Republic threat to Cornwall

Topical debate
TeamKernow

Re: Republic threat to Cornwall

Post by TeamKernow » Fri Jul 13, 2012 10:01 pm

TGG wrote:...it is only as good as those front-line activists that find the courage to pick up and run with it. The information is no more than a tool for others to use.

:idea: KernowCalling
:idea: scoring significant successes - worthy of an informing/informative browse and support.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:07 am

Just some after thoughts on republicanism.

Mention has been made of the French republic and its rather totalitarian centralism. Trust me I'm fully aware of this situation. Germany and the USA are also republics however and I'm sure all Cornish nationalists would be happy to give their right tooth to obtain the kind of autonomy enjoyed by a US state or German lander. All this to say that republicanism is not an answer in itself to the Cornish question. For me it is simply a question of principle. The royals, as part of the anglo-british establishment, have been at the spear head of screwing Kernow. The duchy itself seems to me to be the driving force behind what TGG calls the Cornish Genocide. Today they certainly don't help in any way shape or form. Equally I don't believe anybody is born better than anybody else. This unhealthy symbol of privileged along with the rest of the royal edifice is a large part of the glue that holds the anglo-british empire together. To kill a dragon cut off its head. Republicanism doesn't have the wind in its sails at the moment but then again neither does Cornish nationalism. This doesn't stop me from supporting both.

If you threaten the Duchy with liquidation perhaps it might consider trying to secure its place in the hearts and minds of the Cornish once more.

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:17 am

Some good comments, Fulup

TeamKernow

Post by TeamKernow » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:46 am

More excellent material for Mr Smith to digest, absorb, incorporate into his orientation
and understanding and modify his output accordingly :idea: HERE :idea:

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Jul 15, 2012 10:24 am

As expected from "Save Cornwall", a very well written, and well -researched, piece indeed.

Although the (native) name of Cornwall appears in the place-name Durocornovio in the Ravenna Cosmography (c.700 AD, compiled from sources of c.400 AD), the first recorded mention of Cornwall and the Cornish people as distinct entities was in 875 AD, when the Annales Cambriae record: "Dungarth rex Cerniu, id est Cornubiae, mersus est" (Donyarth, king of Kernow, that is, of the Cornish people, is drowned). That, of course, was 15 years BEFORE any written mention of an entity called England (Englaland 890 AD).

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:39 pm

Don't forget to attend the launch of the new Abolish the Duchy of Cornwall campaign Saturday, September 29, 2012
1:30 pm - 4:00 pm, Truro Community Library, Union Place, Truro TR1 1EP. Go along to defend the Cornish national point of view. http://www.republic.org.uk/updates/?eve ... y-campaign

There are plenty of us who'll want to know what happens.

factotum

Post by factotum » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:27 pm

They seem to want the duchy lands to go to the Crown Estates. The Scots are not at all happy about the way Crown Estates deals with their property north of the border. It might be well worth looking into their problems and complaints and any possible solutions they have. Of course the real solution is independence ...

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Sep 25, 2012 1:37 pm

This Saturday. You need to email them if attending. I hope a good few will.
http://www.republic.org.uk/updates/?eve ... y-campaign
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:38 pm

So? What happened?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:03 pm

Hello.....anybody out there who might have attended?