetically related to the Welsh but I knew that anyhow. Grandpa also said so. He told us we were Celts.

Carbilly

Post by Carbilly » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:24 pm

Marhak wrote:London now has no excuse to continue excluding the Cornish from the Framework Convention for Regional and National Minorities.
They've had ''no excuse'' for years, but I fear they'll do with this info what they've always done with prior evidence - completely ignore it. Still, it must be getting harder and harder to resist the overwhelming argument, even for Central Government, though I still feel that Europe offers most hope for recognition.
Great to see how Northcliffe et.al. spin this story. Actually, they'll probably ignore it for a week or two before coming up with a quote from one of the academics stating that the Cornish were only given a distinct genetic marker as a nod to one of the field workers, who happened to be Cornish. :roll:

Crowsanwra

Post by Crowsanwra » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:12 pm

That is very funny about the field worker. I bet they do! :lol: Anyways, as predicted, Slimslad on tiC is on about Nazi eugenics now because someone has posted about the Times report. I don't know why they can't accept the Cornish are closely related to the Welsh and neither are English. And quite why scientists from Oxford Uni are now suddenly nazis I cannot understand. I hope someone who writes good letters gets this story into the local papers.
Slimslad said 'I am not from Newcastle' the other day. No he may not be but I am sure he is there now from all I have read.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:41 pm

Is that the field worker whose aunt had a Cornish second cousin?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:41 pm

By the way, the story also got into The Telegraph.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:17 am

Abs. spot on with all your comments above, Carbilly.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:30 am

The scientists are reportedly mystified about why Cornish genetics should remain so distinct, but it's no mystery really. Devon was fully integrated into West Saxon territory from the 10th century and, over centuries, received a large influx of people from further east. Cornwall remained as a Celtic kingdom independent from Wessex until the Norman period, when its kingdom was transmuted into an Earldom and finally Duchy. Even then, this is more a matter of office-based administration than about movements of people. Apart from the area north of the Ottery, a small area south of Launceston, and another west of Plymouth Sound (as evidenced by place-names), there was never any significant in-migrations for centuries. In fact, the phenomenon of mass in-migration has only really taken place in the last 60 years or so, and that is far too brief a time to have had any genetic dilution effects.

Carvath

Post by Carvath » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:41 am

Yes Marhak, except for the slight blurring at the border emphasised by the areas you describe, the place name differences as one drives from Cornwall into Devon along the A30/A38/A39, from Celtic to Saxon are quite striking.

Kevrenor

Post by Kevrenor » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:45 am

Oh dear, one of my NY resolutions was to not get sucked into commenting on TIC, but I do have a look at times.

What total numpties the naysayers are. I laughed, and laughed.

Perhaps someone in/near London should be going to this exhibition in July and having a little chat about history to them.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:55 am

Even the Mail's running the story. That's three nationals it's been in up to now.

I'm waiting for Radio "Cornwall" and the Northcliffe local papers to start claiming that the report had to say this as a nod to one of the Oxford lab technicians, whose aunt had a second cousin whose grandson had a girlfriend from Redruth.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:38 am

I read the article too Marhak and as you mention it certainly is an interesting read. I'm pleased to say as I have already stated many times, my history can be traced back over 400 years in the rural communities of west Cornwall.
As the article mentions the DNA was taken from rural communities with 4 generations of grandparents still living in the same locality.
It's a fine article but as I always say to people interested in Cornwall - to see the real Cornwall head west to Pewith! Here you find many interesting small communities whose families go back generations and as in the case of the Penwith Moors - way of life is little changed.