Republic threat to Cornwall

Topical debate
Fulub-le-Breton

Re: Republic threat to Cornwall

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:59 am

From Republic:
Since getting started earlier this year the independent Labour for a Republic group has been busy organising meetings and planning its future activities. Now I'm keen to see that replicated in the Conservative and Liberal Democrat parties (more on other parties below). That's why meetings are being held over the coming months to kick-start these campaign groups.

Building support for a republic within existing political parties is a key part of our long-term strategy. We have supporters right across the political spectrum and from all mainstream political parties - we need to tap into that support.

These groups are independent of Republic - they are groups within the political parties and made up of republicans who want to promote the cause to fellow party members. We already have Facebook pages for Labour, Lib Dem and Conservative supporters - now we want to see all these groups get organised.

Here's how you can get involved:

Conservatives for a Republic
Attend the first meeting on Saturday September 8
11am at the Resource Centre
356 Holloway Road, London N7 6PA
If you'd like to attend or get involved please email me at graham@republic.org.uk

Liberal Democrats for a Republic
Attend the first meeting on Saturday September 8
2pm at the Resource Centre
356 Holloway Road, London N7 6PA
If you'd like to attend or get involved please email me at graham@republic.org.uk

Labour for a Republic
Get in touch with group coordinator Lesley Newton, simply send an email to lesley@labourforarepublic.org.uk

Don't worry, we haven't forgotten the other political parties!

Republic Wales and Republic Scotland are responsible for devolved campaigning - if you would like to set up a campaign group within the SNP or Plaid Cymru send an email to enquiries@republicscotland.org or enquiries@republic-wales.org. We would also encourage Greens to establish a group within their party - although Republic has to prioritise its resources at the moment we do want to see a Greens for a Republic group established.
Not such ardent unionists after all then.

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:57 pm

Fulub-le-Breton wrote:From Republic:
Don't worry, we haven't forgotten the other political parties!

Republic Wales and Republic Scotland are responsible for devolved campaigning - if you would like to set up a campaign group within the SNP or Plaid Cymru send an email to enquiries@republicscotland.org or enquiries@republic-wales.org.
Fulub-le-Breton wrote:Not such ardent unionists after all then.
Well, Fulub, 'Republic' appear to have 'forgotten' MK and they appear to currently only recognise Wales and Scotland as the other constituent nations of mainland Britain when, as you well know, Cornwall is the fourth. As you appear to have developed intimate lines of communication with 'Republic' perhaps you will be good enough to educate Mr Smith and bring him up to speed in his anglo-centric bunker?

Stephen Richardson

Post by Stephen Richardson » Thu Jul 12, 2012 6:44 pm

A Cornish Assembly is far more important than the Republican cause. As much as I believe that any unelected monarchy is anti-democratic, it is just as anti-democratic for a republic to deny any nation their right to self-determination.

As the France/Brittany situation shows, being a republic doesn't mean a thing. Until 'Republic' can support devolution to Cornwall then they are no better than what we have at the moment - and may be worse if their policies consolidate the idea that Cornwall is in any way part of England.

At the same time it does no harm to keep lines of communication open. I did contact Republic last year and explained the true constitutional status of Cornwall and what the aspirations of Cornish nationalists were. They promised to review their outlook on Cornwall. If this approach is in any way representative of a 'review' then what hope is there that they might recognise a Cornish nation when they have not taken the opportunity to do so now?

I fear that Republic are just another organisational wall that the Cornish nation will be banging its head against - but the head-banging needs to be done.
When one person suffers from a delusion it is called insanity. When many people suffer from a delusion it is called religion.

Ludgvan

Post by Ludgvan » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:42 pm

Stephen Richardson says:
I did contact Republic last year and explained the true constitutional status of Cornwall and what the aspirations of Cornish nationalists were.
It's my understanding that quite a few people have informed Republic, and have offered to provide further explanation as needed. Republic, and Graham Smith have been on the scene for quite a few years, and would have picked up the basics of Cornwall's constitutional situation by now had they wanted to. Instead of this, however, they emphasise and re-emphasise in their statement their wish and intention to effectively separate Cornwall from its honours, privileges and powers (as well as grabbing from Cornwall the Duchy landholdings - some inherited from pre-Norman times - and property aquired from the subsequent investment and re-investment of the revenue from taxing tin) - and to hijack these for the UK.

"Republic believes that the Duchy’s revenue, like that of the Crown Estate, should be paid to the Treasury to fund public services.

The campaign calls for stewardship of the estate’s land and property to be transferred to the Crown Estate or a separate board of fully accountable commissioners, with its net profit passing directly to the Treasury for the benefit of all taxpayers.

The Duchy belongs to the nation

[The Duchy] is the property of the nation as a whole. The benefits must be shared by the nation"

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:14 pm

Ludgvan wrote: The Duchy belongs to the nation
[The Duchy] is the property of the nation as a whole. The benefits must be shared by the nation"[/color]
An interesting set of words.
Which 'nation as a whole' could 'Republic' possibly be referring to?
The UK?
England?
Apparently the concept and fact of Cornwall as the distinct fourth nation of mainland Britain doesn't inhabit the orbit of Mr Smith's 'in denial' consciousness.
As the territorial Duchy of Cornwall and Cornwall and her assets are co-terminus this would appear to suggest
that denial of current and future Cornish nationhood and yet more hijack and theft of Cornwall and her assets from the people of Cornwall are being proposed...
Same old, same old?

What compensation to the people of Cornwall for the requisition of those Duchy of Cornwall assets e.g the Oval cricket ground etc etc etc, acquired with stolen Cornish wealth, held outside the territorial Duchy would Mr Smith propose offering the people of Cornwall if he were to accept that the most relevant nation in the equation is Cornwall herself - full commercial value?
Last edited by TeamKernow on Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Thu Jul 12, 2012 9:23 pm

I think what you say is spot on, S. Richardson, except that many others seem to believe that Republic/G. Smith have ad ample opportunity to check the Cornish angle, yet have completely failed to do so; this leads me I think that their belated sound bytes to some Cornish Nats is just that, hot air, as they seem to pursue their own quite specific and limited Royal-free agenda. I'll be asking them some interesting questions in Truro, and hopefully send them packing back to England with some v different ideas of Cornwall & the Cornish, cheeky f***ers...I

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:56 am

Here you all go again - trying to convince some pro-republican movement that somehow Cornwall is not part of England.
No-one sees Cornwall as a country except the loony nationalist movement in the county.
Even MK have distanced themselves from this lot to gain some more votes and make them more acceptable to the electorate in Cornwall.

TGG

Post by TGG » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:26 pm

Fulub, the Cornish Movement has “managed to do NOTHING”, because they have NEVER fully-embraced the issue and tried. They have never done so, because they completely fail to see the significance, or relevance, of what the SUPPRESSION of ‘the Duchy’ constitution, and its replacement with an illegally constructed ‘administrative English (sic) county, has meant to internal, and external, perceptions of Cornish Rights. The biggest failure is to acknowledge the crucial part that it has played in being the catalyst for the processes, which has no other definition than “the Genocide of the Cornish Nation.” If that is felt to be unbelievable, then there can be no serious belief in a Cornish Nation, and we should seriously question what the past 100 years has been about?

What you describe as “the constitutionalists” have already done what they can do, and will continue doing, namely, providing the information that is avaiable, as it becomes available, but (as with any future book(s) on Cornish Law) it is only as good as those front-line activists that find the courage to pick up and run with it. The information is no more than a tool for others to use. If we play the game by being deferential to the rules of ‘others’, then we have nowhere to go. Would the Duke, and/or his mother, wish to wash their dirty linen in public?

There is no doubt that any serious attempt to ‘abolish’ the Duchy – not that Republic have shown that they know what it is! – will result in a constitutional crisis, but there is a danger that too much faith in a “Republic” (taking Stephen’s France/Brittany example) may represent a false dawn. Yes! We should ALL take advantage of the publicity, but we should ALL have already been doing that - and exposing the lies and deception and its consequences for Cornish Rights! - over the past several decades.

TGGFor The (Real)Reason Why!
STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE! -
They declare their Cornishness with pride
Whilst oblivious to our genocide
That England imposes
With smiles and Red Roses
Where the innocents, so gullibly, reside.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Jul 13, 2012 12:35 pm

Trev (pops up like Zebedee, doesn't he?) obviously didn't see the royal barge 'Gloriana' on the 3rd June, then. Sorry, Trev, but your "royals" think we're a distinct constituent nation of Britain. Go argue with them.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:36 pm

Marhak - it was great to see the Gloriana in June - however, a county flag flying on a barge has nothing to do with nationhood! Plenty of Devon flags flying on the same day. It's no good getting excited about flags - they do not always represent a nation - otherwise all the counties with flags in England would be countries!!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Jul 13, 2012 3:20 pm

No Devon flags flying in a group comprising those of the UK constituent nations (plus courtesy flag of the City of London). No Yorkshire flags, Surrey flags, York or Lancastrian flags. But Kernow's flag was there. Obviously, for you, the sun still rises in the west. Nor was it a "barge", but the Royal Barge. Your non-arguments really are wearing thin now.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:22 pm

Yes! We should ALL take advantage of the publicity
Now that sounds like good sense to me TGG!

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Fri Jul 13, 2012 5:20 pm

No Devon flags flying in a group comprising those of the UK constituent nations (plus courtesy flag of the City of London).
+ courtesy flag of the county of Cornwall.
You know as well as I, Marhak Cornwall has never been a constituent nation of the UK.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:29 pm

God! You make me wanna punch you in the face, you sad old twat, TrevorPen. You're an obnoxious, ignorant, provocative, argumentative English sheep in Cornish clothing.

Read John Angarrack's Our Future is History, among others, and please point out the wrong parts or untrue bits, you sad pr*ck. how much to your masters pay you to keep spreading your gospel of English sh*te.

Come the next Cornish uprising - not as fanciful as you think - I'll enjoy shoving a sword up your arse and spitting on your quisling grave, over in England, you sad, pathetic, old Cornwall-denier.

When you're not denigrating the Cornish, do you spend the rest of your time abusing children, you excuse for a man? When they bang you up for peadophilia, I hope some psychopath disembowels you too.

Now sod off and learn some real facts about Cornwall, in that way, you may better understand all the nationalist-led changes that are occurring around you daily.

Tw*t

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:26 pm

You know as well as I do, Trev, that it is a constituent nation of Britain, and always has been. Remember the pre-Tudor official documents before rampant English nationalism took over (The British Sea > "English" Channel, etc)? Anglia et Cornubia? No? Do some serious reading. Nothing too strenuous, just a bit of an advance on Noddy in Toyland (oh, and they wrote out the golliwogs, by the way).