Adders!!

Topical debate
mockinbird

Adders!!

Post by mockinbird » Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:11 am

Have any of you noticed more adders about this year? Mt dog had a very nasty bite a couple of weeks ago and since, so many people have told me about seeing more than usual out on the downs and on the cliff paths. To help get the experience out of my system and with practical help, I've written about on my website.. it might help. www.livingincornwall.com

zennorman2

Re: Adders!!

Post by zennorman2 » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:13 am

Strangely, I have not seen an adder for 30 years. I hope that does not mean I see one now. Hate the bloody things. Can't understand why they are protected. May be the wet and relatively warm weather that they like.

mockinbird

Post by mockinbird » Sat Jun 23, 2012 11:43 am

The mention of the vile things, makes me shudder!! I know when one has an experience such as this, you tend to hear accounts; however, my dog was bitten on Flora day, and since, one friend has seen four on the cliff path from Coverack to Blackhead, and the most startling was a cow that was bitten on the nose, the cow was unwell but undiagnosed and it died four days later!! I am assured this is true as extravagant as it sounds!

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat Jun 23, 2012 8:04 pm

I get quite irritated by people moaning about adders. You walk in the wild - they live there. Your dog gets bitten, ooh, big surprise! They're there in the same way gorse is - if you come up against it, you're going home bloody...
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

Kathlovenn

Post by Kathlovenn » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:08 am

I wonder what these statistics would be:
dogs injured by adders
dogs injured by dogs
dogs injured by humans

Carbilly

Post by Carbilly » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:01 am

Adder numbers are declining in Britain, and certainly in Cornwall. They are nothing like as numerous as they were, say, 20 years ago and we should be making a special effort to conserve these beautiful creatures.
After all, in their cliff-top habitat, them and the gulls are just about the only locals left.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Jun 24, 2012 1:10 pm

A few have been seen about this year, but I had a hour and half stank across and around Carn Kenidjack a couple of Fridays ago (a well-known area for them) and never saw a single one. It tends to be soon after they come out of hibernation that they bite, because their senses are still half asleep. When fully awake, they're very sensitive to ground vibration, such as footsteps, and retreat from it.

I remember once letting my horse get her head down and graze when she suddenly jerked her head back, with an intake of breath that was uncannily human in sound. She'd disturbed an adder and it struck out at her. Happily, she was quicker than the adder was.

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Sun Jun 24, 2012 2:39 pm

mockinbird

Post by mockinbird » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:14 pm

Pleeezz, TK, a plea from a squeamish 'girl"!! Remove the video - just looking at the vile thing on my computer screen, gives me the heebie-jeebies!!

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:31 pm

mockinbird wrote:...just looking at the vile thing on my computer screen, gives me the heebie-jeebies!!
The best treatment for townie trauma - familiarity! :

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:42 pm

We all know there are no snakes in Ireland, but there are none on Scilly, either. I hadn't heard that St Patrick had been there.

mockinbird

Post by mockinbird » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:16 pm

While I take on board the comments that were posted regarding Adders a few weeks ago; some of us love our dogs and hate to see them in distress caused by being bitten; I just want to add, that I've heard of 3 dogs being bitten out Godrevy/Gwitian over last few days. Odd, as it's been so cold and wet; maybe dogs aren't seeing them in the lush vegetation!