A way forward for Cornish history and heritage

Topical debate
Marhak

Re: A way forward for Cornish history and heritage

Post by Marhak » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:55 am

Why ask the question at all? If, for example, an Englishman wants to register himself as English, or a Scotsman as Scottish, no one asks why. It's accepted, as it should be. Why do we always have to justify who we are? Why are we not afforded the same respect and acceptance as everyone else?

3cornishchoughs

Post by 3cornishchoughs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:36 am

I suggested there was the possibility of a 'funding application' which isn't exactly the same as 'sponsorship and buy-in' and that wasn't the purpose of my posting to C24... the purpose was to get an idea of what initiatives in the past have been tried and failed (or are succeeding) and what if anything more can be done to promote Cornish history and heritage within and beyond the Duchy, e.g. I picked up on this past thread from 2008. cornishhistory.co.uk is still registered but no site exists:

discussion/topic4100.html

Reason for not being interested in working with institutions is because the power of crowdsourcing (and even crowdfunding) has been proven in several initiatives (take a look at sponsume and kickstarter projects) and this could be another. Institutions tend also to work very slowly and have their own agendas to fulfil which can be limiting.

@Mahrak - this is a good series indeed--thanks for reminding me of Hamilton Jenkin's trilogy. I have only dipped into this as I don't own my own copy. I haven't been able to collect them all but it is good to see them widely available. The subjects complemented with a Cornish Sourcebook style site--there are many sources in the public domain now-- which draws together evidence and shows people where they can go to read more of the primary sources would encourage the study and debate of Cornish history beyond Cornwall too, which is what I would like to see. What happened to cornovia.org.uk ?

I am currently re-reading 'Cornwall, Land of the Gods' by T.F.G. Dexter. In spite its title, its subject is much broader, particularly interesting take on landscape, deep history and spirituality.
3cornishchoughs

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:53 pm

Cornish history/ heritage is all part of Cornwall, like anywhere in the country has it's own uniqueness.
If it is strong, which it is is will survive and carry on to the next generations.
You cannot impose weaker parts of our culture, for instance language, if is strong it will go from strength to strength otherwise it will wither, as it has done.
Place names, family names will always be with us.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:12 pm

It's hardly weak when over 80% of our place-names are in the Cornish language. And when thousands of bilingual street-name signs are going up (at no extra expense to the public, I might add).

Rosko

Post by Rosko » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:39 pm

3cornishchoughs, I like your thinking and what you write. Please ignore the garbled nonsense from our resident village idiot on this forum, TrevorPen, as you have probably already guessed his off-topic and incoherent ramblings are just that; if you ignore him, he'll go away; my God, if any place, whether Cornwall or anywhere else was full of weak individuals like TrevorPen, we'd already be living in a perfectly homogeneous, grey, boring, straight-jacketed, predictable and sad world...